Passions rev up in debate over loud motorcycles

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That coming from a guy who flew jets....

Did you know that at Mach .8 it is very quiet in an F-86? I will put up with loud bikes
as soon as Harleys strap on six 50 caliber machine guns and are able to reach 50,000 feet.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Did you know that at Mach .8 it is very quiet in an F-86? I will put up with loud bikes
as soon as Harleys strap on six 50 caliber machine guns and are able to reach 50,000 feet.
At Mach .8 it is probably very loud outside that jet ... especially in the vicinity of its unmuffled tailpipe - but then you're not the fellow chiming that you need the noise to "be seen".

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
At Mach .8 it is probably very loud outside that jet ... especially in the vicinity of its unmuffled tailpipe - but then you're not the fellow chiming that you need the noise to "be seen".

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Much quieter on Stoney Plain Road now. Thank you city council for cracking down on noise pollution. Now I can sit in my living room in relative peace.
I've always wanted to crank my guitar amp up to 11 but out of respect for my neighbors I chose not to do so. If I did the noise police would be on my tail tout suite. Bike riders should show the same repect.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
Im 6ft 6in tall, and weigh 18 stone, I was riding a large white Harley with light on in broad daylight and female pulls across in front of me, I slamed into the rear wheel of the car (fortunately) landed 30 odd feet away on the grass verge, wrote the bike off, smashed my foot(thank god for steel cap boots) and she told the cops she didnt see me.......we were on a country road and other than her, I was the only other vehicle on the road.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'd just re-entered Hwy 400 southbound at Canal Road - the second snowplow in an echelon of four - and formed up on the lead plow when the car hit me from behind hard enough to drive 28 tons of truck forward. The driver claimed he didn't see the plows.

Some folk shouldn't even be allowed to look at a steering wheel....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd just re-entered Hwy 400 southbound at Canal Road - the second snowplow in an echelon of four - and formed up on the lead plow when the car hit me from behind hard enough to drive 28 tons of truck forward. The driver claimed he didn't see the plows.

Some folk shouldn't even be allowed to look at a steering wheel....

My mom nearly drove into a train crossing the highway once. Didn't see it. If Dad hadn't been awake they'd be dead because her brain just did not register it, and she's one of the most cautious drivers I know.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not a cut. Not a scratch....but later that night I discovered that I was black & blue from
the back of my knees to my shoulders. Still about 2hrs from home, I ended up hitting
an torrential spring thunderstorm. Cold...wet...dirty...that turned into a long day.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I've been waiting for this thread all my life! I am emphatically against loud motorcycles!!!
You know what they are trying to say with their loud pipes? They're letting the world know "Hey everyone! I'm a real loud, obnoxious arsehole, and I want everyone to KNOW that I'm a real loud, obnoxious arsehole!"

Give them all tickets, impound their bikes and when it gets through their thick skulls let them ride quiet two wheeled vehicles.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've been waiting for this thread all my life! I am emphatically against loud motorcycles!!!
You know what they are trying to say with their loud pipes? They're letting the world know "Hey everyone! I'm a real loud, obnoxious arsehole, and I want everyone to KNOW that I'm a real loud, obnoxious arsehole!"

/QUOTE]

Precisely (and what are you going to do about it?)

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
the arguement that bikes need the noise to be safe from others is very weak, and just an attempt to keep the noise, to make their air headed 'statement of power' on a bike.

eg. I mentioned this before, I was standing not far from the entrance to c. tire, and a biker was sitting on his bike outside of the entrance, revving it very loudly, it was annoying, and I glanced his way, and he saw my glance, he then put it in gear, came my way, and passed me with the noise as loud as he could possibly get it, 'for my benefit'. He was an adult, at least physically. What does that tell us.
If he had no way of projecting that noise in any direction he chose, would he even own a bike at all, as that little display seemed to 'make his day', don't think his name was Clint.

My reaction to 'what' he did was nothing other than dealing with the noise crashing around inside my head, because he was long gone.

I think that was our neighbour. :roll: He ignores the rule in our neighbourhood residential park that says all motorbikes must either be mufflered to a something or other decibel rate (I assume that means within the range of a normal car or something), otherwise they must be "walked" to a designated point down the road from our neighbourhood where there are no houses before being started up.

He leaves for work between 4:30 & 5:30 a.m., starts up his large (dunno if its a Harley or not, looks like one) hog after wheeling it out onto the street, lots of thunderous rev's involved apparently, leaves it growling away while he goes back in for whatever reasons for half an hour or so & to dress the part: military boots, leather jeans & jacket, "wife beater" shirt so his tattoos show I assume, and 'cos as you know helmets are mandatory here, one of those German helmet type helmets. Before he got the bike, he had a restored fifties half-ton truck equipped with what sounded to me like Swamp XL twin exhausts - same pre-dawn routine for that!

We'd been, I'm ashamed to say, grimly putting up with it - when you get to be a wrinkly/senior disabled couple you tend to back off from some things that could be hazardous to your health. And while he is menacing enough in a cowardly bully kind of way, the wifey is obviously a champ in the WWF with a mouth & vocabulary that causes windows to crack a block away! 8O We feel very sorry for the very quiet, timid seniors that live next-door to them - we live across the street from the dynamic duo.

