Plush pensions: MPs can afford to retire in style

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Duceppe as an MP represented his constituents. People forget that your MP is supposed to represent the people in their riding first. They seldom do, but its up to the voters to vote wisely.

The MP pension plan is flawed, but I have no problem with MPs getting a decent pension based on years of service to their constituents.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
After serving 6 years. No age limit as far as I know.

That is f*****g criminal. I wouldn't have a problem if they were eligible for a pension after 20 years continuous service equal to 40% of their salary that they could start drawing at age 55.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"The MP pension plan is flawed, but I have no problem with MPs getting a decent pension based on years of service to their constituents."

There is absolutely NOTHING decent about a Member of Parliament - retired or especially DEFEATED - should get a pension for six years of service. And certainly not before the age 65. That is nothing but theft, and no decent former MP should take it.

But then using the words 'decent' and 'Member of Parliament' in the same sentence are natural antonyms.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Is it really so shocking that the amount of MP's pension is so generous and the minimum service time required to qualify so short?

After all, these are the same group of people who determine their own pay raises.

oldrebel

Nominee Member
Apr 18, 2011
southern ontario
The Taxpayers Coalition is working to get a bill tables that will change the system of pensions for MPs. They urge everyone to contact their MPs and fllood them with demands for change.
Those pensions collected by the MPs are obscene! Most of them are young enough when they retire from politics that they go into high paying jobs. they are not likely penalized for earning money while they collect their pensions like the rest of us.
Something has to be done. I for one resent my taxes contributing to their pork barrel pensions.