Pharmaceutical companies solicit scientists to ghostwrite

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Apparently not even scientific journals are to be trusted not to be biased any longer. (So that leaves Sir Potty with no reliable sources for information. They'll ALL be from biased right wing nuts. lol)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/05/health/research/05ghost.html

Wyeth ghostwriters pushed hormone therapy - MarketWatch

It leaves one wondering how broadly this activity is spread.

I'm surprised that anybody would be surprised. The bottom line with pharmaceutical companies is profit - long term profit. They are not about benevolence or cures. It is to their benefit to keep a population that is constantly sick but alive as long as possible to buy their product. That is the nature of business. Public Relations is the business of creating a need for a product whether it is useful or not, safe or not. Ain't capitalism grand?!!!!!!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think you may be the only one that's surprised. I quit being ignorant about pharmaceutical companies a long time ago.
A long time ago I read somewhere that in order to to be really powerful you must control people's movement, control what they eat, or control how they think (that's the tough one but religions and the governments occasionally still try). Oil companies do a good job of controlling people's movement and the pharmaceutical companies are doing a pretty good job of controlling what people eat. Governments are only a speed bump now & then.