Northern Gateway hopes dashed as Canada moves to ban oil tankers off B.C. coast

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all no to Canada and the USA becoming one country or any part of Canada
drifting into the American orbit.
I for one am not a so called tree hugger or even a rabid environmentalist but I am
pleased to have a moratorium on oil tankers in BC waters on the North Coast.
Enbridge is not a company that should be trusted to look after an aging outhouse
let alone an pipeline or shipping facility. Tankers in the waters in question is a
serious safety issue. Not impossible to solve but right now a serious problem.
Again we need to refine and control the destiny of our resources and maximize
profits for us not the other players of the world.
We have food, water, minerals and oil. Yes we need to trade for food but we have
what others want so make pay our price not some watered down international
deal that favors others and transnational corporations.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
First of all no to Canada and the USA becoming one country or any part of Canada
drifting into the American orbit.

We have food, water, minerals and oil. Yes we need to trade for food but we have
what others want so make pay our price not some watered down international
deal that favors others and transnational corporations.

Lots of countries have what we have.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is no-one opposed to LNG tankers and pipelines on the north coast? How about the potash bulkers?

If you want an eco disaster of epic proportion, sink a potash bulker.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Probably going to surprise a few folks coming from me but, it needs done. First of all, Kitimat. I don't think you could find a worse place on the west coast to use as an oil shipping terminus. We're talking large tankers navigating a narrow fjord.
Secondly, tankers would have to traverse the Hecate Strait. Seasoned sailors consider the strait to be one of THE most dangerous stretches of water on the planet. One gentleman whose name escapes me atm is an experienced ship captain as well as having worked in the oil industry. His take on the whole thing is, it's a really terrible idea. If someone of his experience and background thinks it's a terrible idea, it's probably a terrible idea.

If the friggin' Chinese want the oil so bad, they can sail to the Port of Vancouver and load up there like everyone else.

Is no-one opposed to LNG tankers and pipelines on the north coast? How about the potash bulkers?

If you want an eco disaster of epic proportion, sink a potash bulker.
So because there's already a risk to the waters in the area, we should just increase the risk?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Probably going to surprise a few folks coming from me but, it needs done. First of all, Kitimat. I don't think you could find a worse place on the west coast to use as an oil shipping terminus. We're talking large tankers navigating a narrow fjord.
Secondly, tankers would have to traverse the Hecate Strait. Seasoned sailors consider the strait to be one of THE most dangerous stretches of water on the planet. One gentleman whose name escapes me atm is an experienced ship captain as well as having worked in the oil industry. His take on the whole thing is, it's a really terrible idea. If someone of his experience and background thinks it's a terrible idea, it's probably a terrible idea.

If the friggin' Chinese want the oil so bad, they can sail to the Port of Vancouver and load up there like everyone else.

So because there's already a risk to the waters in the area, we should just increase the risk?
Unless of course they head right out Queen Charlotte Straight right into the heart of the good old Pacific Ocean.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Vancouver to China just increases the risk by close to 1000 miles! :) and you still have Juan de Fuca Strait to navigate. Lots of ship wrecks there probably more than Hecate Strait.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
.... First of all, Kitimat. I don't think you could find a worse place on the west coast to use as an oil shipping terminus. We're talking large tankers navigating a narrow fjord.
Yes out Whale Channel & past Barnard Harbour the only place I have seen five (5) different types of Cetacea in one day and infamous for heavy southerlies-I damned near had the biscuit there more than once of course I was in a 17' skiff not a tanker.
Secondly, tankers would have to traverse the Hecate Strait. Seasoned sailors consider the strait to be one of THE most dangerous stretches of water on the planet.
Playing Devil's Advocate for a minute here it's not always that bad I have crossed when it was flat as a Japanese woman's asss-twice in fact.
Using northern ports means saving money they are a day closer to Asia and if you do the numbers that means a lot of savings over the years.

It's too bad all those opportunities for self enrichment are going to escape the infamous grasp of local native chieftains I suppose they'll have to find another source to milk-Oh Wait there's a new federal goodie bag!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Lots of countries have what we have you are correct however Canada is placed
in geographic center of trade and we also have more of it than most. It should
be used to our advantage and betterment not to be share like its the worlds god
given right to have.
Enbridge as a company is a disgrace and should not be trusted.
All is possibly a mute point however. Several Native groups don't want it, many
citizens are not crazy about it and shipping is going to be problem if tankers are
off limits.
It will be a long time before this stuff is sent Asia if ever.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I can't help but wonder how Justine is gonna convince all of that tanker traffic that is cruising Canada's west coast with product from Mexico and California.

... Maybe he'll wow 'em with his curly locks and promise to send them warm mittens and winter jackets

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So let get this right. Liberal are going to pull the plug on a Liberal project 20 years in the making? Yeah f-cking right.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
why? What about the coast of Newfoundland? Is it not precious either? How about the entire route from Newfoundland to Vancouver? Rainforest and such.

The question was the north coast compared to the south coast. No mention of anywhere else! :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Newfoundland is north coast. Polar bears and puffins. Spirit puffins no less.

What mks north any more precious?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I can't help but wonder how Justine is gonna convince all of that tanker traffic that is cruising Canada's west coast with product from Mexico and California.

... Maybe he'll wow 'em with his curly locks and promise to send them warm mittens and winter jackets

Easy on the lad, Capt. He's still an "apprentice". What gets me is in a world that can put people on the moon and is about to put them on Mars, can't move oil 5,000 miles safely. Methinks there's a "red herring" in there somewhere.