Orwellian use of language: mom pleads guilty in cult starvation death

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Well then...if sex is for the sole purpose of procreation....then that falls directly in line with Church Doctorine. No need for sex before marriage, as that is not for procreation.... no extramarital sex, as that is not for procreation.

You need to examine how instincts work.

Sex is for procreation and there is no limit to how much sex that requires. This is why our sex drive renews itself so frequently.

Marriage is a man made confinement technology and has no relevance in regard to instinct.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yeah I did, I said it was absurd because it went against human nature. That sexuality couldn't and shouldn't be stopped.

The Church is not advocating the "stopping" of sexuality, but rather restraint and sex with ONLY your spouse.

Now how is that anymore absurd than the idea of handing out condoms to everyone and their dog and then somehow ensuring that they use those condoms for every sexual encounter that they have. Can you please lay out your plan to ensure that this happens.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You need to examine how instincts work.

Sex is for procreation and there is no limit to how much sex that requires. This is why our sex drive renews itself so frequently.

Marriage is a man made confinement technology and has no relevance in regard to instinct.

So humanity runs on instinct alone.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
You are the one that stated that it's sole purpose is procreation.

True.

I can infer then you have never heard of recreational sex? We humans do it for fun as do monkeys and dolphins. That sex is fun and recreational doesn't mean it isn't purposeful.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Studies have been made that indicate that some people are built to be monogamous and some aren't. The church is not picky when indoctrinating people with its dogma. It expects the latter mentioned people to be monogamous. And THAT goes against their nature (instincts). IOW it expects humans to be something other than what they are. And it's all because of church people's interpretation of a ambiguous, vague book based on something that probably doesn't even exist.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Studies have been made that indicate that some people are built to be monogamous and some aren't. The church is not picky when indoctrinating people with its dogma. It expects the latter mentioned people to be monogamous. And THAT goes against their nature (instincts).

But why should the church change it's doctorine because some people "choose" to do things differently. How is it the Churches fault that some "choose" to go against Church Doctorine?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I doubt it. I know of no religion that teaches people to be cruel to 1 yr olds.

Did she know she was being cruel or was she saving his soul? Was she worried he would be damned if she spared the rod?

Perhaps she did think the child would be resurrected, but she chose to act against the best interest of the child.

She might not have thought so. The inquisition thought it was better to torture someone to death that they could be saved eternally than to let them live a long life and be condemned to hell. Perhaps her thinking was along that line.

Depriving another human of a basic right and necessity is simply wrong.

I don't think she knew that.

Last edited:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Largely implies that their is some choice here...... so is there a choice?

I'm not sure.

People rationalize their choices after the fact and think that means they made a choice.

Recent studies have shown people make decisions before they are consciously aware of them. Certainly that isn't choice but they report that they did choose.

I'm inclined to think people don't have choice or at least not much.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
But why should the church change it's doctorine because some people "choose" to do things differently. How is it the Churches fault that some "choose" to go against Church Doctorine?
The church can do as it wishes. If it expects people to obey it, it should grasp reality and accept that people will be people and quit demanding unrealistic things.
I didn't say the church was at fault for some people disobeying it. I said that the church's fault is that it expects humans not to be human.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Did she know she was being cruel or was she saving his soul? Was she worried he would be damned if she spared the rod?
I have no idea. There isn't enough information in the article.

She might not have thought so. The inquisition thought it was better to torture someone to death that they could be saved eternally than to let them live a long life and be condemned to hell. Perhaps her thinking was along that line.
Perhaps.

I don't think she knew that.
Then she should get off on diminished capacity.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Because you will never find the Pope telling followers to starve a child for not saying Amen. There are bad catholics out there, but the religion itself doesn't teach followers to be bad.

A common misconception. And the one that is very hard to overcome when talking to the followers of organized religions. Their books, the ones like the Bible and the Quran, say one things, what is being done by their religious leaders in real life - is quite another, and the two do not connect. Thus the conclustion - there are bad catholics/christians/muslims out there, but the religion itself doesn't teach followers to be bad. People, when will you realize that there is a world of difference between what a religion teaches and how it actually manifests itself? By the way, wasn't it Jesus who said "By their fruit you will recognize them"?

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
In light of the historical evidence of the papal malice, of the crimes against humanity of the Roman catholic church, one would have to wonder about the sanity of those who still adhere to the church's authority. Sorry if catholics are offended by that statement but it is quite sad to me that they have been so brainwashed by the church that they cannot see the truth staring them in the face.

Brainwashed is exactly the word, Cliffy. the ritual of baptism was created by someone who knew what he was doing. It influences the people's thinking, programming them and making them overlook the most obvious things. And it works real well. And it's very hard to break free of it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
We are forcing our ideas of government and social norms on them through violence.

That's one way to look at it. However, if one is to use that definition then any law created by any government is raping and pillaging as enforcing social norms is what laws are all about. [/quote]

You have taken a simplistic view of things just to reinforce your own agenda.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
I still think it isn't religion that is at fault. It is our interpretations of religion that is faulty. Self-misguided lunacy.

The second common mistake of the followers of the organized religions. "the religion's alright, it's the people whi misinterpret it". Don't you see how ridiculous it sounds? Organized religions claim to bring the ultimate truth to the people. Here's news for you - ultimate truth doesn't need an interpretation. You don't have interpret black to know that it is black, you don't need to interpret white to know that it is white. Where there are different interpretation of one and the same truth, it means that there was no truth to begin with. Just a bunch of confusing directions to keep people in fear and shame.