No Remembering! The Kids Might See A Firearm!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I was a member of our armed forces 1957-1962
The whole idea of somehow writing the wars out of our history is ridiculous. I think we have to remember
the soldiers who died in those wars. We owe it to those soldiers to teach the children about them. Banning
firearms or replicas is just silly. Will the children believe the wars were fought with sticks
?

Last edited:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I had the privilege of working on the interior exposition of the new War Museum in Ottawa.
Let me tell you. Mind blowing experience.

I say they earned the right to do and say as they please.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I have been to many veterans events, including several at schools. We NEVER took weapons along, whether replicas, inactivated ones or any other type.

There is absolutely NO valid reason why this event could not have been conducted without the weapons being present. This was a GROSS overreaction by someone, who has a VERY warped idea of just what Remembrance is all about.

A War Museum is a VERY different place than a school. I would not expect ANY war museum to NOT have a variety of weapons.

BUT, if the concept was to have the students interact with Veterans of the various wars, and to learn and understand why they owe so much to those Veterans, then weapons were neither necessary, or even slightly needed.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
This was a GROSS overreaction by someone.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

I think that "someone" in charge at school has forgotten, and needs to be reminded

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Ahhh....different times....I remember when I was in high school...the army cadets two man + instructor shooting range was right in the school basement parallel to the gym.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
You have to realize the OP comes from a self proclaimed gun buff and historian, so I can understand his interest in showing the history of war and its weapons. Just because it doesn't pick the interest of others, some consideration for the interests of others should be considered.

(Wow! I think I used consider and interest too much, eh?)
I do and did realize that Cliff. I also understand his interest and I'm not against what he would like to have happen at the school. I just believe the most important part of Remembrance Day is in the remembering.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Personally I think it is important for kids to learn about war. I think they should be taken on at least one, if not two, field trips to the war museums.

But, it sends the wrong message on a day that is about the fallen. Impressing them with cool guns does not bring to reality the horrors that veterans faced. The fact that they are unwilling to present without the guns shows that they lost their message along the way.

I can sympathize (and largely agree) with what you're saying but at the same time, I also think that when dealing with teenagers (especially boys!) you have to use whatever means you can to grab their attention, and weapons are a draw to them. Once you have that attention, you can try to redirect it.

According to the information in the article, one display station in years past had replica weapons. Others had various other pieces of gear, others had uniforms, and so on. The veteran (retired major) in the article said they had a cargo truck and a jeep (either similar or actually used, I'm not sure but thats irrelevant) that were what drew some of the attention of the school board council.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Personally I think it is important for kids to learn about war. I think they should be taken on at least one, if not two, field trips to the war museums.

But, it sends the wrong message on a day that is about the fallen. Impressing them with cool guns does not bring to reality the horrors that veterans faced. The fact that they are unwilling to present without the guns shows that they lost their message along the way.

This wasn't a Remembrance Day ceremony.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I do and did realize that Cliff. I also understand his interest and I'm not against what he would like to have happen at the school. I just believe the most important part of Remembrance Day is in the remembering.
True, but I think they should be exposed to the full gore and human degradation and suffering that comes with war on the days leading up to remembering. Maybe there would be fewer kids signing up to go kill people in foreign lands thinking that somehow there is glory in it.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

I think that "someone" in charge at school has forgotten, and needs to be reminded
We had to memorize this when I went to school. I've never forgotten it. Now in BC, November 11th is a day off. I know it's not in Alberta and I don't know about other provinces. I don't think it should be a day off.

I didn't pick up on that until I read some posts this morning. It kind of gave me a different slant on the display just because it's not on November 11. I think that seeing all that the day before may help kids today to better understand why we should remember. I think a few of us missed the "date" regarding the display.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
We had to memorize this when I went to school. I've never forgotten it. Now in BC, November 11th is a day off. I know it's not in Alberta and I don't know about other provinces. I don't think it should be a day off.

November 11 is a stat holiday in Alberta too, as I think it should be nationwide (I thought it was). In Alberta that does mean many businesses are still open/functioning but at least they have to pay OT.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
True, but I think they should be exposed to the full gore and human degradation and suffering that comes with war on the days leading up to remembering. Maybe there would be fewer kids signing up to go kill people in foreign lands thinking that somehow there is glory in it.

