No More Common Wealth - An Independant Canada

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Your right ITN, I recall my friend telling me that britain almost went to war with the US just before World War 1

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Until 1929 the US had on file plans for the invasion of Canada. The emergence of Japan as an adversary during 30's changed US policies towards Britain and it's colonies and former colonies.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Until 1929 the US had on file plans for the invasion of Canada. The emergence of Japan as an adversary during 30's changed US policies towards Britain and it's colonies and former colonies.

I think I read those plans somewheres. I seem to recall laughing. I'm fairly certain it wasn't an actual plan, more of an exercise 'just in case' sort of thing. If I remember correctly. THe documetn was declassifed in the 70's, again if I remember correctly.

Edit to add: This is all I could find. http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mcanadawar.html

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
It is time that Canada become truly an independant country. As everyone knows, Canada is a country that is a member of the British Commonwealth. It is time that Canada stay allies with Britain, but declare themselves a completley independent country. Although political postions held by British representatives in Canada - for the most part - are completley honorary and have no real power, they still exist. The queen is still technically considered to be Canada's head of State. The Prime .

This issue keeps popping up on Canadian lists all the time. Why must we sever ties with monarchy? What harm does it do to retain our heritage and traditions as Citizens of Her Majesty the Queen?

Further, why sever our ties with the Commonwealth? I daresay it is one of the strongest reasons we have had preventing American occupation.

chris

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
ok, quick post here.

If we got rid of the Queen, Our prime minister would not become our head of state. The Prime Minister is the Head of Government , he is the equivalent of the US first speaker of the Congress.

Seeing as there does not seem to be a rational use to a Head of State beyond coming corrupt and siezing the country in a coup (as most nations presidents have at some point), I don't see why we should get rid of the queen.

She is as Much a Canadian citizen as she is British.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
ok, quick post here.

If we got rid of the Queen, Our prime minister would not become our head of state. The Prime Minister is the Head of Government , he is the equivalent of the US first speaker of the Congress.

Not necessarily. There isn't any reason on earth, in a non-monarchial system why the PM couldn't also be the Head of State. They're just titles anyway. Some countries have both aPM as head of government and a President as Head of State.

Me, I say just leave well enough alone;-)

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
He couldn't be the head of state because he doesn't hold that kind of power, If he did hold that kind of power then we wouldn't be able to have either a head of state nor head of government during a minority government (the leader of the party with the most seats is not automatically the PM, especially in a coalition)

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
He couldn't be the head of state because he doesn't hold that kind of power, If he did hold that kind of power then we wouldn't be able to have either a head of state nor head of government during a minority government (the leader of the party with the most seats is not automatically the PM, especially in a coalition)

Are you serious? I don't know where you live, but in reality the PM has the majority of the power. In fact, a Canadian PM has more power than an American President.

You compared his role earlier to the speaker of the American congress. I meant to comment on that, because there is no comparison. The PM is head of the government, and all that it implies.

And he could have anything we want him to have. You miss the point. These are not real things, you know, Kings, PM's or whatever. They are just commonly supposed labels. Our Head of State could be called Chief Chicken Doctor, it's all just a title. The reality is the power.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
nor head of government during a minority government (the leader of the party with the most seats is not automatically the PM, especially in a coalition)

Really. It is my understanding that, in most cases, the leader of the majority party is very much the PM. Can you name a time this was not so in our history that I may not be familiar with?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Well, if its a majority party then its not a Minority government is it?

But if you mean "the party with the most seats", then it happened in 1926.

The Party with the most seats gets first dibs at running the country, however to do so it must be able to control the parliment , Ie, command the majority of seats.

So for instance, If The Bloc, NDP and Liberals all voted to boot harper (all being left leaning), it would not neccecarily mean a new election.

They could opt to either let the Liberals run the country, or form a coalition (ie, Liberal PM, Bloc Finance minister, NDP education minister, etc etc)