Poppies

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
With Remembrance day soon approaching we were discussing the significance of poppies. We use them to remind us of those who died to defend our way of life. Yet our armed forces are in Afghanistan destroying poppy fields that are the sole crop that many farmers can grow there. Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this picture?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
taxable dude,

You got dis ting back asswords. Poppy production has gone up 100 fold since we got there. We are actually protecting the crops. Over there we are just hired goons for the CIA.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
With Remembrance day soon approaching we were discussing the significance of poppies. We use them to remind us of those who died to defend our way of life. Yet our armed forces are in Afghanistan destroying poppy fields that are the sole crop that many farmers can grow there. Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this picture?

Why are Poppies the "sole" thing they "can" grow there?:-? Something does sound
wrong with a picture that only allows one crop?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Why are Poppies the "sole" thing they "can" grow there?:-? Something does sound
wrong with a picture that only allows one crop?
It's a more lucrative crop than tulips. And besides, the Netherlands have that market pretty much sewn up.
Hyacinths maybe? I wonder if you can get high from hyacinths.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
The Rememberance Day poppy is representing the poppies that grow in Flanders field among the grave stones of our fallen soldiers,it has nothing to do with any poppies grown for heroin in Afganistan.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
So it's not the "sole" crop they "can" grow, but the Heroin market is much
more profitable than Barley or Cabbages or Rhubarb or whatever then?
I would imagine that'd be it, yup. Cacti manage to live in such harsh environments without maintenance, poppies and others need care.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I would imagine that'd be it, yup. Cacti manage to live in such harsh environments without maintenance, poppies and others need care.

As do grain and cereal crops, nuts, fruits, etc....which use to be the primary exports form
Afghanistan along with carpets precious & semiprecious stones, and so on and so forth...

....and the Opening Post states this Poppy thing why? Hmmm....:-?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The Rememberance Day poppy is representing the poppies that grow in Flanders field among the grave stones of our fallen soldiers,it has nothing to do with any poppies grown for heroin in Afganistan.

Absolutely right!

As far as Afghanistan poppies are concerned, I can't help thinking the CIA is not too far away.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
As do grain and cereal crops, nuts, fruits, etc....which use to be the primary exports form
Afghanistan along with carpets precious & semiprecious stones, and so on and so forth...

....and the Opening Post states this Poppy thing why? Hmmm....:-?
I've no idea about the motives of some of the posters here. lol

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Absolutely right!

As far as Afghanistan poppies are concerned, I can't help thinking the CIA is not too far away.
Yeah. It almost follows, doesn't it? A la VietNam, Venezuela, Iran/Contra, Soviet Afghanistan, etc.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
And yet no one mentioned the real reason poppies are the only crop. The warlords, gang leaders what ever you want to call them force the farmers into growing them so they can make money to buy guns whatever they want, and have been doing it for hundreds of years. Yes the UN sometime used these local leaders for their own needs. The poppy is just about the only cash crop a farmer can grow. They cannot grow enough food to see them thru the year.

"Follow the Yellow Brick Road" Yellow Brick is the word.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
And yet no one mentioned the real reason poppies are the only crop. The warlords, gang leaders what ever you want to call them force the farmers into growing them so they can make money to buy guns whatever they want, and have been doing it for hundreds of years. Yes the UN sometime used these local leaders for their own needs. The poppy is just about the only cash crop a farmer can grow. They cannot grow enough food to see them thru the year.

"Follow the Yellow Brick Road" Yellow Brick is the word.
Um, that's what I meant by lucrative, but I guess you missed it, though. And the last I heard its how the CIA likes to raise money to supply someone with guns.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
taxable dude,

You got dis ting back asswords. Poppy production has gone up 100 fold since we got there. We are actually protecting the crops. Over there we are just hired goons for the CIA.

The only reason for the poppies is heroin rather than medicine like it should be. So you are saying that the CIA promotes heroin production, the number one market for which is the land of the CIA where heroin just happens to be against the law and other branches of the same government are spending vast sums of money to toss their citizens in jail for having. Talk about a bureaucratic job creation project.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
If poppies is all Afgans can grow, let them eat poppies.

Stop ALL food shipment to them!

BTW, I know many wonderful recipes using poppy seeds. Yet if I tried to grow my own poppies I would end up in jail, while we spend money, lives and blood in order to support the Afgan "farmers" to groe poppies. Go, figure.