No help for amputee in the richest province in Canada

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have never liked WCB and I have never met anyone who had a pleasant experience dealing
with them. All too often people simply believe you file the papers and get paid that never and
I mean never happens. I do feel for the guy no one should be on the brink of starvation but I
also wonder how the circumstance came about and when the client initiated the process.
Those are valid questions as it gives us a picture of what actually happened to date.

Actually W.C.B. aren't quite the bastards they seem to be. About 30 years ago I attended a two day seminar put on by W.C.B. where their entire operation was explained to us from stem to gudgeon. A lot of people try to rip them off so they have to be very vigilant or they'd be broke in no time. They had one case of a guy with a "severe back" who "couldn't possibly work" at his trade/profession so he was collecting full compo. They were suspicious of him so they had a detective watching the guy and sure as sh*t before few weeks went by they had pictures of him on his roof, installing roofing. I personally have worked with one particular "lead slinger" who was always pulling that same kind of sh*t on a smaller scale. We sent him to a Gov't doctor finally on one incident but of course by the time he attended the appointment he was "all better". As far as scams go W.C.B. is likely right up there with welfare.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Actually W.C.B. aren't quite the bastards they seem to be. About 30 years ago I attended a two day seminar put on by W.C.B. where their entire operation was explained to us from stem to gudgeon. A lot of people try to rip them off so they have to be very vigilant or they'd be broke in no time. They had one case of a guy with a "severe back" who "couldn't possibly work" at his trade/profession so he was collecting full compo. They were suspicious of him so they had a detective watching the guy and sure as sh*t before few weeks went by they had pictures of him on his roof, installing roofing. I personally have worked with one particular "lead slinger" who was always pulling that same kind of sh*t on a smaller scale. We sent him to a Gov't doctor finally on one incident but of course by the time he attended the appointment he was "all better". As far as scams go W.C.B. is likely right up there with welfare.

Yes, so as in everything else, it makes things more difficult for those who were actually injured on the job to make claims. Rather than taking the claim seriously, you're immediately suspect and every effort is made to ensure the claim is denied. That is truly unfortunate.

But I agree with other Posters, there isn't near enough information to make any assumptions at all, nor is there enought info to determine whether there was a failure in the system.

JMHO

Just as an aside, it would have been nice if the CBC had investigated further before airing this story. As it stands, it's called "lazy" reporting to my way of thinking.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I have heard enough bad stories about WCB to believe that this man probably has a valid complaint.

However, the news article is so short, and so void of details, I was not left agreeing with the journalist at the end of the article.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The Workers Compensation Board are bunch A-Holes. My wife had her hand operated on for severe carpal and they were the biggest bunch of **** wads we have ever had to deal with. In all honesty I'd rather deal with separatists than the WCB ever again.

What a bunch of harassing heartless pricks they are.

When I think of WCB, words like:

• Rat ****,
  • Scumsucking
  • Sleezebucket
  • ******* licking
  • felching
  • Underwear skid
I could add a bunch more words that will probably be censored, but you get the jest.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
WCB doesn't deal with the concept of "innocent 'till proven guity", etc...as it is an
insurance company, & insurance companies are there to collect money and pay
out as little as possible. It's what they do. If there is any reason not to pay out,
right or wrong, then they don't pay out.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
"A government official couldn't comment directly about the case but told CBC News that the average wait time on the hotline was around half an hour, which received more than 500 calls over the last six days.

'Certainly it would be nice to be able to respond immediately, but you never know what kind of traffic you will receive during a specific time frame,' said spokesperson Tracey Kipta. 'But what we do encourage individuals to do is to please wait on the line and someone will be happy to assist as soon as they can.'"

Well, the sensible thing to do would be to hire enough temp people to do the freakin job in order to keep the "line" short, then.
As far as Workman's Comp goes, I've heard way too many stories about that bunch's malevolence to consider them of being any use.
Allowing things to get bad enough for someone not to be able to feed themselves is outright despicable.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
'Certainly it would be nice to be able to respond immediately, but you never know what kind of traffic you will receive during a specific time frame,' said spokesperson Tracey Kipta. 'But what we do encourage individuals to do is to please wait on the line and someone will be happy to assist as soon as they can.'

Which is a stark contrast to the letter these bottom feeders send out which states. 'We are evaluating your case and will need multiple letters from the doctor and you had better get back to us post haste or we will halt any benefits and take action to recover benefits paid out.'

Not verbatim, but damn close.

The Workers Compensation Board of Canada is lower than pond scum.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Which is a stark contrast to the letter these bottom feeders send out which states. 'We are evaluating your case and will need multiple letters from the doctor and you had better get back to us post haste or we will halt any benefits and take action to recover benefits paid out.'

Not verbatim, but damn close.

The Workers Compensation Board of Canada is lower than pond scum.
Yep. Gnats with god complexes.