Ontario laughs at the free market lovers -- again.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They swindled themselves with their own stupidity by not reading what they signed.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Activating your phone is a digital signature.

And considering 99% of people don't have the time or competency to read through the legaleeze, it's incumbent upon organizations to make people aware of the pertinent points. This legislation not only caps useless fees, but it also forces telecoms to be more transparent.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
When I get a huge discount on the phone I understand the condition is that I remain with the carrier for 3 years and can change phones after 2 with no pentalty (as long as I stay with same carrier). Not sure what the big deal people have against contracts or why they would assume that if they are getting a discount they won't have a contract.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
When I get a huge discount on the phone I understand the condition is that I remain with the carrier for 3 years and can change phones after 2 with no pentalty (as long as I stay with same carrier). Not sure what the big deal people have against contracts or why they would assume that if they are getting a discount they won't have a contract.

Last year, they jacked up fees, including cancellation, so I think people are pretty peeved. I have never had a problem myself, but enough people are complaining that has become a serious issue.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Last year, they jacked up fees, including cancellation, so I think people are pretty peeved. I have never had a problem myself, but enough people are complaining that has become a serious issue.

Then people should switch to WIND or other discount providers that offere services with no contract and no cancelation penaltees. Bell and Rogers are not monopolies.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Then people should switch to WIND or other discount providers that offere services with no contract and no cancelation penaltees. Bell and Rogers are not monopolies.

The problem with Wind and others is network coverage. They have to purchase towers owned by both Bell and Rogers and because they pay a heavy price to the bigger telco's, their customers get the shaft.

And the feds aren't helping any.

More benefits coming from the free market:

Consumers' wireless savings could slip away as new entrants to the cellphone market struggle to survive and risk being gobbled up by other telecom players, Moody's Investors Service cautioned Wednesday.

Those new players - Wind Mobile, Mobilicity and Public Mobile - have managed to wrest only a sliver of the market away from the established incumbents, Moody's vice-president Bill Wolfe said in the report.

Rogers Communications, Bell Canada and Telus Corp. still control a daunting 92 per cent of market share. Of the remainder, regional service providers control another 5.1 per cent and the new, wireless-only entrants have amassed a mere a 3.4 per cent.

"We think that public policy aimed at reducing consumer costs, by encouraging new carriers to offer competitive service offerings, has been successful, but we question whether new entrants ... are viable and whether their impact on the market will be sustainable," Wolfe said in his report.
Telecom startups are struggling

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well, if this is the case, then the market has pretty clearly stated they are happy with Bell and Rogers and Telus. Why does the government need to protect us from ourselves?