POLL: Should a Grade 12 Education Be Mandatory?

Should a Grade 12 Education Be Mandatory?

• Ya

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm not singling him or his situation out but things are changing rapidly and employers are demanding the 12

If slacker Jimmy doesn't have grade 12, slacker Jimmy can't get into trades like the old days. There are no "fall back' options anymore. Even for GL jobs they want that 12.

When he decides to complete his grade 12, he will do it well because it will be a means to an end, he
will need it and want it, right now he doesn't connect to it, he is stuck tredding water, and can't
figure out how to move forward, and isn't motivated, he just needs a little time and space.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When he decides to complete his grade 12, he will do it well because it will be a means to an end, he
will need it and want it, right now he doesn't connect to it, he is stuck tredding water, and can't
figure out how to move forward, and isn't motivated, he just needs a little time and space.
How much further to go?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
For people at that age, sure. Just because so many will not hire them without a high school diploma. My father was an engineer for over 20 years but has been turned down for a lot of jobs because he did not finish his last year of high school. Personally, I dont see how reading King Lear is going to help him.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Ahhh, school! The smell of tempera paints, chalk, and dirty parkas. I'd go back in a trice.

For me, a trice being one hundred years, each.

If someone is not motivated at all, in the least, to go to grade 12, very likely grade 12 will be better off without them.

You ken drag a hor ta culture but ya can't make 'er think................."someone real witty said that"

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
For people at that age, sure. Just because so many will not hire them without a high school diploma. My father was an engineer for over 20 years but has been turned down for a lot of jobs because he did not finish his last year of high school. Personally, I dont see how reading King Lear is going to help him.

Well, that's just it, that sh*t is good for entertainment, possibly but really no different from watching an episode of Archie Bunker and it's all a matter of interpretation anyway. If you don't interpret it the same as the teacher you fail!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Education is all about critical thinking.

Interpretation is entirely subjective and in an academic setting, requires that support and justification for that opinion (interpretation) be provided

That stuff may be very useful for being competent on discussion forums and other social endeavours, but useless as far as most employment is concerned. (We have critical thinkers on here Cap't. BUT who do they convince?)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That stuff may be very useful for being competent on discussion forums and other social endeavours, but useless as far as most employment is concerned. (We have critical thinkers on here Cap't. BUT who do they convince?)

It's all in the depth of the argument that is put forward.

I don' think that you'll see too many people change their stripes entirely simply because a good argument is tabled, however, if those that are discussing an issue can offer an alternate perspective such that an opinion is altered somewhat, then the discussion has been a success.

Sometime if you're up early in the morning, tune into CBC AM around 05:00 or so... The BBC is aired at that time and often they have 2 individuals debate an issue (politics/economy in general). These guys are excellent examples of supporting a subjective position and articulating it carefully.

Anyways, just my take on things.

In terms of the OP - the ultimate trump card here is that if employers want grade 12, then that is the benchmark... For those that don't want to complete it (or can't), their options are essentially limited to low level opportunities or start the business themselves

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
North American english slang is just nature taking its route...

Pretty soon the english from Britian are going to sound the same as portuguese sounds to a spanish speaker... Or mabye the other way around :lol:... All retarded

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
There's a gulf of meaning between 'education' and 'education system'. The western systems have been co-opted to meet the needs of industry and finance and to perpetuate wage and debt slavery. When we grade education I don't think we use, enough, criteria independent of that established and popularized by those same establishment institutions . Someone mentioned critical thinking as an important subject taught in the western systems actually there is a huge body of research to suggest that exactly the opposite is the case. Compliance is the main subject in the west. Critical thinking is the sworn enemy of the establishment and public schools are the first brick in the establishment wall. Our children are gathered up everyday and stuffed into cubicles precisely to keep them from critical thinking and skills which will free them from the seductive established consumption of their lives by the bank monsters.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You ever been introduced to the BCTF?
No I live in Ontario.

I'm not singling him or his situation out but things are changing rapidly and employers are demanding the 12

If slacker Jimmy doesn't have grade 12, slacker Jimmy can't get into trades like the old days. There are no "fall back' options anymore. Even for GL jobs they want that 12.
Yes we were discussing this a few weeks ago. Take a simple, honest job such as custodian. It's not broom pushing anymore. They have to understand the many chemicals they deal with. Plus they have to be totally computer literate. All work orders, and instructions are computer generated.

