Opposition parties vote down extending controversial anti-terror measures

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Detention on a ministerial warrant has been around long before 9/11. Our police are more than well enough equipped from a law point of view to arrest and detain just about anyone they want.

It's the job of Her Majesty's Loyal Oppostion to make the life of the PM and his cabinet as difficult as possible. Harpers lucky to still be in power. Once the public forgets about Adscam the Liberals will engineer a collapse of the current goverment and we will get back to normal of having a Liberal goverment 70% of the time.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Detention on a ministerial warrant has been around long before 9/11. Our police are more than well enough equipped from a law point of view to arrest and detain just about anyone they want.

It's the job of Her Majesty's Loyal Oppostion to make the life of the PM and his cabinet as difficult as possible. Harpers lucky to still be in power. Once the public forgets about Adscam the Liberals will engineer a collapse of the current goverment and we will get back to normal of having a Liberal goverment 70% of the time.

I know, that is the way it is in Canada. Like it or not, the Liberals are essentially are ruling party. We vote Conservative(well I never do) when we are angry with them;-)

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
Dion is doing his job as opposition leader, stop whining about it.

Harpers' been acting like he's not accountable to anyone, but the reality of being leader of a minority government is starting to set in. I hope he shows as much dignity as the man he made so much fun of when it's his turn to step down as PM.

What a DUMB statement. As a politician hoping to become Prime Minister, Dion is not acting like one....like you said he is acting more like an Opposition Leader........who will never govern if he continually acts this way (his way or else!).

Please provide some evidence that Harper acts like he is not accountable to anyone? If you can't, then please go back to writing on bathroom walls......

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I didn't say he was acting, I said he's doing his job.

evidence: no real debate on an Afghanistan mission that has seen the largest loss of Canadian lives since the Korean war. Harper is leader of a minority government, you'd think he'd try to find consensus with the other parties on such an important issue. He didn't.

He's been dictating to the press how to perform thier duties, that's not role of a leader in a democracy. We depend on good information to make choices, not the ruling party line.

The Emerson affair. I don't care how beneficial it was for Harper it effectively cancelled out the will of the voters days after the election. Not the actions of a leader that really cares about the people he's supposed to represent, or someone who takes democracy seriously.

And now spending more of his and his parties time trying to bully Dion into submission instead of actually governing.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
The fact that they exist and CAN be used is worriesome. That's like saying there is a giant maneating monster in the backyard, but don't worry, it hasn't eaten anyone yet.
There is a giant man-eating monster in the backyard. It goes by the name terrorism,and if we continue to pretend it is not there,we will soon be in it's belly and all the human right activists in the world won't be able to do a thing about it.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
He's been dictating to the press how to perform thier duties, that's not role of a leader in a democracy. We depend on good information to make choices, not the ruling party line.

What Harper was doing is taking control away from the Press Core in Ottawa and they didn't like that. He was doing that because the Press core was controlling who and what could be asked. He has had NO issue with media outside of Ottawa and answers their questions. Why should the press core control Journalists if they want to ask specific questions....and what makes their actions any better than what you suggest of Harper?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore

The job of any elected member is to make life better for the people of Canada.It is too bad that most of them forget that once the votes are counted.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
I know, that is the way it is in Canada. Like it or not, the Liberals are essentially are ruling party. We vote Conservative(well I never do) when we are angry with them;-)

I voted conservative once. When Brian promised nuke subs to patrol the north. Lying b@stard. Never again. I vote conservative in provincial elections. I like to keep the feds and province different to keep em honest. Libs in federal for their slight left of center politics and Cons in province for their fiscal conservatism.

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
I voted conservative once. When Brian promised nuke subs to patrol the north. Lying b@stard.

Well, you might not have got the subs, but the helicopters were ordered and then the Lib's cancelled the order costing the canadian taxpayer more than half of the cost with nothing to show for it. How many servicemen died after that on SeaKings????? TOO MANY!

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
What Harper was doing is taking control away from the Press Core in Ottawa and they didn't like that. He was doing that because the Press core was controlling who and what could be asked. He has had NO issue with media outside of Ottawa and answers their questions. Why should the press core control Journalists if they want to ask specific questions....and what makes their actions any better than what you suggest of Harper?

I don't care what the conservative reasoning is, the effect is to stifle debate and freedom of the press. It sends a chill across the country and people start to become afraid to speak their mind.

It makes government less accountable not more.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If we start tossing civil liberties out the window...then the "terrorists" really HAVE won.

Throwing people in jail without explaining why they are there, without trial, without disclosure...that's not something that should be accepted in Canada.

I am a Conservative Party member.......and I couldn't agree more.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
wallyj, 100% agree.

Civil liberties cannot infringe on our safety.

It is the responsibility of government to take precautions to protect me from attacks.

I feel real safe under Dion.

72 hours incarsirate without reason.. wow, what a tragedy! Oh, and it would barely ever happen unless it was needed, Canada is not the type of nation to abuse that like the USA.

Dion makes me feel real safe tonight!

Civil Liberties ALWAYS infringe on your safety.........it is a case against collective rights (safety) and individual rights, and as always, collective rights are no rights at all.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I voted conservative once. When Brian promised nuke subs to patrol the north. Lying b@stard. Never again. I vote conservative in provincial elections. I like to keep the feds and province different to keep em honest. Libs in federal for their slight left of center politics and Cons in province for their fiscal conservatism.

Yeah. I voted PC once, when Brian promised to ease up on gun control.....the lying bastard!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't care what the conservative reasoning is, the effect is to stifle debate and freedom of the press. It sends a chill across the country and people start to become afraid to speak their mind.

It makes government less accountable not more.

Absolutely. The fourth estate is a sham and only made worse when certain reprters who might ask favourable questions are allowed access. The media used to be the bridge between the government and the public, what is it now? Teachers pets who kiss ass. When was the last time you heard a politician tell a blatant mistruth and the reporter said hold on and asked a tough second question. BS

snfu73

disturber of the peace
There is a giant man-eating monster in the backyard. It goes by the name terrorism,and if we continue to pretend it is not there,we will soon be in it's belly and all the human right activists in the world won't be able to do a thing about it.
So, you are for the idea of tossing the rights of human beings out the window? You want the terrorists to win? If the terrorists are after our freedom as Bush says, wouldn't this be walking right into that? How many people could be tossed into jail, without a reason given, without a trial, without warning? And what kind of country does that sound like? Canada....no. Iraq under Saddam...yes. Afghanistan under the Taliban. Yes. So, basically, we are going to change our country to be more like the ones I just mentioned? And you think this is a good idea??

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007

Hey.. um, I assumed most Christians never dreamed of voting Liberal... b/c the Liberal party is the party of anti-religion... well it always has rubbed off that way to me.

I thought Christians voted NDP/Liberal when they were mad at the Conservatives.

I guess Conservate values don't exactly equate with religious people.

But, me as a religious person, would never have it in me to vote for the Liberal party unless the Conservatives screwed up big time.