PM defends his support of asbestos industry

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
CTV 2011 Federal Election | PM defends his support of asbestos industry

Prime Minister Stephen Harper used his stop in Asbestos, Que. Tuesday to trumpet his government's support for the much-maligned asbestos mining industry that the community is built on.

"The only party that defends the chrysotile industry is our party; the Conservative party," Harper said in French, using the term for white asbestos that industry supporters prefer.

As the Conservatives battle for every possible seat in Quebec, they are fixing their sights on the riding of Richmond-Athabaska, in Quebec's Eastern Townships, which is currently held by the Bloc Quebecois.

They're also hoping to hold on to neighbouring Megantic-L'Erable, which is home to another asbestos operation in Thetford Mines.

Harper spent Tuesday unabashedly boosting the industry, insisting asbestos can be used safely, even as his government's support has come under fierce criticism at home and abroad.

Asbestos is a known carcinogen whose use and sale is highly restricted in Canada. The mineral is exported from Canada to developing countries, however, with the support of the federal government and taxpayers.

Harper was asked whether the experience of Transport Minister Chuck Strahl had any influence on his government's support of the industry. Strahl was diagnosed with incurable mesothelioma in 2005 as a result of inhaling asbestos fibres in his younger years.

Harper did not mention Strahl's battle with cancer in his response. He said a majority Conservative government would not roll back current restrictions in this country.

"We have no plans to do that," while added that chrysotile asbestos "is permitted internationally under conditions of safe and controlled use."

"Canada is one of a number of exporters of chrysotile and there are many countries in which it is legal who are buyers," Harper said.

"This government will not put Canadian industry in a position where it is discriminated against in a market where sale is permitted."

The Conservative government's support for the industry has been widely criticized. Taxpayer dollars are used to help fund the Chrysotile Institute, an industry lobby group that promotes the use of the asbestos around the world.

In an open letter to the prime minister, the Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment said Canada is defending a morally bankrupt and economically failing industry.

"We call on you to put people's lives ahead of politics," Dr. Kapil Khatter said in the release.

"Canada's leading medical authorities have all told you that the export of asbestos is medically and morally indefensible and will lead to an epidemic of asbestos-related disease and death overseas."

The Rideau Institute also released a letter on behalf of a coalition of more than 20 environmental and union groups Tuesday, urging Harper to halt his support of the industry.

In the letter, Christian Simard, executive director of Nature Quebec, said Canada's promotion of the deadly export is inexcusable.

"Public policy should be based on science, not on politics," Simard said.

"The science is indisputable that all forms of asbestos are deadly. Not a single reputable authority supports (Prime Minister) Harper's policy that asbestos can be safely used."

Ruff said in the letter that Canada's international reputation is suffering due to Harper's refusal to acknowledge that scientific evidence.

"Canada is becoming known as an immoral asbestos pusher and as an enemy of global public health. This is not the role Canadians want to play in the world," she said.

-----------------------------------------------------

My wife's father passed away a month after we married from mesothelioma from working at a phone company where his job was to lay out phone cables through ceilings of offices that were loaded with asbestos and there's a very large class action suit amongst the families who've lost loved ones over the years from working similar jobs where they were exposed to asbestos. Back when he worked in those areas, the government of Australia knew damn well how dangerous asbestos was and yet they did nothing to ensure the safety & well being of people who worked near this crap..... thus the lawsuit.

It's no longer used here in Australia and there are strict regulations and guidelines on how one goes about detecting & removing any known asbestos in their homes or offices due to how dangerous this crap is.

I didn't think Harper could sink any lower then he has, but to even promote the continued production & trade of any kind of asbestos, even when all experts tell him there is absolutely no way to work with the stuff in a healthy manner, is beyond low.... it's drops well below disgust.

It doesn't matter if it's traded in 1st, 2nd or 3rd world nations, the stuff is friggin deadly...... and to only sell it in 3rd world nations?

Does Harper actually think 3rd World Nations have the resources and know-how to use asbestos in a way that will ensure the safety of the people in those countries working & living around that stuff? Many developed nations simply refuse to touch the stuff..... so what does that tell you about 3rd World Nations?

That they're behind the times, that they need a product that's cheap, regardless of how dangerous it is...... and that Harper is willing to take advantage of that situation in order to gain some profit from these countries at their own people's expense and a few extra votes against the Bloc in Quebec.... regardless of what all the experts tell him.

Don't forget.... Harper is always right.... he always knows best, and he always knows more then those who spend their whole careers dealing with such things every day of their lives & see it all first hand.

Harper just passes it all off, continually dismisses anything he doesn't like to hear and tells everybody to just listen to him..... He Knows All!

Now we can add another title to Harper..... "The Peddler of Death"

Am I exaggerating?

Show me where I am

Am I biased?

You're damn right I am, but I don't have to be for any of the above to be the truth and fact.

Harper finger-pointed at Layton for trying to peddle votes in Quebec by possibly opening up the Constitution some time down the road..... yet what does he call what he's saying above? At least suggesting opening up the Constitution later down the road won't directly cost the lives of thousands of people or more.

Oh I forgot.... the people in 3rd world nations are not the same as us, their value & their lives are not as important as our own. So long as Harper gains an extra seat & possibly gain some extra profit, they're expendable.

Added:

One thing I did find a bit funny was that on the CTV news link above, there were so many outraged and angry comments towards Harper over this, that CTV closed the comment section so no more comments could be made.

