New Year's Eve Plans-a-Plenty

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
If you go, you must go around Canada day. They have a waterfall from the high level bridge down to the North Saskatchewan River. It's something else to see, and they only run it for Canada day. (Actually, now that I think about it, I think they run it during other events too, but definitely on Canada day...)

You should also check out the Muttart Conservatory, just cause they're cool buildings.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Wow, I think we will make a point of passing through Edmonton on our way to Quebec this summer! It is slightly out of the way to the north, but not much, I don't think.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
If you take Highway 1, it's 3 hours north, but then you can take the yellowhead through Lloydminster (where one side of the main street is in Alberta, and the other side is in Saskatchewan) and then go through the city of bridges...Saskatoon!!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: New Year's Eve Plans-a-Plenty

Diamond Sun said:
If you take Highway 1, it's 3 hours north, but then you can take the yellowhead through Lloydminster (where one side of the main street is in Alberta, and the other side is in Saskatchewan) and then go through the city of bridges...Saskatoon!!

That is a must-do, then, since Saskatoon is where my mother grew up. She was born in Nova Scotia, but grew up in Saskatoon and also the Manitou Lake area, this was during the Depression years. My great-uncle painted many a picture of those bridges, one painting is on our wall, in fact.

Re: RE: New Year's Eve Plans-a-Plenty

Diamond Sun said:
If you go, you must go around Canada day. They have a waterfall from the high level bridge down to the North Saskatchewan River. It's something else to see, and they only run it for Canada day. (Actually, now that I think about it, I think they run it during other events too, but definitely on Canada day...)

You should also check out the Muttart Conservatory, just cause they're cool buildings.

Yeah..but hey! We in Calgary light the Calgary Tower on fire!

It's a left over from the 88 Olympics. The Calgary Tower was fitted with gas jets on the top of it to make it look like the Olympic torch. On special occasions like New Years, Canada Day and I think every day of the Calgary Stampede, she's lit up like a...well...torch.

It's pretty cool :)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Hmm, I think I will be seeing Calgary again as well as Edmonton for the first time. At this rate, i will never make it to Quebec!

Other than First Night, what other great things are there to do in Calgary on New Year's Eve? Does anybody do fireworks for that night? First time I ever saw that done was in Germany, they had the most amazing fireworks display at midnight, very cool.