Oil Unions: Cut Keystone Pipeline

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
QUOTE=mentalfloss;1483048]I have the same view.

Here's a good infographic on current energy use in Ontario (i think durkadurka posted already):

We might need to use nuclear power as a short term buffer, but I would hope that's not necessary either.[/QUOTE]70% non-renewable is still 70% non-renewable. Is non-renewable being used to forge the steel to make wind turbines at Algonquin Energy?

J_Hay

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Floss, thankiess for the graph, I love how the majority is Nuclear, which has the most singularily dangerous wastes, If theres anything I hate more then oil spills, it's toxic/radioactive waste repositories....

On the other hand, with the work being put into solar panels, I'm hopefull.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Solar would be great is the sun shone 24/7 but in canada in winter we get 12hrs or less in winter not including cloudy days.

J_Hay

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
True, I'm not asking for non-renewables to not be used, more that they be used responsibly considering we actually know they have a limit.

Back when coal was huge, we didnt really know the time it took for it to actually be created, so the unscrupulous use of it was slightly understandable.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's going to take time unless you want to huddle around a candle and walk everywhere for the next 30 - 50 years.

Back after lunch....

Cheers!

J_Hay

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
It's going to take time unless you want to huddle around a candle and walk everywhere for the next 30 - 50 years.

Back after lunch....

Cheers!

Cheers!

I'd be more inclined to wait patiently if the people up top actually seemed to give more then a single damn about the subject.

My honest personal opinion is, they would probably burn it all in a decade if they could line the walls of their houses with cash, too outspoken? okay..

If auto companies started easing up on churning out hunks of metal and poly's and tried actively assisting the free energy projects by those talented uni /col students, who knows, it might come faster then we think.

The one fact I'm trying to get over, is that we are basically giving the US our oil so they can refine it and sell it back to us?
I'm hearing alot about job opportunities, but the only long term ones that I can see would be the ones at the reprocessing plants o_O And the sands themselves. Nothing seems to be explaining these two aspects with enough detail to accurately answer those two questions.

It could be I dont know enough about the oil industry infrastructure to know what type of jobs may be offered by this, if so feel free to inform me ^__^

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Here is a fact few know. All the steel used in the XL pipeline is 100 % recycled and made using clean hydro.

Clean hydro? I didn't know there was such a thing.

If auto companies started easing up on churning out hunks of metal and poly's and tried actively assisting the free energy projects by those talented uni /col students, who knows, it might come faster then we think.

The auto companies are in business to make money, not to do whatever utopian thing someone dreams up this month.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Have you ever heard a an auto company say "we're working hard with oil companies to improve fuel economy and emissions"? Do you think they really are working hard to improve fuel economy and emissions?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Clean hydro? I didn't know there was such a thing.

The auto companies are in business to make money, not to do whatever utopian thing someone dreams up this month.

If they can't make the transition properly, they'll be out a ton of money as well.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
So this method uses a fair bit of water I'm assuming?

I'm inclined to state the importance of Canadas water supplies.

That's actually quite an intruiging way to get the oil o_O, and I'm surprised at the ratio.
Thanks for the link.

Ask away if you have questions regarding oilsands or pipelines as it seems you are mis informed like most are on these operations.
Sagd doesnt use clean water,they use brackish water,sometime one in 4 wells drilled is for brackish water in a big sagd field.

As a former pipeline inspector I can tell you that there are no corners cut laying pipe(bad pun) and it is tested and inspected every inch of the way before getting buried
.I'm also a former miner and yes the oilsands are a big strip mine,in fact most of the brass at cnrl used to work in the same coal strip mines I did in BC. and strip mining actually leaves a very small footprint when you consider the resources extracted and the time and jobs created.Clear cut logging is way more environmentally damaging then a strip mine will ever be and so is urban sprawl.
Reclamation is also my forte and I hold an award from the kivallik Innuit Association for reclamation of an old Arctic exploration camp and I also do a lot of reclaim for Teck mining and things are changing concerning the environment.Weve come so far the last 20 years that it's allmost unbelievable to think we dumped used oil right on the ground back then.I could go to jail for that now.