Obligatory Military service?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
LOL...

Although sjp is an extremist, he isn't in the crowed of usual suspects I was alluding too, lol

I'ld have to take sjp seriously to put him in that group. :lol: Since he's just a joke. that won't happen any time soon.

But he's not just any extremist. He's a unique kind of extremist we could label a mainstremist extremist. Or would that be an extremist mainstreamist? He's an extremist in trying to be mainstream, and so looks less extreme than anyone while being the most extreme at his efforts at being mainstream.

Sorry, just having fun. Carry on.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
But he's not just any extremist. He's a unique kind of extremist we could label a mainstremist extremist. Or would that be an extremist mainstreamist? He's an extremist in trying to be mainstream, and so looks less extreme than anyone while being the most extreme at his efforts at being mainstream.

Sorry, just having fun. Carry on.
pass that joint man , i was getting confused.

Sad to say that for some , logical thinking is accept things as right or true just because the majority does. There are better and greater ideas to be explored thinking outside of the box.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But when thinking outside of the box, you risk being blinded by light outside. Much safer to remain within the darkness of the box. Much coayer, don't you think?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
But when thinking outside of the box, you risk being blinded by light outside. Much safer to remain within the darkness of the box. Much coayer, don't you think?
Shut up and pass that joint hahahaha

petit no no

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Sorry EB. I don't smoke joints because they're not healthy... oh, sorry, I meant because they aren't mainstream enough.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I think the military is a very fine, useful and necessary occupation BUT I don't think it's the complete answer. Given all the services the military can provide the main impetus is defense which often leads to war and killing. Perhaps it would be more beneficial to establish a service that would be a more sophisticated version of the Boy Scouts to complement the military.

The military is not and never will be a complete answer for some. What is does do is give sort of a transition period from high School/College whatever into becoming a responsible adult. Better capable of learning if college is your thing, or getting and holding down a serious job. A lot of kids are not ready for advanced education right out of high school, thus service would be a nice avenue to take.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
LOL...

Although sjp is an extremist, he isn't in the crowed of usual suspects I was alluding too, lol

I'ld have to take sjp seriously to put him in that group. :lol: Since he's just a joke. that won't happen any time soon.

Ah, I see. Try posting these kinds of ideas at rabble.ca! Wow! You wanna see sparks fly?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think the military is a very fine, useful and necessary occupation BUT I don't think it's the complete answer. Given all the services the military can provide the main impetus is defense which often leads to war and killing. Perhaps it would be more beneficial to establish a service that would be a more sophisticated version of the Boy Scouts to complement the military.

Very much my line of thinking!

This I think would be an awesome idea.

we already have it..it's called cadets....sea, air, and army cadets.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
While I appreciate the value of importing external ideas, if the main thrust of this service is building our communities/nation then I don't see service outside the borders as really in the spirit of the "movement". I know Bear said the same thing, so I'm just giving my support to his argument. An exception to this could be if the gov't decided that a foreign mission/deployment (such as a humanitarian mission to a disaster zone such as the tsunami in the Asian-Pacific rim a few years ago, etc).

I guess a question I have is: is our goal to just build our sense of community or are we trying to build/enhance a sense of national identity as well? In some ways, it almost feels to me like this program is for the latter, and needs to be accompanied by more in depth study of Canadian history. Our schools teach a watered down pap that centers more on political correctness than on a recounting of events in the most factual way possible. I realize history is always somewhat subjective, depending on your point of view, but in trying to see clearly what our mistakes were, we can strive to learn from and not repeat them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Our schools teach a watered down pap that centers more on political correctness than on a recounting of events in the most factual way possible. I realize history is always somewhat subjective, depending on your point of view, but in trying to see clearly what our mistakes were, we can strive to learn from and not repeat them.

I guess that depends on who your teacher was in school, and how much your parents paticipated in your education. For me, I had a social studies teacher in senior high that very much encouraged "dialogue" amongst the students. Looking at both sides of the argument when it came to French vs English. In BC this meant that the majority of students would argue the English side of all things while I, as the lone student with French heritage, took the French side. It forced me to delve beyond the surface.

My father, on the other hand, being staunch anti-quebecois would regularily get ticked off at me for constantly arguing the French Canadian side of things and ask me why I didn't argue for the Indians since I was damn near half Indian as well as French. This caused me to look deeper into the problems of First Nations from more than just the French/English version.

You can't blame a lack of education JUST on the schools, there are a lot of factors that go into teaching our youth.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

These "Cadets" your talking about, do they spend months away from home living with people of mixed cultures? If so, it sounds like a good idea, if not it is just an extension of school and living at home.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
These "Cadets" your talking about, do they spend months away from home living with people of mixed cultures? If so, it sounds like a good idea, if not it is just an extension of school and living at home.

F*ck I wish people would read what the hell is being written and replyed to.:roll:

This is what "I" was replying to moron.

Perhaps it would be more beneficial to establish a service that would be a more sophisticated version of the Boy Scouts to complement the military.

Ya ya ya....I know....stop the personal attacks.... but come on.:roll:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
hey numb nuts, this is what you said.

Wonderfull....what's your fricken point, besides the one on top of your empty head...... typical f*cken no mind american....no comprehension capabilities what so ever.

THIS IS WHAT WAS SAID:

Perhaps it would be more beneficial to establish a service that would be a more sophisticated version of the Boy Scouts to complement the military

THIS WAS MY REPLY TO THE ABOVE STATEMENT ONLY:

and if you want to know what the goal and objectives of the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets, Army Cadets, and Air Cadets are....look it the f*ck up....that should keep YOU busy for a month or so.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Come on Guys. Play Nice. I don't want to have to wear the
Moderator Hat today except to step on SPAMMERS...

YEAH, I just report one poster on here for being "lewd crude and obnoxious"- I know a "word to the wise is sufficient", but I doubt if this guy is wise.