Options for immigration to Canada?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I was in Edmonton last week. My meals included shawarma, sushi, tandoori chicken and AAA Alberta Prime Rib. I was working with four "Edmontonians". Only one was born in Alberta. The others were born in Quebec, China and Kenya. During breaks we discussed topics like the Iraq war, international travel, religion and politics. We had five different opinions on most subjects, yet we were able to share ideas without anyone getting upset.

In general Edmonton is culturally diverse and most people are tolerant. A similar experience is possible in some American cities. But I doubt those subjects could be discussed without someone getting angry.

Last edited:

Sproutie

Sep 6, 2009
Denver, CO
[FONT=&quot][/FONT] Thank you all very much for the advice! Especially Liberalman and earth_as_one. I will be looking into some of the places you two mentioned. We are planning a road trip in October and plan on crossing close to Coutts and driving to Edmonton but stopping along the way in Lethbridge and Calgary. It will be our first trip to Canada.
As far as the suggestion for Alaska, it is not just the weather that will bring us to Canada. I have never met in all my 30 years a person from Canada that I didn't get along with. I went to college with someone from Yellowknife who was just as great as can be and have known two others from Vancouver. I have also met many others along the way that have just been wonderful. I have great respect for Canada and their views on healthcare, education, and the fact that they seem to genuinely care about their people are some of the reasons we want to join you guys there.
Liberalman I am not sure where the prairies are but I will have to look into that. I have lived most of my life in larger cities but I do like the more simple way of life as well. I would actually prefer that however here in the US it is not very easy to do that considering the more rural areas are very rough areas to find work. Is it the same there?

[FONT=&quot]Clearly YukonJack has not had very good experiences with immigrants despite being one himself and I am sorry to hear about that. I am originally from Austin, TX and being so close to the Mexico border have had many experiences with immigrants both good and bad. I can only assure someone such as yourself that I am not that type of person to do the thing you have listed. First of all I think you are possibly mistaken as to where I am from since half of your post was about skin color and language spoken. I am a US citizen of European ancestry born in Austin, TX. You mention about not taking advantage of having dark skin however I am about as pale as you can get. :) When it comes to language spoken I might be able to ask where a bathroom is in Spanish but that’s about it. Much of my family can speak German but I never picked up on it. I am a hard working individual and have never had anything handed to me in my life so I am not the going there with the expectation of starting off at the top. As far as your concern about behaving myself and not asking for Christmas trees to be removed etc. I guess I fail to see where anything in my original post indicated that I would be that type of person. I am of the opinion that no matter where I am I will always treat others with the same respect I would like to be treated with. That includes being non-judgmental over others religious or political beliefs. However, that said I would hope that others beliefs would not be thrown at me either and that they would respect my choice of religion, political affiliation, etc.

With such hatred towards immigrants and statements about what the country was like before these "worthless bastards" came here, I can't help but wonder what the country was like before you got there, being as you are an immigrant yourself. You might want to consider that there may be persons of Canadian birth that are thinking the same thing about you.

Remember the same rights that allow you to have your views on your religion also allow others to have their views on religion even if it is different than yours.

[/FONT]

GrizzlyBear

Sep 6, 2009
Toronto
The free healthcare Canadians enjoy is a bonus in itself.

The health care is not free. It's government provided, which means we all pay for it.

Since you spent most of your time in western America you should come to the prairies because it’s nice and cold and the people have a simplistic view on different issues and I say it as a compliment because when one deals with the complex issues of life one gets depressed fast.

This is ignorant.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
I am curious as to how many immigrant/refugee women claiming to be abused by husbands / family to get into this country,later bring their husbands and family into this country...?

Those who play by the rules are always welcome...:canada:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What is the chance of immigrating in Canada as a professional of 51 yrs

It will probably be very difficult to find a job once you are here as we are just coming out of a depression and our number of unemployed is still in the tens of thousands.