Anyway, being bird watchers we take a lot of video of the super birds around here. We had set up the cam-corder in the bay window of our small off-kitchen dining area as we wanted to get some video of the local, very cute, quail family - Mum, Dad & five little bundles of fluff all in a neat, bustling row - that I'd spotted crossing the road in front of our house every day like clockwork during the pre-dawn & pre-dusk hours. This meant aiming the cam directly at the road & without thinking about it at the time at where the Easy Rider wanna-be invariably did his wake up the neighbourhood routine.

Yup! That afternoon he was at our door, damn near kicking it in demanding to speak to my "the pervert" husband. I told him my husband was not well & to back off and calm down. Nothing doing. He stormed in to the living room and, fists waving about, carried on about us video taping him and his wife, that his wife was "terrified" because my husband, the "perv", was watching her through binoculars as well! Ok, we both watch birds through binoc's, but her - Sheesh! Some bird! :withstupid:

I told him to look at what we were taping & managed to get him to stomp to where the cam corder was still sitting. Well, surprise! What it showed was a cloud of fluffy feathers being left in the air as a terrified quail family took off as the doofus mounted his 'hog', in all his finery, revved it up full volume for a few minutes (yup, a window was open & the cam picks up sound very well) did a couple of his usual loops on the road before roaring off. I must admit to getting the giggles at that point, despite saying, "Oh my! Didn't know that was on there." I honestly didn't, but what better proof to take to the council, huh? He was 'gob smacked', not for long unfortunately - he stomped out the door after more fist waving yelling threats about if we thought it was noisy now, it was going to get a whole lot noisier, etc.... I guess once the two put their heads together & thus had a complete, if small, brain between them, they realized the problems that video could cause them, as while it's still too damn noisy, he now only revs & idles for five or ten minutes and doesn't tool around the whole neighbourhood revving before he leaves or when he returns.

Everyone should be equipped with video cams maybe?

So.... In favour of by-laws re quietening them down? Definitely. Safety: I like the air-horn idea although the ship's horn better, not quite so "hide under the dashboard" startling maybe; and larger versions of those flashing LED type lights cyclists use too? Oh yes, "wifey", shortly after this happened, harrassed my husband with her car, yelled obscenities & threats at him whilst doing so, while he was out riding his etrike enjoying the peaceful beach road! He wouldn't phone the mounties - why are men soooo stubborn? ;-)

Incidentally:
Ron in Regina said in part: The E-Bikes (small wheels & governed when sold to 32km/h max) with silent electric motors (the only real sound are the tires on the pavement) passing you from behind on the sidewalks without warning....are the ones that freak me out. They do have horns, but I've yet to hear one use it.
I'm surprised the 32km/h versions are permitted on sidewalks there, they're not here they have to use the road & are only permitted to use bike lanes as long as they also have pedals, which at 32 km/h they usually don't. 15 km/h ebikes (we have 15 km/h etrikes) are required to have pedals and use the bicycle lanes & may use the sidewalks if there is no bicycle lane & the roadway is unsafe for them to use, but must give pedestrians the right-of-way of course as well as the usual care and attention rules. We rarely use sidewalks with etrikes, they're too wide & bicycle lanes in abundance around here. Still, lots of LED lights, fluorescent flags, horns, hooters & bells are essential for etrike & ebike riders' safety as well as pedestrians. (Gonna get a boat-horn I think.)

I liked riding a motor bike back when, but don't remember them being noise hogs - nor too safe either, they were smaller and lighter then I think.

And re motor bike safety, this is very funny (as long as he survived it ok, you'll see...): Biertijd.com // Media » Crashproof Bike Safety System -- htttp://sknow.blogspot.com/

Yus please! Quieten them down by law!

Last edited:

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia

Give them all tickets, impound their bikes and when it gets through their thick skulls let them ride quiet two wheeled vehicles.
you forget to mention "Hey everyone! I'm a real loud, obnoxious arsehole, and I want everyone to KNOW that I'm a real loud, obnoxious arsehole!" with a really small penis :lol:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Precisely (and what are you going to do about it?)

Well, for starters, South Park had the right idea in the episode I mentioned earlier..... every time these idiots come driving by and making all sorts of noise, everybody in the community should point their fingers at them and call them "F*gs"

In the episode, the kids didn't know what the term originally meant and got in trouble, but after they explained why they used the term and what it meant to them, suddenly everybody in the town started using the term, and if I remember, the homosexual community supported the idea, since it was no longer them being branded with the hateful word. :lol:

All the while, all the bikers couldn't figure out what was going on or why nobody liked them, lol.

It was entertaining, I'd suggest everybody to watch the episode.

But just because some lame ass on a Harley is wearing leather, big boots, got tats and is all scruffy and unshaven, doesn't actually mean they're tough and could kick anybody's arse..... afterall, it's just an image..... like Emo.