Obesity a disease!

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
It's definitely the bread.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a small guy in my 60s who lost 35 lbs on the gluten free/wheat free diet without exercising. But I still have a mammoth appetite and cooking is still my favorite hobby. I have not skipped a meal since early December when I started the diet. In fact, I eat three square meals a day. But I do not take a gram of wheat and that is why I have not regained so much as an ounce.

Some women here who are just dying to meet you, Gopher!

Attachments

• fat_hillary.jpg
    fat_hillary.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Jennifer-Aniston-Fat--58250.jpg
    Jennifer-Aniston-Fat--58250.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2
  • scot1.jpg
    scot1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1
  • getfat.jpg
    getfat.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 31

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I doubt if 10 extra lbs. (or even 20) ever killed anyone and is beneficial for back up should one get severely ill.
You just proved my point...you may doubt it...but you don't know anything about that person medically...thus it doesn't matter what you "think". That is an excuse to pack on weight and eat crap that you shouldn't be eating period. 10 pounds is 35,000 extra calories and ten pounds on a male is not the same as ten pounds on a female. Ten pounds is not the same on a large frame as on a small frame. Ten pounds around your middle is not the same as ten pounds around your butt. As for carrying extra weight in case you get sick...OMG...that applies once you hit your 70's but does not apply before that.

While a few extra lbs. is beneficial
Is this your doctor's advice for you personally?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You just proved my point...you may doubt it...but you don't know anything about that person medically...thus it doesn't matter what you "think". That is an excuse to pack on weight and eat crap that you shouldn't be eating period. 10 pounds is 35,000 extra calories and ten pounds on a male is not the same as ten pounds on a female. Ten pounds is not the same on a large frame as on a small frame. Ten pounds around your middle is not the same as ten pounds around your butt. As for carrying extra weight in case you get sick...OMG...that applies once you hit your 70's but does not apply before that.

/QUOTE]

Which raises a lot of additional points! I was speaking of a person in good health and a person in average weight range. Of course 20 extra lbs. on a woman whose proper weight is 90 lbs. would be ridiculous. I remember the old weight vs. height charts, where it said normal for a man 5'8" is 154 lbs. That is probably normal for a man of average bone structure who is fairly sedentary, but a muscular person with big bones is going to weigh a lot more.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Which raises a lot of additional points! I was speaking of a person in good health and a person in average weight range. Of course 20 extra lbs. on a woman whose proper weight is 90 lbs. would be ridiculous. I remember the old weight vs. height charts, where it said normal for a man 5'8" is 154 lbs. That is probably normal for a man of average bone structure who is fairly sedentary, but a muscular person with big bones is going to weigh a lot more.
right

circumstances vary

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
6'2", 185 and I'm bordering on overweight? Yeah, I don't think so.

Obesity-related health care expenses cost Americans between $147 billion to $210
billion per year. Preventing and treating obesity before it leads to more
serious diseases could help combat these costs, Nadglowski says.

Highly doubtful. It's a little known finding in health studies that they are mostly wrong--demonstrably so. They don't, for example, typically compare lifelong health costs of obese people to non-obese people, which would seem to make sense. Instead, they just add up the cost of "obesity-related" diseases. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. There are very few retrospective studies that go back and see what predictions were accurate and which weren't. And, significantly, the brutal fact is that morbidly obese people die sooner, thus reducing lifelong medical costs.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
6'2", 185 and I'm bordering on overweight? Yeah, I don't think so.

Highly doubtful. It's a little known finding in health studies that they are mostly wrong--demonstrably so. They don't, for example, typically compare lifelong health costs of obese people to non-obese people, which would seem to make sense. Instead, they just add up the cost of "obesity-related" diseases. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. There are very few retrospective studies that go back and see what predictions were accurate and which weren't. And, significantly, the brutal fact is that morbidly obese people die sooner, thus reducing lifelong medical costs.

I would guess you are bordering on underweight, I would guess 210 would be about right for a person of that height. Measurements are more important than weight. I've been on a health program at the hospital as a follow up for illness last winter. For men a 40" waist is the point where concern begins. My waist is 34".