As society becomes more sophisticated there will be many left behind. Work places are become very very specific about qualifications and there is little rule bending. In the old days people started at the bottom and rose up through the ranks and kept going according to ability. It doesn't work that way now.

Minimum grade 12 but these days a college diploma and BA really is more the average.

Not true at all. Situational analysis is a huge part of most jobs today. Critical thinking is vital to the work place environment which is all about production.

The other important quality youth need to learn is team work. If they can not work as a part of a group, they will limit who will hire them. Companies today may hire entirely upon whether or not you will fit into the existing staff. The reason for the importance of that is ebb and flow. They do not want people who will constantly b i t c h and complain. It disrupts production and creates a bad working environment for all. Skills can be taught... personality can not be changed.

Super high level positions will do hours of psychological testing before placing their leaders. Tis the way of the world now.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not true at all. Situational analysis is a huge part of most jobs today. Critical thinking is vital to the work place environment which is all about production.

The other important quality youth need to learn is team work. If they can not work as a part of a group, they will limit who will hire them. Companies today may hire entirely upon whether or not you will fit into the existing staff. The reason for the importance of that is ebb and flow. They do not want people who will constantly b i t c h and complain. It disrupts production and creates a bad working environment for all. Skills can be taught... personality can not be changed.

Super high level positions will do hours of psychological testing before placing their leaders. Tis the way of the world now.

O.K. - I stand corrected! -:)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
How much further to go?

he did half of grade 12 last year,tried to finish by correspondence, didn't get it done, now
he has finished half again and is starting to fade away again, so now if he wants to let it
all slide away again he will have to get further behind his goals.

He will finally get tired of his own behavior soon, and do something about it, life is going on
around him, and he isn't going with it, he is tredding water, can't do that forever.

He really is only hurting himself, no good having a heavy hand against him and start forcing him
to do it, no good trashing him and comparing him to others, that only alienates them from the
family, as it is he is aware of how the family supports him, but he also knows that everyone
wants the best for him, and expects him to move forward, but he needs to do it 'himself'.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If you don't understand the contents of one of these: http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/downloads/msds/bleach/cloroxregularbleach0809_.pdf

You end up with stupid sh*t like this....

Can you get any kind of poisoning from bleach fumes? - Yahoo! Answers

What does sodium hypochlorite mean?

If you can't read and understand an MSDS, I wouldn't hire you. No f*cking way.

he did half of grade 12 last year,tried to finish by correspondence, didn't get it done, now
he has finished half again and is starting to fade away again, so now if he wants to let it
all slide away again he will have to get further behind his goals.

He will finally get tired of his own behavior soon, and do something about it, life is going on
around him, and he isn't going with it, he is tredding water, can't do that forever.

He really is only hurting himself, no good having a heavy hand against him and start forcing him
to do it, no good trashing him and comparing him to others, that only alienates them from the
family, as it is he is aware of how the family supports him, but he also knows that everyone
wants the best for him, and expects him to move forward, but he needs to do it 'himself'.

Maybe he doesn't see the value of it? There are school districts that have had great success by PAYING students in pilot projects.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

My husband only finished 'grade 9', then went straight into the big saw mill just down the street from his
house. He was 14/15, had to work for awhile without actually being a real employee, till his 15th
birthday.
Over the years he did many many different jobs in the mill and the box factory, he was very capable
of learning all the machinery, and did.

He then started in the 'filing' room, and over the next few years learned all the levels, right up
to being a benchmen, THEN, they began all of the 'tickets', which he had to go to school to earn.

That is where he ran into a few problems, because of the math, which he had never learned, with the
exception of what he knew on the job.

He went three different times to earn 3 different levels of tickets, the last being a 'benchmen's'
ticket.

He passed all courses, (with the help and guidance of good instructors who helped him muddle his
way through the math), but he in turn knew so much practical information about all of the filing
room, he helped the class as well.

When he retired as a benchmen, he was the second highest payed worker in the sawmill, just a few
cents behind the sawyer.

One can't even start in the sawmill now without grade 12.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
One can't even start in the sawmill now without grade 12.
You're right, companies don't want to nor should they have to go the extra mile to teach someone skills that were already available to them in school.

Even safety wise those with grade 12 are less likely to be injured or cause a mechanical equipment failure.