Doesn't surprise me though.... CTV is a Conservative supporting news source & they can't have that stuff happening.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Perhaps our true nature in the global scheme of things is starting to show. Make all the shareholders work in the mine, see how fast it closes.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Like the abortion issue, with Harper it's do as I say, not as I do. Cutting funding for planned parenting in foreign policy is based on the wants and desires of his support base. The religious right who feel that a Woman's choice shouldn't be a right in Canada nor abroad.

Anti-abortion groups shaped Tory funding policy on Planned Parenthood - thestar.com

Now if there was no chance of a non confidence vote on any bill and Harper had a majority to push through any bill it wanted, what is the likelihood of the Neocons to do so? Same with the long gun registry, and other contentious legislation that hasn't so far been allowed to pass.

We all know Asbestos fibers free floating is dangerous. That is why the stuff is being replaced at great cost. We shouldn't take the position that if it's about the money, screw everyone else. That's the position big tobacco takes and look at what we did to them.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I love his line about how we shouldn't restrict it's sale to places where it is still legal.

Love the ethics of this man.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I doubt it considering Canada could easily rid the world of **** lodes of illicate opiates all for the low low price of a Bic lighter.

sammantha

Apr 27, 2011
I watched my father die from mesothelioma and despite working in the hospital field for 25+ years, this diagnosis was truly new to me. He joined up in the 1940's to do his duty as a proud member of the RCN and served as a stoker on a corvette on the murmansk run. Later he would say that there was asbestos in the lagging in the engine room and while in his hammock, asbestos bits could be seen floating around all the time. Smoking exacerbates this deadly cancer and cheap cigarettes were made available so a lot of fellows were hooked on nicotine. It is said that it takes about 40 years for this cancer to surface.

I find it utterly incredulous and vile that harper, knowing how deadly this stuff is, would peddle it to other countries for profit. When my Dad was given the diagnosis, the first words he uttered were: "and this is because I went to fight for my country!" I watched in frustrating torment and rage, knowing that nothing could be done until he passed basically drowning inside from the excess fluid in his lungs and harper is just fine with this!!

I suppose harper's logic is, if it doesn't touch me personally then lets just gather in that death profit. Our country is seemingly being run by the big corporations that are busy poisoning our lands and waters with carte blanche from this government.

not getting my vote and this contempt for others is just one of many reasons!!!!

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
R.I.P. all who have fallen from asbestos fibres, my father-in-law included.

Johns Manville and Stephen Harper, harbingers of death!!

Newvoter

Apr 27, 2011
Canada
Yep, this seems to be in line with Harper's view on International aid and support...it also supports his view on other human beings

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
They can only do what we let them, obviously the sale to other countries is something the general public fully supports (numbers).

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Far as I know the US isn't on the export list, the goods are targeted for the poor in India, guess they should have taken the sterilization pill.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yep, for cheap tricks, people can ignore the major difference between chrysotile asbestos and crocidolite asbestos.

Then they'd have to ignore the fact that what is being made from the asbestos Canada sells, are solidified parts/materials. Not the spun fibre that was the root of the issue with crocidolite asbestos.

But hey, when you need to knock your favourite Nazi, why not through your intellect to the wind.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Why do you figure the Cancer Society would be upset about that mine expansion? Seems they ought to know a thing or two about asbestos. All these medical associations have come out against chrysotile asbestos and say that the claim that it is less harmful than other forms of asbestos is groundless. What's up with that?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why do you figure the Cancer Society would be upset about that mine expansion? Seems they ought to know a thing or two about asbestos. All these medical associations have come out against chrysotile asbestos and say that the claim that it is less harmful than other forms of asbestos is groundless. What's up with that?
We have safe work place laws in Canada. If it was the big bad boogiemonster the lobbyists, think it is. Why hasn't a labour board shut it down?

What's up with that?

I'll be back in a bit, I'm getting my brakes done....oh ya, asbestos in them too.

Can you still buy smokes at the corner store?

What do the lobbyists say about that?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If we 'relabel' and keep our mouths shut it another marketplace just opened up, should problems arise, just blame it in the radiation, ... and vice-versa should the opportunity arise.

(in part)
Associated Press= SENDAI, Japan (AP) — Inside the chunks of slate and wallboard smashed and scattered by Japan's tsunami hides a health risk that has been overshadowed by contamination from a leaking nuclear plant: the odorless and nearly invisible threat of asbestos.
Activists have found the cancer-causing, fibrous material in the air and debris collected from the devastated northeastern coast.
Levels in the air remain within Japan's safety range but are expected to rise significantly once cranes and cleanup crews begin their work in earnest, scraping and shaking loose the minuscule, white fibers from insulation and fireproofing layers.

Asbestos, Japan tsunami's other hidden danger | World news | guardian.co.uk

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure how many medical professionals it takes to bring home the message about the dangers of chrysotile asbestos. It seems like every time some doctor enforces the message 10 lobby groups pop up to shoot him down. I only have to look to my hometown to see the dangers of this mineral. Chrysotile was mined on the Baie Verte peninsula for years until Dr. Irving J. Selikoff published a report exposing the occupational health risks of mining and milling the ore. Of the 485 people he examined in 1977, 10% had asbestos related diseases. As the years passed it became clear that more and more workers would suffer the affects of inhaling the carcinogenic fibres. The cancer rate on the peninsula far exceeds the national rate. Today the Baie Verte Mining Registry is attempting to study the medical history of these miners to assess the long term affects of exposure to asbestos.

Not to mention the tailings left behind that continues to throw dust around whenever the wind picks up. The local ponds and lakes are contaminated with the stuff.

So yeah Harper, you are pushing a dangerous product the medical world condemns. What a hero. C'mon Jack, give this guy the boot.