Obama doubles number of troops authorized for Iraq

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

President Obama authorized Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel on Friday to send up to 1,500 additional U.S. troops to Iraq, roughly doubling the force the United States has built up since June to fight the Islamic State militants who control much of Iraq and Syria.

The announcement of a major increase in the U.S. force in Iraq deepens U.S. involvement in a messy regional conflict that officials are warning may last for years. The White House said it would request $5.6 billion for the military campaign against the Islamic State, including $1.6 billion to train and equip Iraqi troops.

The additional American troops will expand a military advisory mission that began this summer and will establish a new effort to train Iraqi forces, Rear Adm. John F. Kirby, the Pentagon’s press secretary, said in a statement.

Kirby said U.S. Central Command will establish training sites for Iraqi forces in several locations in the northern, western and southern parts of the country. American troops had previously been confined to Baghdad and Irbil in the north.

Iraqi security forces have been struggling to retake territory controlled by the Islamic State, which has drawn its strength from the conflict in neighboring Syria.

Obama doubles number of troops authorized for Iraq - The Washington Post

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Impossible. We are being reminded that Obama stopped all the wars by the Democrats now and how Obama saved us all from the Greatest Depression ever.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Impossible. We are being reminded that Obama stopped all the wars by the Democrats now and how Obama saved us all from the Greatest Depression ever.

I'm thinking Obama may turn out to be the best Republican ever.. :lol:

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
From the way they've acted so far, the Iraqis were trained by France.8O

They did scatter didn't they.

I think it is more a Shi-te thang. Sunnis have been slapping them around in Iraq for decades at least.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Soon there will be a day when someone will authorize more troops be send to the USA. Round it goes, all you have to do is sit and wait. What this continent lacks is war. You can bet that this is a development strategy long studied and painfully overdue.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
The claim of ending wars isn't reserved just for Obimbo. Carter and Clinton were both making similar noises years ago.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009

no ways... wasn't the talking point all about "no American boots-on-the-ground"? Of course, who believed the Iraqis themselves, the Kurds... aided by coalition bomb-trucks, would suffice? It shouldn't be too long before the call goes out to other coalition members to supply... more boots. Gee, I wonder what Harper will do when he gets that call.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Obama and the new guys will get along just fine, the country will be saved, now all we need to verify this is the definition of "the country".

While keeping promises is a virtue (sometimes) I suppose, I think the ability to adjust to suit changing situations is a bigger one!:)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
no ways... wasn't the talking point all about "no American boots-on-the-ground"?

Yes, but anybody who thinks there would be no U.S. soldiers in Iraq doesn't understand the meaning of the term "boots on the ground."

I figure that includes you.

Oh, all right, I'll clue you in. "Boots on the ground," propagandists' and true believers' ignorance notwithstanding, means combat troops.