No Respect for Khadr

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Huh....I'd never heard of "THE PARIS PRINCIPLES PRINCIPLES AND GUIDELINES ON CHILDREN
ASSOCIATED WITH ARMED FORCES OR ARMED GROUPS" before. Thank you for enlightening all of
us. This document was either completely ignored or wasn't recognized as valid by the U.S. Did this
document even exist when Omar Khadr was captured by American Forces??? Who has endorsed this
document so far? Specifically, as the key countries in this situation; have either Canada, the USA, or even
Afghanistan endorsed this document? Regardless, and going forward...what should happen with Omar now?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
You have pulled it all so nicely together, earth-as-one. Thanks for your support of Omar.

Just to clarify...

I support treating child soldiers as victims as well as perpetrators, focusing on rehabilitation and re-education rather than solely on punishment. I also don't believe in torture or torturing confessions from people, especially children.

But I do not support the Taliban or their cause. But I do believe in respecting everyone's fundamental human rights, especially our adversaries.

I also support Canada's mission to Afghanistan. I don't support Canada's or the US's treatment of child soldier Omar Khadr.

W, I don't support capital punishment nor do I believe the medieval Saudi criminal justice system is fair or humane. But this discussion is about Khadr which is why I haven't posted anything about Sultan and Mohamad Kohail here.

R, the Paris principles dates to 2007. But the US and Canada were among the architects of that agreement. Signing that agreement, while violating it at the same time is hypocritical.

Also the Paris Principles were preceded by other similar agreements. You can read more here:
http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/crp/int-law.htm

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Just to clarify...

I support treating child soldiers as victims as well as perpetrators, focusing on rehabilitation and re-education rather than solely on punishment. I also don't believe in torture or torturing confessions from people, especially children.

But I do not support the Taliban or their cause. But I do believe in respecting everyone's fundamental human rights, especially our adversaries.

I also support Canada's mission to Afghanistan. I don't support Canada's or the US's treatment of child soldier Omar Khadr.

W, I don't support capital punishment nor do I believe the medieval Saudi criminal justice system is fair or humane. But this discussion is about Khadr which is why I haven't posted anything about Sultan and Mohamad Kohail here.

R, the Paris principles dates to 2007. But the US and Canada were among the architects of that agreement. Signing that agreement, while violating it at the same time is hypocritical.

Also the Paris Principles were preceded by other similar agreements. You can read more here:
http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/crp/int-law.htm
Hi, earth as one;
thank you for clarifying your position. I'm not disappointed. The only sticking point is Canada's mission in Afghanistan where I feel we have no business there! How can you justify singling out the Taliban as our enemy, when you at the same time respect "everyone's fundamental human rights, especially our adversaries"?

Thanks for the link to the Paris Principles.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Hi DL,

I agree with Canada's mission in Afghanistan.

1) Defend Canada's national interests;
2) Ensure Canadian leadership in world affairs; and
3) Help Afghanistan rebuild.

A stable peaceful Afghanistan is in Canada's and the world's best interests. Canada has a responsibility to help our allies (the US) defend themselves from attacks like 9/11. We have agreements to uphold with the US. The best longterm strategy for peace in Afghanistan is properity. So we have to help them rebuild.

But Canada has no right to impose our values on the Afghanis. That's not part of the mission. We are not there to liberate Aghani women or turn Afghanistan into a pro-US puppet state.

I'm in favor of negotiating a peace deal with the Taliban as long as they stay out of the way of Canada's mission and don't protect people who attack the west. Fighting them was never a core part of the mission.

I am in favor of a peaceful Afghan democracy. That won't happen unless all viewpoints are represented, including the Taliban.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Hi DL,

I agree with Canada's mission in Afghanistan.

1) Defend Canada's national interests;
And what is our national interest?
2) Ensure Canadian leadership in world affairs;
Why is that so important that we have to kill over it? That does not qualify as an exemplary leadership in my eyes.
3) Help Afghanistan rebuild.
Wreck it first and then look good internationally rebuilding it?
A stable peaceful Afghanistan is in Canada's and the world's best interests.
How is that? So the pipe line can get built, and the oil and gas start flowing? Oh no, that couldn't be it! Well, why don't we finally leave? Just today I read again the Afghanis hate us, they rather have the Taliban as the lesser evil than us!
Canada has a responsibility to help our allies (the US) defend themselves from attacks like 9/11. We have agreements to uphold with the US.
We must have had a weak mind when we signed those agreements! I always hear we are there because of NATO.
The best longterm strategy for peace in Afghanistan is prosperity. So we have to help them rebuild.
I see!:roll: Now I know why we are there killing people; somehow it will bring prosperity to the remaining Afghans not gotten killed in the process. That makes a lot of sense especially, now that we have worked hard on destroying their only source of income - the poppies!:lol:
But Canada has no right to impose our values on the Afghanis. That's not part of the mission.
It's a mission? Soo, then we are the missionaries bringing them prosperity!!!!
We are not there to liberate Aghani women
Wow,... you are the first one to tell me that! I'm getting confused now with conflicting statements! I heard it is the poor and uneducated women we want to bring into the 21st century.
or turn Afghanistan into a pro-US puppet state.
Haha... we already have, ... just read it today and posted it, too!!!
I'm in favor of negotiating a peace deal with the Taliban as long as they stay out of the way of Canada's mission and don't protect people who attack the west.
Ei, Ei... negotiating? Yes, that would have made good sense in the beginning, now rather too late, I fear. But, we could apologize for starters and show our good will as leaders with a mission!
Fighting them was never a core part of the mission.
But that was the first thing the US started off with... blanket bombing!! And we went over there with our weapons, not with our friendship hand stretched out. And since we are married to the US, we are just as untrustworthy as they are. "Birds of a feather flock together!" We show our true face in the case of Omar.
I am in favor of a peaceful Afghan democracy. That won't happen unless all viewpoints are represented, including the Taliban.
Well, if that is your wish, then I feel you are not consequent in your position. How can you support Canada's "mission" which is one of war and killing people, and at the same time wanting peace and prosperity and democracy? This war has been going on for seven years just about, and still no end in sight,... in the contrary, it is intensifying. At first they wanted to catch Obama and his troup, the al Qaida. Then it turned to destroying the Taliban. Somehow they were guilty of 9/11.:roll: Then the reason was to free the Afghan people from the Taliban, especially the women. Then it turned into liberating the whole backward country and bring it up to speed into the 21st century. Now it is all of the above PLUS rebuilding the country! Another reason I heard is we have to keep on fighting until we win, or we look like dummies to the rest of the world. I think we already have achieved that look!:lol:
It looks to me the mission is something other than bringing the Afghans peace and prosperity.... my hunch tells me it has a selfserving purpose. What that could be is everyone's guess.;-)

I had fun, and I hope you will too!