Ontario getting new rules for used cars

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I loved my old 68 ford pick up. Wished I'd have kept it. I remember one time my kids the ex and I were coming back home from the creek from a day of fishing and swimming and the truck started spitting and missing real bad. I just pulled over, lift the hood, removed the distributer cap and took out the points and with a piece of sand paper cleaned the corrosion off. I re installed them, set them with my gauge , put the distributer cap back on and drove on home. Ran like a top until I could get to the auto parts store for the things needed for a tune up. Which I did myself. Can't do that anymore. Gotta love progress.
Sounds terribly unsafe. The govt should step in and save you.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I loved my old 68 ford pick up. Wished I'd have kept it. I remember one time my kids the ex and I were coming back home from the creek from a day of fishing and swimming and the truck started spitting and missing real bad. I just pulled over, lift the hood, removed the distributer cap and took out the points and with a piece of sand paper cleaned the corrosion off. I re installed them, set them with my gauge , put the distributer cap back on and drove on home. Ran like a top until I could get to the auto parts store for the things needed for a tune up. Which I did myself. Can't do that anymore. Gotta love progress.

I hear you - unlike today when you lift the hood you're not even sure where to find the engine! :) :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Get yourself one of these puppies that plug into the OBD2.

It will tell you everything you need to know about how you engine is running and far far more sent by Bluetooth to your phone, tablet or laptop. With instant fuel consumption data it has changed my driving habits. I've gone from an average of 19.6mpg to 22.1mpg. By far the best $10 I've ever spent on a vehicle.

Cheap like borscht on Amazon

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Won't help the "CK Susp" light on my dash. Since I had the air ride removed and replaced with a far better system of coil overs installed.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'll have a bit of a bank roll and may rethink my career options.
Think e-bikes for the ones who won't be able to afford a vehicle with the cost of purchase and insurance and even maintenance.
The 'custom ones' would allow you to govern it to a speed where no helmet is needed to the 30kph model that does require a helmet but currently no suspension system that allows the rider to use that speed plus the 'hidden gear' that pushes it to 50kph.

A gap of .032. I own 2 69 F100s. One step side and one shortbox fleetside.

One a 240 and the other a 300
You can get an cheap adapter to get rid of the points then you get a fatter spark that runs a .045 gap. You can also fix the choke so it is electric and that let's it warm up without needing constant attention. I'll bet those old 6's would respond well to a turbo and fuel injection and a big stroker crank.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why mod an old engine when a modern EFI 4.9L drops right in and yes they are easy to turbo. Just swap out the stock ECM with an after market megasquirt.