Obama reforms USA's nuclear weapons policy

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
I think you are having a tough time distinguishing a nuclear bomb from a nuclear reaction.

A nuclear warhead is built different and when the fission starts it is, let's say, less controlled. There is a dramatic split of atoms and BANG... you have a nuclear explosion.

If a nuclear reactor core is not cooled properly and allowed to heat it begins to melt everything around it and you have a nuclear disaster on your hands...not a simple battery acid leak.

Have you ever heard of Chernobyl?

Chernobyl was a city in the Soviet Union and also was powered by a nuclear reactor. The nuclear reactor had a total meltdown and it killed 56 people outright and wrecked the environment. A city of 336,000 people had to be evacuated and remains abandoned to this very day. A modern ghost town. 800,000 Soviets were exposed to radiation and there have been about 4000 deaths attributed to the meltdown.

Thats some battery leak!

Yes! I remember the warnings that went accross Canada about Chernobyl and the wind back sometime around 1980.

But, you say "there is a dramatic split of atoms" that is excatly how an A-bomb works. Now I know nuclear warheads are really atomic warheads.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes! I remember the warnings that went accross Canada about Chernobyl and the wind back sometime around 1980.

But, you say "there is a dramatic split of atoms" that is excatly how an A-bomb works. Now I know nuclear warheads are really atomic warheads.

I am not a nuclear physicist...heck I don't think I can even spell it. But I know controlled fission such as what takes place in a reactor and a fission that happens in a nuclear warhead are two different animals.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
I am not a nuclear physicist...heck I don't think I can even spell it. But I know controlled fission such as what takes place in a reactor and a fission that happens in a nuclear warhead are two different animals.

I agree. I guess were just going to have to order one off the russian black market and disect one to find out what's really going on...like with most technological secrets. ;-)

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
What did Hoover say?

"I am convinced that if you, as President, will make a shortwave broadcast to the people of Japan - tell them they can have their Emperor if they surrender, that it will not mean unconditional surrender except for the militarists - you'll get a peace in Japan - you'll have both wars over."

--Herbert Hoover to Pres. Truman on May 28, 1945, according to Richard Norton Smith, "An Uncommon Man: The Triumph of Herbert Hoover".

"I told MacArthur of my memorandum of mid-May 1945 to Truman, that peace could be had with Japan by which our major objectives would be accomplished. MacArthur said that was correct and that we would have avoided all of the losses, the Atomic bomb, and the entry of Russia into Manchuria."

--Hoover talking about a May 1946 meeting with Gen. MacArthur, according to Gar Alperovitz, "The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb".

Hoover and MacArthur, two very important people who were all too familar that the US was at war, thinking Japan would have surrendered without any atom bombs. And they happen to be on the right side of this issue, by the way.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"I am convinced that if you, as President, will make a shortwave broadcast to the people of Japan - tell them they can have their Emperor if they surrender, that it will not mean unconditional surrender except for the militarists - you'll get a peace in Japan - you'll have both wars over."

--Herbert Hoover to Pres. Truman on May 28, 1945, according to Richard Norton Smith, "An Uncommon Man: The Triumph of Herbert Hoover".

"I told MacArthur of my memorandum of mid-May 1945 to Truman, that peace could be had with Japan by which our major objectives would be accomplished. MacArthur said that was correct and that we would have avoided all of the losses, the Atomic bomb, and the entry of Russia into Manchuria."

--Hoover talking about a May 1946 meeting with Gen. MacArthur, according to Gar Alperovitz, "The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb".

Hoover and MacArthur, two very important people who were all too familar that the US was at war, thinking Japan would have surrendered without any atom bombs. And they happen to be on the right side of this issue, by the way.

Well like the man said... it would not have been an Unconditional Surrender and the Japanese could claim a victory of some sorts. That they did not lose the war and a simple peace treaty was signed.

They simply could have surrendered Unconditionally before the first bomb was dropped but they chose not to. It took two bombs and the Soviet entry to realize that they weren't going to get their way.

