Our Baby

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
aupook said:
Its a great way to get a vacation away from the wife, you park it in the woods for a couple of weeks with the wife and kids, and than you take the truck and go to town.

LOL! The "kids" are 31 and 28...... ;)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I like that new (not so new anymore) Chevy diesel better than the Cummins, Ten Packs. It's damned near as quiet as a gas engine and has tons of low-end power. I've also heard that the transmission is better. Pricey though.

I'd forgotten that you had a 4-bolt 350. Those don't wear nearly as bad because the crankshaft doesn't flop around under load. Every time I look at the big green truck sitting out back I think, "Hmmm...bad piston rod, likely a spun bearing, motor kaput." Then I think of how hard that little 305 had to work even when the truck was dead empty and think, "How did it last as long as it did?"

I'm still waiting to see if a free engine pops up. The little Dodge is nice around town, but it tops out at about 90 klicks on the highway with a load on.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I like that new (not so new anymore) Chevy diesel better than the Cummins, Ten Packs. It's damned near as quiet as a gas engine and has tons of low-end power. I've also heard that the transmission is better. Pricey though.

I'd forgotten that you had a 4-bolt 350. Those don't wear nearly as bad because the crankshaft doesn't flop around under load. Every time I look at the big green truck sitting out back I think, "Hmmm...bad piston rod, likely a spun bearing, motor kaput." Then I think of how hard that little 305 had to work even when the truck was dead empty and think, "How did it last as long as it did?"

I'm still waiting to see if a free engine pops up. The little Dodge is nice around town, but it tops out at about 90 klicks on the highway with a load on.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Karen

We have a '99 Dodge Ram Cummins, and it beats everyone on the road even while towing. I wouldn't trade it in for anything.

My brother in law has one of the new chevy diesels (2004), and I don't think it has the same muscle in it. Or maybe because it doesn't have the diesel sound it just doesn't seem the same.

Karen

Karen

We have a '99 Dodge Ram Cummins, and it beats everyone on the road even while towing. I wouldn't trade it in for anything.

My brother in law has one of the new chevy diesels (2004), and I don't think it has the same muscle in it. Or maybe because it doesn't have the diesel sound it just doesn't seem the same.

Karen

Karen

Karen

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Re: RE: Our Baby

Reverend Blair said:

Actually, last September we were staying in an RV park in Vernon, and a guy with a late model Ram was beside us. I noticed it was very quiet, so I went over to ask him if he knew what was different these days.

Turns out that some company (cummins, I think) did a lot of research into it, and of all things, they found that a redesigned FUEL PUMP cuts the majority of the "clattery" engine noise....
I dont understand that, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

I also mentioned the story to my next-door neighbour, who is retired from Finning, and he agreed with it.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

Reverend Blair said:

Actually, last September we were staying in an RV park in Vernon, and a guy with a late model Ram was beside us. I noticed it was very quiet, so I went over to ask him if he knew what was different these days.

Turns out that some company (cummins, I think) did a lot of research into it, and of all things, they found that a redesigned FUEL PUMP cuts the majority of the "clattery" engine noise....

I also mentioned the story to my next-door neighbour, who is retired from Finning, and he agreed with it.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

Reverend Blair said:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That could be, Ten Packs. Sometimes the strangest things cause problems.

The Chevy is still quieter than the Cummins though. Not that you really notice even the noisiest diesel the way they sound-proof the cabs now. It's just when you're standing outside them or have the window down.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The Chevy is still quieter than the Cummins though. Not that you really notice even the noisiest diesel the way they sound-proof the cabs now. It's just when you're standing outside them or have the window down.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Well, whatever I get, it will have to wait until I get a winning ticket or somebody dies or something..... the PRICE of diesel trucks, even used - Holy crap!

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Well, whatever I get, it will have to wait until I get a winning ticket or somebody dies or something..... the PRICE of diesel trucks, even used - Holy crap!

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

Paranoid Dot Calm

Council Member
Jul 6, 2004
Hide-Away Lane, Toronto
Hey! TenPaks

I think that would be a great place to get away from a baby.

Calm