Please no proportional representation.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Proportional Representation is a good thing because we don't have to play as much of a game of strategic voting to avoid splitting.

You would have more people voting their conscience without sacrificing the riding.

Getting rid of parties eliminates the need for strategic voting. We'd all vote for the best local candidate.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
A federal vote requires some authority on the federal level.

A collection of local ridings without any overarching regime is as naive as libertarianism.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
A federal vote requires some authority on the federal level.

A collection of local ridings without any overarching regime is as naive as libertarianism.
You didn't even bother to read what I linked to, did you?

It appears you are evidence that partisanship does indeed require a closed mind and tunnel vision.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You didn't even bother to read what I linked to, did you?

It appears you are evidence that partisanship does indeed require a closed mind and tunnel vision.

Your own link states they still don't have a fundamental structure in place which was exactly my point.

Also, I trust 'lay citizens' even less than I trust most members of government.

If we have a minority government, I truly hope we start moving to PR.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So we would become governed by our bureaucrats. Now not only will they be sucking our money but ruling us too.

No, would be governed by the politicians. They would set the big picture goals. The senior bureaucrats would set some basic objectives in line with these goals. The junior bureaucrats would develop strategies in line with the objectives and the mangers would task the workers. This model works pretty good at the municipal level where taxpayers generally get the best bang for the buck.

Direct democracy would be more practical if we had online voting.

Even so, people are busy and that's why we need representatives.

Not really a fan of direct democracy. Great idea in theory but most people are too busy in their day to day lives to get into the nuts and bolts of legislation. Having a community representative is good.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Your own link states they still don't have a fundamental structure in place which was exactly my point.
I just reread it and could not see where that was stated. Either way, the Swiss have been in as direct a democracy as can be for over a century. And you think that there is no fundamental structure in Switzerland? lol

Also, I trust 'lay citizens' even less than I trust most members of government.
That actually makes sense. I can believe that you think politicians are actually honourable and saintly and the rest of us peons are devils and demons.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Yeah, I mean is it's kinda the reason we need government to begin with.

Could you imagine trying to have a government without any moderation?

It would basically be this forum.