Petition asking Governor General to fire Stephen Harper may end up in House of Common

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Only 37% of voters voted for Harpo. That is not a majority by any stretch of the imagination. The whole electoral system needs reforming. You two would do fine in 1984, which is the direction Harpo is leading this country.
1984, last time a PM's party got over 50%.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Only 37% of voters voted for Harpo. That is not a majority by any stretch of the imagination. The whole electoral system needs reforming. You two would do fine in 1984, which is the direction Harpo is leading this country.

You flunk math in school? 37% is more than any other party got, and more importantly they got most of the seats which makes it a majority.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Before people get too riled up and start finger wagging the NDP over this, or anybody for that matter:

“I do know that the Governor General can remove the prime minister, and that’s a very well-known fact because it’s there in the Constitution,” Stewart told the Straight in a phone interview. “But that’s about the extent of it at this point.”

The first-term MP has spoke with Felton by phone but has neither read the text of the online petition nor met Felton in person.

“I said that if it meets the formatting requirements, I would present the paper petition,” Stewart said of his phone conversation with Felton.

^ That's all there is to it and nothing more really needs to be said.... but for sh*ts and giggles.....

He's merely doing his job and said he neither supports or opposes the petition. By the book, if a petition is made and meets the requirements, he would present it.... if it doesn't, then the petition makers can get bent.

If he or any other MP flat out opposed the petition regardless if it met the requirements, then they wouldn't be doing their democratic duty.

Even still, even if the petition passed, it's still up to the Gov.Gen to make the final decision.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't expect this to go very far and is pretty much just a waste of time and 15 seconds of fame.

Carry on, nothing to see here.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So a couple of sociopaths think that they should be able to override the wishes of the majority of the electorate. Maybe we should start a petition demanding that all freeloaders be evicted from the country since they clearly do not represent our wishes.

I was a big supporter of Preston Manning who believed voters should be allowed to remove politicians from office. Do you believe Manning was a sociopath as well?

Liberals don't create anything.

Seems to me they created a surplus that the Conservatives soon did away with.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
A friend of mine summed it up the other day: I woke up with an erection this morning and the first thing that went through my mind was, "What the hell is that?" The Harpo government is illegal, a judge in the robocall scandal has declared. He has destroyed Canada, just like he promised: When I am through with Canada, you won't recognize it. Harpo is a narcissistic psychopath. Time to fire the bum.

WHAT JUDGE ruled "The Harpo government is illegal"????????????

Actually, the courts declared ALL the elections in EVERY riding valid, and dismissed the idiotic suit to overturn election results after it was determined that the entire robocalls scandal MIGHT have effected one vote out of every 11,000.

The people will have their chance to "fire" Harper in 12 months.

Until then, I suggest you up your medication.

I was a big supporter of Preston Manning who believed voters should be allowed to remove politicians from office. Do you believe Manning was a sociopath as well?

"Preston Manning who believed voters should be allowed to remove politicians from office."

The G-G is NOT "voters"

I

Seems to me they created a surplus that the Conservatives soon did away with.

.....at the insistence of, and with the approval of the Liberal Party, and under threat of overturning the democratic will of the people, and putting a coalition including the Bloc in power.

Bloody close to treason on the part of the Liberals, if you ask me.

The Liberals wear
the deficit as well as the Conservatives.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Actually, the Conservatives won with 39.6% of the vote in 2011.

In 2000, Chretien won a majority with 38.4%.
In 1997, Chretien won a majority with 41.2%.
In 1993, Chretien won a majority with 41.2%
In 1988, Mulroney won a majority with 43.0%

In fact, since World War Two, there have been TWO majority gov'ts that won a true majority........

In 1958, Diefenbaker won a majority with 53.6%.
In 1984, Mulroney won a majority with 50.03%

That's it.

I understand the need for reform, but to pretend Harper's election is somehow illegitimate is simply ridiculous. First Past the Post WORKS, and has left us with stable gov't for 150 years.

FPTP is fully legitimate until we decide to change it.

Don't hold your breath.

Of course he isn't. The people signing the petition are the voters. I'm not surprised you completely missed my point though.

In 2011, there were 24,257,592 names on the list of eligible electors. Call me when your petition has 12,128,797 names.

Until then you don't have a point for me to miss.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The grapes are mad.

Might this unruly group be the fabled Grapes of Wrath I have heard so much about over the years?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Harper is a narcissistic little man no doubt and he has done a lot of damage to
Canada that will take a long time to repair with that I agree. Where I don't agree
is wasting Parliaments time with nonsense when an election is looming that
can do the same thing. The man has to go but the ballet is the democratic way
to do that

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Before all that I would petition against negative ads during campaigns and no party commercials or publicities until an election is called.
This has way more chance of flying then petitioning out of office, but one has to try.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Harper is a narcissistic little man no doubt and he has done a lot of damage to
Canada that will take a long time to repair with that I agree. Where I don't agree
is wasting Parliaments time with nonsense when an election is looming that
can do the same thing. The man has to go but the ballet is the democratic way
to do that
Please list all the damage Harper has one.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
1. He hurt Cliffy's feelings.

Everybody hurts Cliff's feelings.

Reading some of the responses and hearing reaction from some friends of mine, I do get a kick out of the double standard. When the Reform/Conservatives talked about recall, those on the right generally supported them and those on the left generally criticized them. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's amazing how peoples attitudes change.