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
According to the evening news obesity is now a disease. Not sure what to make of that one. Is it a physical or mental disease? Or is it a symptom of a disease? Any ideas?

Always has been a desease. Problem is not only are there different causes and the term is somewhat arbitrary and does not take body type into concideration.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Do you thinks it's the bread moreso than what you put on the bread? Maybe the butter, margarine, mayo, mustard contributes just as much to the problem.

You cut out on the bread and pasta and the weight evaporates fast!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
yes even when you don't cut back equally on the calories which is totally against how it is supposed to work 8O

Well I suppose I wasn't thinking about that. For me, when I do cut the bread out of the diet I usually have a goal. Like I don't buy a large Italian Sub and dump the contents onto a plate, chuck the sub roll and get a fork. I typically have a diet in mind

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well I suppose I wasn't thinking about that. For me, when I do cut the bread out of the diet I usually have a goal. Like I don't buy a large Italian Sub and dump the contents onto a plate, chuck the sub roll and get a fork. I typically have a diet in mind
yeah that makes sense...I have never gone on a diet so I don't know...when bread disagrees with me and I cut it out totally I always lose a bit even though calorie wise I stay the same...I don't think bread is really all that good for us

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So all calories aren't equal?
they say they are..calories in, calories out...however the theory by some nutritionists is that gluten has some kind of chemical reaction in the body...I don't know if it is true or not... golpher seems to think so as he cut gluten out and lost a ton of weight...I have heard the same from others who went gluten free...I am fine with my muffins even when bread disagrees with me

I don't know...I just plug away and experiment with what works best for my body from a health perspective

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yeah that makes sense...I have never gone on a diet so I don't know...when bread disagrees with me and I cut it out totally I always lose a bit even though calorie wise I stay the same...I don't think bread is really all that good for us

It all depends on the bread. On the labelling check for amount of fibre. Should probably be at least 4 g per serving.

they say they are..calories in, calories out...however the theory by some nutritionists is that gluten has some kind of chemical reaction in the body...I don't know if it is true or not... golpher seems to think so as he cut gluten out and lost a ton of weight...I have heard the same from others who went gluten free...I am fine with my muffins even when bread disagrees with me

I don't know...I just plug away and experiment with what works best for my body from a health perspective

It could be one of these "mind over matter" things, but that doesn't matter, as long as it works, who can argue with it?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It all depends on the bread. On the labelling check for amount of fibre. Should probably be at least 4 g per serving.
yeah the problem is though, it is the whole grain bread that makes me ill... don't know why...has always been that way...when I am stressed I can only eat plain old light white bread as the other makes me feel super nauseated...and that's bizarre because my home made high fiber muffins are always fine...there's something in high fiber bread that make me ill... :(

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yeah the problem is though, it is the whole grain bread that makes me ill... don't know why...has always been that way...when I am stressed I can only eat plain old light white bread as the other makes me feel super nauseated...and that's bizarre because my home made high fiber muffins are always fine...there's something in high fiber bread that make me ill... :(

That's a bummer. You may as well heave the white bread too..................just empty calories.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's a bummer. You may as well heave the white bread too..................just empty calories.
yes, aaaaalthough... here ya go hey with a new finding... sour dough bread will level your blood sugar for longer than high fiber... frig no wonder nutrition is a daily on going learning project...:roll: *sigh*

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I personally haven't met a "gluten free" person that was anything but thin.

That kind of raises another question (I could be out to lunch, excuse the pun, on this one) if a person can't process gluten it makes me wonder if there is something else they can't process.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That kind of raises another question (I could be out to lunch, excuse the pun, on this one) if a person can't process gluten it makes me wonder if there is something else they can't process.
well that could be because it contains so many chemicals it would be difficult to narrow it down...I know someone who was sick for years... just a bit here, a bit there. They had done test after test after test...nothing, they were told it was "all in their head" and to basically 'get over it'. They landed with a doctor who upon doing his first examination with her, sniffed at her head and asked if she used hair spray... she did. He identified the chemical culprit and she was fine after eliminating it. It's hard to know because basically we are just a bag of chemicals and so is our food, and the creams we use, and the odours we smell. And no two bodies react the same way.