Organic food no better than regular food

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Organic food is certainly better than regular food! And although you would think there isn't a taste difference, I swear that organic milk tastes different. Different in a good way...

I buy organic whenever I have the option. The cost seems minimal for what your getting - or not getting.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Organic food is certainly better than regular food! And although you would think there isn't a taste difference, I swear that organic milk tastes different. Different in good way...

I buy organic whenever I have the option. The cost seems minimal for what your getting - or not getting.
I would put up organic produce grown here on Spicer's farm against any industrial food grown anywhere. Not only can you taste the difference, you can feel it. Industrial food may break down into the same chemical components but it lacks one essential ingredient - LIFE.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I read somewhere that the benefit of organic food is in the taste but no difference in the nutrition.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I'll tell yaz what i don't care much for,putting HUMAN waste on feilds,you get everything that anybody puts doen the toilet spread on the ground,all the drugs too,think about that for a minute.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Supposed to be easier on the environment but people lie all the time so who knows. Nice to be able to jack the prices up so that people feel good. Man now that's salesmanship!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I guess I stand corrected. :smile: I was just considering the cost of chemical fertizer.

it's also supply and demand JLM, there are not as many sources for purchasing organic grown foods,
so it's the same ole same ole, among other reasons, it's not as easy to obtain.

seems ridiculous, as I mentioned earlier, all the years I was growing up until 'all of the chemical
fertilizers came in, organic food was 'all' that we had, with no added anything except compost or
manure, now it seems like a rare substance, wierd, very wierd.

If the majority would grow organically, then it would be the norm again, and with all of the
knowledge we have today, it should now be done with greater success, as to the yield.

With the beautiful fish composts, along with other organic material, organic gardening 'could' be the norm again, (but the other way is 'big' business now, no way they are going to step aside).

At least, thats the way I see it.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
There is no evidence to show that organic food is healthier or that synthetic pesticides in conventional foods are significantly harmful to one's health. The only real benefit resulting from organic food is that the farming methodologies are better for the environment. But, no, the organic craze has no scientific clout otherwise.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Watched a BBC documentary last night called "A Farm for the Future". It was all about permaculture, an organic system that once implemented requires very little upkeep and produces incredible yields with minimal use of fossil fuels or its byproducts. Something very well looking into.

There is no evidence to show that organic food is healthier or that synthetic pesticides in conventional foods are significantly harmful to one's health. The only real benefit resulting from organic food is that the farming methodologies are better for the environment. But, no, the organic craze has no scientific clout otherwise.
You been listening to scientists bought out by the petro-chemical industry?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Watched a BBC documentary last night called "A Farm for the Future". It was all about permaculture, an organic system that once implemented requires very little upkeep and produces incredible yields with minimal use of fossil fuels or its byproducts. Something very well looking into.

This is true. It's the only real reason we should actually support the development of organic food. A self-sustaining biologically diverse farm culture would help with the whole world famine deal.

You been listening to scientists bought out by the petro-chemical industry?

No I got that from the Laboratory of Nutrition and Clinical Dietetics, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University, 70 El. Venizelou Ave, Kallithea, Athens, Greece