Glory has very little, if anything, to do with it.

Last edited:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
November 11 is a stat holiday in Alberta too, as I think it should be nationwide (I thought it was). In Alberta that does mean many businesses are still open/functioning but at least they have to pay OT.
It is a Stat everywhere but my nephew was a teacher in Calgary and he said that school was not a holiday on November 11th as the Alberta (maybe he said just Calgary) school board had chosen to use another day as a holiday rather than November 11th. I don't remember which one was used instead. I think he's only been retired for about 5 years. (nephew by marriage and there is only 4 yrs. between us). Maybe it's changed now.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Yes,that was sarcasm,young people now are "protected"from pretty much everything,and one day reality is going to hit them like an aluminium bat.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

At the end of the day, the school sets policy and we ought to respect that.

Do I agree with the policy in question? I don't know. But at the end of the day, we don't need government stepping in for every little thing.

1. The Board shall not tolerate the use, threat of use, or possession of weapons or replicas thereof by any unauthorized person on its property or in buildings or at Board-sponsored activities. The Board shall not tolerate the presence of weapons or replicas thereof in lockers, schoolbags, handbags, vehicles,or in any other place on its property. The Board adopts the following definitions of weapon:

So authorize them....that simple. They could say yes, or no.........the choice of authorization is up to them, and they choose NOT to authorize it.

They should all be fired.

Fired? for that? My god, if people got fired for every little thing, the rehiring business would be booming!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

11/11 is not a stat in Ontario. It is a federal and bank holiday. As a bank employee, I get it (actually I will work it and defer my day off to American Thanxgiving so I can watch Football) but if I worked for a non-bank in Ontario I will work it.

My son also will goto school on that day.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
There is another story running on CTV right now that concerns a widow who wants to wear her deceased husbands' medals and march in the Remembrance Day parade in her community. While I understand why she would want to honor her husband this way, I do not agree with letting her do so. Those medals belong properly on the person who earned them.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

From the article.... "The 20th anniversary of an educational Remembrance Day event is being cancelled..."

Can you explain how that's not a Remembrance day issue?

Okay, I did further reading, I see what you're saying.

There is another story running on CTV right now that concerns a widow who wants to wear her deceased husbands' medals and march in the Remembrance Day parade in her community. While I understand why she would want to honor her husband this way, I do not agree with letting her do so. Those medals belong properly on the person who earned them.

Personally I think any wife who lets her heart, the father of her children, her bread winner, march out onto a battle field, has earned those medals through pain, tears, and nightmares, just as rightfully as he has.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Here is something to think about, most of the young men who were packing those guns, and
flying those planes, and sailing aboard those ships on the high seas, were close to many in
age to those graduating from High School. All the other kids who were going to school saw the
armories full and people marching off to war, climbing aboard the ships and trains heading
for the battle fields of Europe and Asia during both World Wars.
Then there were many of today's grand parents who were victims of bombs falling on their
schools and playgrounds in Britain and else where. It wasn't a choice they got to see the guns.

We must remind our children and the public at large that our country and our world have had
some very sad chapters and unless they, the children of today, are kept aware of that history,
it will come again. The only childish people are those who believe unpleasant things can be
swept under the rug, and not presented in their full light of day.
One of the problems society faces is that we do not discuss uncomfortable topics or unpleasant
topics with our children. War and mass murder, sex healthy or otherwise, the cost and real
impact of labour disputes, why some people end up homeless or on drugs and so on.

Discussing these things is part of an education, so they understand the world around them and
they themselves can become active to ensure the adverse impacts of society are minimized.
We gain nothing from hiding the truth of our past no matter how ugly it is, so we may as well
educate today's children to take over from us when we are gone.
I remember my father saying it disturbed him greatly to see little kids eating out of garbage cans
in war torn Europe, it was an image that remained with him for life. When I was about ten or
twelve I asked him, Do you think that could ever happen here? Really?
His short answer was, Son if it could happen there it could happen here, its the job of your
generation to make sure it doesn't.

I am all for showing the weapons, and the terrible cost of war, this is death at its most violent and
these are the weapons of death. We need to defend ourselves with these weapons but they are
not toys, The people at the school need to have their head examined.