Pope Francis means business. Starts cleaning house?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
hehe Man invented the gods, so if gods are perfect, man must be, too, right? lol
If you believe man invented God(s) then yes you would be correct to a point. It would then depend upon the God(s)rituals, rules and such, would it not? Then we have that one thing that always screws up, not by all mind you - man and interpretation(s).

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Have you noticed the Church is going to investigate the banks no mention of its sex crimes
however. The Pope must address that problem the bank can be looked after by the Italian
authorities.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Have you noticed the Church is going to investigate the banks no mention of its sex crimes
however. The Pope must address that problem the bank can be looked after by the Italian
authorities.

Do you think it is not on the list? He has been Pope for approx 100 days.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If you believe man invented God(s) then yes you would be correct to a point. It would then depend upon the God(s)rituals, rules and such, would it not? Then we have that one thing that always screws up, not by all mind you - man and interpretation(s).
Interpretations is why it wouldn't be right. Perfection is too relative to interpretation. My idea of a perfect god would be one that actually cared for its invention like I do my daughters. Someone else might have a different idea of perfection.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Interpretations is why it wouldn't be right. Perfection is too relative to interpretation. My idea of a perfect god would be one that actually cared for its invention like I do my daughters. Someone else might have a different idea of perfection.
My belief tell me that Jesus does.
God in my belief gave us free will.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
There is no free will if there is (an) omniscient god(s). If the god(s) know the future, they know our chotces and hence our fate. Therefore our fate is known before our existence. As a cosequence, from birth there is no escape. However, if the god(s) do not know our future, the god(s) are limited in power. if they are limited, are they omnipotent? If not, are they gods?

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There is no free will if there is (an) omniscient god(s). If the god(s) know the future, they know our chotces and hence our fate. Therefore our fate is known before our existence. As a cosequence, from birth there is escape. However, if the god(s) do not know our future, the god(s) are limited in power. if they are limited, are they omnipotent? If not, are they gods?

Free will to decide upon what action to take. Then what comes from those decisions changes your life and direction does it not?
You are going from a conceived opinion as am I.

Then why all the punishment due to ancestors'/parents' sins? That just doesn't seem just and caring, to me.
That's fine but its antithetical to what science has indicated to far.
Some believe in that, I do not. Original Sin is what I think you are referring to?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Free will to decide upon what action to take. Then what comes from those decisions changes your life and direction does it not?
You are going from a conceived opinion as am I.
lol No free will. We are exactly what our DNA says we are and everything we think is directed by our brains. We can only think the way we think because of that cranial organ. And that includes reflexes. In effect we are slaves to our brains' interpretations of our environment and what our DNA says our brains are.

Some believe in that, I do not. Original Sin is what I think you are referring to?
Nope. I'm thinking of newborns born with nasty diseases and syndromes and the like. They haven't had the chance to sin yet pay for parents' and ancestors' sins. If I were a god, I wouldn't allow that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Except for politics and religion, Goober, we agree on almost half of what remains.

Question - Why would you and others attribute beliefs to me as a Christian that I do not have? On these Threads I have been as clear as a bell on my beliefs. Does anyone think that I am alone it that?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nope. I'm thinking of newborns born with nasty diseases and syndromes and the like. They haven't had the chance to sin yet pay for parents' and ancestors' sins. If I were a god, I wouldn't allow that.

It is not according to my beliefs. And I have no issue with the 3 parent medical technology that will/could rid the world of these diseases.

Then clarify. Do you believe in hell?

Nope. We are all going to heaven in a little row boat. Some may have to row harder is all.
I also believe that those who do not believe can enter heaven.
Rather inclusive, much like a Liberal. Big tent, we take em all.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Stephen Roberts

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Thank the gods! Hell is one of the most pagan Christian beliefs

Originally earth was hell the place of trials and tribulations. The burning pit was home was heaven. Stars are burning pits and we are star dust. How backward have we got the ancient christian thing? Pagan theology is impossible to remove from the human experience since it is based on observable nature of long durable utility. We can never wander away from that while in the meaty form. It is impossible.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Pope Francis means business.Starts cleaning house?
Pope sets up special review of scandal-plagued Vatican bank - The Globe and Mail

Pope Francis has set up a special commission to review the activities of the scandal-plagued Vatican bank to ensure that it operated in “harmony” with the mission of the Catholic Church, the Vatican said on Wednesday.

The appointment of the five-member panel, which includes four prelates and a woman Harvard professor, is the boldest move yet by Francis to get to grips with a bank that embarrassed the church for decades.

The Institute for Works of Religion (IOR) as the bank is formally known, has long been tarnished by accusations that it has failed to meet international transparency standards intended to combat money laundering and tax evasion.

The Vatican said in a statement the commission would enable Francis “to know better the judicial position and the activities of the Institute to allow an improved harmonization with the mission of the universal church”.

It said the commission would have full powers to obtain all documentation and data necessary although the powers of existing regulators would not be affected.

The Pope has laid great emphasis on removing an image of privilege from Church operations and IOR’s new president Ernst von Freyberg has begun a review of all its accounts and activities.

Italian magistrates are investigating the bank on suspicion of money laundering, a charge the bank denies.

Methinks Frank will soon get a dose of reality!

Then clarify. Do you believe in hell?

Yep, Hell is made and perpetuated by man.