Japan's own fault.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California

According to a study published last October, the United States keeps roughly 1,000 nuclear warheads on alert atop land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles and submarine launched ballistic missiles. This includes the warheads on all 450 Minuteman III ICBMs and those on perhaps four Trident submarines at sea. The study said, "Although there is nothing automatic about the process, the U.S. president could launch these missiles promptly after receiving warning of an impending attack." The launch time could be as short as four minutes for the land-based missiles and 12 minutes for the submarine-based. Russia keeps approximately 1,200 warheads on alert, nearly all on land-based missiles. France and Britain together keep about 112 warheads on alert, the study said. All U.S. and Russian strategic bombers are off alert.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Sorry bud, but war does not discriminate. shame, but there are no rules to that game..They can be used against anyone.

Can is not will. In spite of dozens of excuses to use nuclear arms against a variety of enemies no nuclear wepon has been used since 1945 in spite of the fact that many in the US have advocated their use on several occasions.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Obama is the best president The U.S has had in years ..Who is the alternative?...I am tired of all the right wing B.S. talk , from the very people who ran U.S. into the ground over and over again.. The truth will set you free, war mongers / gun totin red necks..:icon_smile: ...

What have the republicans ever done for the U.S..? Besides perhaps Regan ..

Defense.gov - Nuclear Posture Review -

Summit vows to secure nuclear supply in four years - CTV News

Prime Minister of Canada: PM announces a nuclear cooperation project with the United States to further secure inventories of spent highly enriched uranium

Peace or Pieces?

Peace...

.. There are problem makers and problems solvers...Some like to pick and pull everything apart .Real leaders find solutions and take and make action .Take the pieces , pull it , put it back together..IN 1 Greater Peace..Without using War / Fear or Hate as an end..

Who is the alternative ? ..What is their platform ?.. What will they do for their country?...

Obama is a great president .

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Obama is a consumable he's exactly like the eleven still in the box, he can be coloured and shaped to fit any situation, he's a construct for you to grovel before in rapt adoration. He's a hollow man able to be filled with whatever vile substance those who would be owners of the planet wish spewed upon the marks. You're worshiping them through him the lowest form of human you can ever contemplate. Nobodies giving up any advantage nuclear or otherwise.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Obama is a consumable he's exactly like the eleven still in the box, he can be coloured and shaped to fit any situation, he's a construct for you to grovel before in rapt adoration. He's a hollow man able to be filled with whatever vile substance those who would be owners of the planet wish spewed upon the marks. You're worshiping them through him the lowest form of human you can ever contemplate. Nobodies giving up any advantage nuclear or otherwise.

Who is your alternative? What is your solution ? ..Who would you choose to be the next president Dark Beaver ?..I would choose , Bill Gates ... Richard Branson..A few others ...But Obama fits the role well...

Using your analogy .. Then He has been formed into a man of peace.. A good man/leader/president ...With a good family ..He was elected by " The People"(mostly, with backing interests, of course ..like all ).. ..to represent His/Their Democratic , 1st world , country ...

I agree there is alot of b.s ..(Mostly , B.S.) and theatre in Politics/politicians ..But Obama has been the truest/ most honest /trusted form of a good man/President I have seen in years.. Perhaps ever...

sombraa110

Electoral Member
Feb 1, 2010
yeah that's is totally true, this goes to everyone that wants to FIGHT and us nuclear weaponss!

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
Who is your alternative? What is your solution ? ..Who would you choose to be the next president Dark Beaver ?..I would choose , Bill Gates ... Richard Branson..A few others ...But Obama fits the role well...

Using your analogy .. Then He has been formed into a man of peace.. A good man/leader/president ...With a good family ..He was elected by " The People"(mostly, with backing interests, of course ..like all ).. ..to represent His/Their Democratic , 1st world , country ...

I agree there is alot of b.s ..(Mostly , B.S.) and theatre in Politics/politicians ..But Obama has been the truest/ most honest /trusted form of a good man/President I have seen in years.. Perhaps ever...

I agree, I think of Obama as the peacefull President. Unlike the Bush dynasty who were Gun Ho on war Obama is doing his best to keep it to a minimum of what the country is making him do.