No need to worry about freedom of religion.....

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Jay, I will probably ruffle feathers with my answer, but I shall reply.

I refused to do some work for radical born-again type christians because their stance on homosexuality is offensive to me. I also would not do work for anti-abortionists, for white supremists, multi-level marketers or any other type of scheme that was designed to take advantage of people. Those were my guidelines when we started the business and my partners supported me on it. I also refused to do work for a business owned by a known pedophile. We simply referred him and the born-agains elsewhere without giving reason. I wasn't interested in fighting with them but neither was I going to put my creative abilities to work for them.

In my opinion, I find it desirable to take my business to like minded individuals. In my case, I support gay and lesbian as well as animal rescue conscious businesses whenever I have the opportunity.

I am a graphic designer and once, while working for a newspaper, was forced to create an anti-abortion ad. It was terribly offensive and I swore I would never again do anything that went against my own principles. So far, I have managed to stick to that.

Out of curiousity, why did you ask me this? Have you had an experience with someone refusing to do work for you? If so, why?

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Jay, I will probably ruffle feathers with my answer, but I shall reply.

I refused to do some work for radical born-again type christians because their stance on homosexuality is offensive to me. I also would not do work for anti-abortionists, for white supremists, multi-level marketers or any other type of scheme that was designed to take advantage of people. Those were my guidelines when we started the business and my partners supported me on it. I also refused to do work for a business owned by a known pedophile. We simply referred him and the born-agains elsewhere without giving reason. I wasn't interested in fighting with them but neither was I going to put my creative abilities to work for them.

In my opinion, I find it desirable to take my business to like minded individuals. In my case, I support gay and lesbian as well as animal rescue conscious businesses whenever I have the opportunity.

I am a graphic designer and once, while working for a newspaper, was forced to create an anti-abortion ad. It was terribly offensive and I swore I would never again do anything that went against my own principles. So far, I have managed to stick to that.

Out of curiousity, why did you ask me this? Have you had an experience with someone refusing to do work for you? If so, why?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Cosmo, thanks for your reply and your honesty.

I asked you that question just so I could get a feel for what someone else might "discriminate" against.

It was simply to satisfy my own curiosity, and I suppose, since were all being so honest here, I figured you would say (I quote)" for radical born-again type Christians ", and I wanted it to be admitted because I know this sort of thing happens. I need all the amo I can get around here. Again thanks for your honesty.

I might add that I have no ruffled feathers over it even if I am a Christian, and I support your right to practice your business the way you wish. Most of my best friends are atheist/agnostic; they say and do all sorts of crazy stuff. What counts is that I love (and forgive) them anyways.

Thanks again Cosmo.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

I asked you that question just so I could get a feel for what someone else might "discriminate" against.

It was simply to satisfy my own curiosity, and I suppose, since were all being so honest here, I figured you would say (I quote)" for radical born-again type Christians ", and I wanted it to be admitted because I know this sort of thing happens. I need all the amo I can get around here. Again thanks for your honesty.

I might add that I have no ruffled feathers over it even if I am a Christian, and I support your right to practice your business the way you wish. Most of my best friends are atheist/agnostic; they say and do all sorts of crazy stuff. What counts is that I love (and forgive) them anyways.

Thanks again Cosmo.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Thanks again Cosmo.

NSA

Nominee Member
Jan 20, 2005
Guelph, Ontario
RE: No need to worry abou

I figured you would say (I quote)" for radical born-again type Christians ", and I wanted it to be admitted because I know this sort of thing happens. I need all the amo I can get around here.

I can't honestly say I disapprove of Cosmo refusing to do business with people who, if they knew she was an "unapologetic dyke", would think she is an awful person and probably tell her so to her face. Of course the flip side is that a fundamentalist printer gets to refuse to print stuff for gays. Freedom's a bitch precisely because people we don't like get to be just as free as us.

Jay, I'm sure your friends appreciate your forgiveness :lol:

NSA

Nominee Member
Jan 20, 2005
Guelph, Ontario

I figured you would say (I quote)" for radical born-again type Christians ", and I wanted it to be admitted because I know this sort of thing happens. I need all the amo I can get around here.

I can't honestly say I disapprove of Cosmo refusing to do business with people who, if they knew she was an "unapologetic dyke", would think she is an awful person and probably tell her so to her face. Of course the flip side is that a fundamentalist printer gets to refuse to print stuff for gays. Freedom's a bitch precisely because people we don't like get to be just as free as us.

NSA

Nominee Member
Jan 20, 2005
Guelph, Ontario

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Re: RE: No need to worry about freedom of religion.....

