pope knocked down

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
This is something that should be taken seriously, and not just as some external event.

All religious world leaders are accorded a place on the Canadian order of precedence; His Holiness The Pope ranks just below The Honourable Eva Aariak, Government Leader of Nunavut while in Canada. This demonstrates the importance that Canadians, as a society and as a people, place on religious leaders and institutions. If there was indeed a mental illness that played a part, then a simple charge of mischief or something similarly casual would be quite appropriate — however, were an attack on The Pope ever to be deliberate and premeditated, then a charge similar to treason would be warranted within the legal jurisdiction of the State of the Vatican City.

If the pope ever visited Nunavut I can guarantee you the people would be on their knees bowing to him.There's a reason they all are named after someone in the bible and that's mostly from the influence of the early catholic missionaries.

Ive met Eva,took her and other dignitaries on a mine tour in a snow cat.:cool:
But that's another story.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
If the pope ever visited Nunavut I can guarantee you the people would be on their knees bowing to him.There's a reason they all are named after someone in the bible and that's mostly from the influence of the early catholic missionaries.

When JPII visited Fort Simpson, on the Mackenzie R, NWT, in 1987, thousands of native people from all over the north traveled to see him there. He got a rousing reception. And yes Catholic Missionaries were instrumental in opening up the Canadian north. In fact they were the amongst the original European pathfinders for ALL of the Americas.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
When JPII visited Fort Simpson, on the Mackenzie R, NWT, in 1987, thousands of native people from all over the north traveled to see him there. He got a rousing reception. And yes Catholic Missionaries were instrumental in opening up the Canadian north. In fact they were the amongst the original European pathfinders for ALL of the Americas.
I know two native women who were present at that meeting and they both concur that the pontife went there to apologize for the church having been so pompass as to have assumed that they were bringing god to the heathen savages because they (the native people) already had their own connection to the creator.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I know two native women who were present at that meeting and they both concur that the pontife went there to apologize for the church having been so pompass as to have assumed that they were bringing god to the heathen savages because they (the native people) already had their own connection to the creator.

Well again, cliffy, you seem to be getting your information from a few misanthropes. The large majority of those people came to celebrate their Catholic faith. The Pontiff made no apology for bringing the Truth to 'heathens'. As with all of his trips he went to spread the Good News and Gospel on Christ, to bring light into darkness.

The 'religions' of the Americas ranged from human sacrifice on a monumental scale in Aztec and Inca cultures, to animist cultures plagued by the feast and famine, the hard realities of survival, of hunter gatherer societies in North America. These societies which, as with all cultures, are characterized by their religion, were plagued with constant conflict and cruelty. The myth of a pristine ecological utopia of peaceful noble savages NEVER existed.

The charge that the 'Conquistadors' brought the same, does not discriminate between the two clear motives of the European exploration, one searching for loot, the other for souls.

Virtually everywhere the Catholic missionaries went they found converts. That's nothing new. The Christian message is so radically different, up lifting and hopeful, that the native populations abandoned their own 'connection with their creator' in droves.

They weren't, however, plagued with the profound cynicism and pessimism of modern Western relativism which you exemplify, cliffy.. which makes conversion far more difficult.. although.. not impossible. :smile:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Well again, cliffy, you seem to be getting your information from a few misanthropes. The large majority of those people came to celebrate their Catholic faith. The Pontiff made no apology for bringing the Truth to 'heathens'. As with all of his trips he went to spread the Good News and Gospel on Christ, to bring light into darkness.

The 'religions' of the Americas ranged from human sacrifice on a monumental scale in Aztec and Inca cultures, to animist cultures plagued by the feast and famine, the hard realities of survival, of hunter gatherer societies in North America. These societies which, as with all cultures, are characterized by their religion, were plagued with constant conflict and cruelty. The myth of a pristine ecological utopia of peaceful noble savages NEVER existed.

The charge that the 'Conquistadors' brought the same, does not discriminate between the two clear motives of the European exploration, one searching for loot, the other for souls.

Virtually everywhere the Catholic missionaries went they found converts. That's nothing new. The Christian message is so radically different, up lifting and hopeful, that the native populations abandoned their own 'connection with their creator' in droves.

They weren't, however, plagued with the profound cynicism and pessimism of modern Western relativism which you exemplify, cliffy.. which makes conversion far more difficult.. although.. not impossible. :smile:

To bring light into darkness? lol, what are you smoking? More like trying to find more suckers to feed the coffers of the church.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Were you there? One of these women is a well respected elder and spiritual leader and her word is, dare I say, gospel. You, on the other hand, do have a rose coloured view of the "mission" of the first missionaries. When they arrived, millions were dying of European diseases and the missionaries offered a relief in the form of vaccines for Small Pox and dysentery, provided they converted. If they refused they were left to die.

I do not see the way things were as some mythological utopia, Far from it, but there was ballance on this continent as shown by the abundance of wildlife and old growth forests. We, with our wonderful god and our self righteousness, have destroyed all that.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well again, cliffy, you seem to be getting your information from a few misanthropes. The large majority of those people came to celebrate their Catholic faith. The Pontiff made no apology for bringing the Truth to 'heathens'. As with all of his trips he went to spread the Good News and Gospel on Christ, to bring light into darkness. :smile:

Wow....trippy. Is that how he worded it? Heathens? That just kind of sounds
pretty disrespectful, & I thought the Pope was....different than that. Are all
Non-Christians Heathens? :-?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yup! You are going to burn if you don't kiss his Holy ring, heathen!:roll:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC

Heathens - definition - an unconverted individual of a people that do not acknowledge the God of the (Christian) Bible, a pagan

Some of the biggest heathens around now are thoroughly Westernized neopagans, of European origin... who celebrate Old Growth Forests, or Orcas, or Polar Bears as idols of an entropic 'creative' force, defined by the cruel logic of Darwinian natural selection, lacking any destiny whatsoever, beyond that fragment of existence between an accidental alignment of a few carbon molecules (of unexplained origin).. and the explosion of our sun into a Red Giant, or the reversal of the 'Big Bang' into an infinitely hot singularity.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Heathen - a people who haven't been introduced to the churches tradition of pedophilia and making billions from the sweat of others, who haven't been introduced to Paul's hatred of women or the churches habit of stealing local myths to con the natives into converting.

You want to play this game coldstream? I can match you BS for BS.

By the way, a pagan originally meant someone who lived in the country as opposed to a city.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Were you there? One of these women is a well respected elder and spiritual leader and her word is, dare I say, gospel. You, on the other hand, do have a rose coloured view of the "mission" of the first missionaries. When they arrived, millions were dying of European diseases and the missionaries offered a relief in the form of vaccines for Small Pox and dysentery, provided they converted. If they refused they were left to die.

I do not see the way things were as some mythological utopia, Far from it, but there was ballance on this continent as shown by the abundance of wildlife and old growth forests. We, with our wonderful god and our self righteousness, have destroyed all that.

I'm quite used to seeing self appointed shamans and witch doctors define themselves as elders or matriarchs or whatever of their culture. Since there was no written tradition prior to the arrival of the Europeans in most of these northern aboriginal cultures, the roots are often of thoroughly recent.. and POLITICAL.. origins.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It is not hard for a discerning mind to tell the difference between BS and honesty and integrity. I will take her word on my experience with her. You, on the other hand, have proved to be dishonest even with yourself and your self righteousness is not worthy of consideration. Having been a catholic, I know the inner workings of the church are as corrupt as any other modern government.