Jay said:

Well, Jay, this ought not be taken out of context. I have no discriminatory feelings towards radical christians, per se. My problem arose when I was asked to put together materials that I found discriminatory and exclusionary. It was for a project for christians only and put forth ideas I found objectionable. "Admitting" my actions causes me no discomfort. And I don't think it serves as effective ammo. :) It's not a generalization but a specific incident that had no bearing on you or your beliefs.

I have had some extremely interesting conversations with born-again type christians. It is my way to make an effort to try to understand how a person comes to believe what they do. I may not agree, but as long as it's not my head they want to put on a stake, I can enjoy a good debate.

I must say, though, that your comment about "forgiving" your friends for having different beliefs is supercilious and condescending. How can you "forgive" unless you are standing in judgement and finding your friends wanting? I would hesitate to call anyone who treated me that way a friend. Many of my friends have radically different beliefs than I. Rather than love them despite their views, I often love them for their conviction. And frequently I love them for the lively debate we engage in. Even when I do not agree with someone, I can respect them when they can put forth intelligent, rational debate.

I hate to disappoint you, Jay, but I am unable to supply you with ammo. If your beliefs serve to elevate you as a person, I support them whole heartedly -- even if I do not subscribe to them. And if you came to my company asking for business cards with a christian motif, I would have gladly put my creative skills to work for you. It wasn't the religion, it was the hatred I declined to support.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Jay said:

Well, Jay, this ought not be taken out of context. I have no discriminatory feelings towards radical christians, per se. My problem arose when I was asked to put together materials that I found discriminatory and exclusionary. It was for a project for christians only and put forth ideas I found objectionable. "Admitting" my actions causes me no discomfort. And I don't think it serves as effective ammo. :) It's not a generalization but a specific incident that had no bearing on you or your beliefs.

I have had some extremely interesting conversations with born-again type christians. It is my way to make an effort to try to understand how a person comes to believe what they do. I may not agree, but as long as it's not my head they want to put on a stake, I can enjoy a good debate.

I must say, though, that your comment about "forgiving" your friends for having different beliefs is supercilious and condescending. How can you "forgive" unless you are standing in judgement and finding your friends wanting? I would hesitate to call anyone who treated me that way a friend. Many of my friends have radically different beliefs than I. Rather than love them despite their views, I often love them for their conviction. And frequently I love them for the lively debate we engage in. Even when I do not agree with someone, I can respect them when they can put forth intelligent, rational debate.

I hate to disappoint you, Jay, but I am unable to supply you with ammo. If your beliefs serve to elevate you as a person, I support them whole heartedly -- even if I do not subscribe to them. And if you came to my company asking for business cards with a christian motif, I would have gladly put my creative skills to work for you. It wasn't the religion, it was the hatred I declined to support.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC

Jay said:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That’s cute.

I really must pay more attention to what I'm doing. I was near the end of the workday, and I was a bit rushed and I didn't really mean it how it looks. I meant it in complete jest.

I put the "and forgive" part in brackets to somewhat demonstrate that it was a joke I should have used a smiley face or something. Seriously if you knew me you would understand. I'm not the type to be telling my friends "I love you man, and I forgive you for not being Christian.....” ( I might try it out though, it might do them some good!!)
I should have separated my thoughts better. My bad.

That’s funny though, and at least I'm having a laugh, even if I’m the only one.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That’s cute.

I really must pay more attention to what I'm doing. I was near the end of the workday, and I was a bit rushed and I didn't really mean it how it looks. I meant it in complete jest.

I put the "and forgive" part in brackets to somewhat demonstrate that it was a joke I should have used a smiley face or something. Seriously if you knew me you would understand. I'm not the type to be telling my friends "I love you man, and I forgive you for not being Christian.....” ( I might try it out though, it might do them some good!!)

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That’s cute.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle

Jay said:
You see many Canadians have serious contempt for free enterprise. Lefty types in this country at least, aren’t content with allowing you to run your own life; they have to run it for you. And, at the end of the day, after you worked hard for them, they fleece you for all your worth.

Politically, I lean to the left, Jay. That doesn't mean I don't see both sides of the issue. The business owner has rights as well, that's all.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle

Jay said:
You see many Canadians have serious contempt for free enterprise. Lefty types in this country at least, aren’t content with allowing you to run your own life; they have to run it for you. And, at the end of the day, after you worked hard for them, they fleece you for all your worth.

Politically, I lean to the left, Jay. That doesn't mean I don't see both sides of the issue. The business owner has rights as well, that's all.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle

Jay said: