New forum template preview

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hey everyone. I just wanted to get out here as get some opinions on the new forum skin that I'm working on. The url is http://www.canadiancontent.net/cancon/ and be aware, it's not complete. So be honest and tell me what you like, what you don't like and what you hate!

Be aware, this is not FINAL! I need some input from the community as I finish off the full design and all of the pages (there's a lot of work that goes into the forum templates, tons of pages and various background stuff).

Also, any mods, additions or features you'd like to see... let me know! Reply to this thread.

I need input!

undergradNITZ

Electoral Member
Aug 6, 2004
Toronto
i think its good...it would be nice to have some change...im still happy with the current one but i still like the new one...

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
I like the visual appearance ... looks great.

One comment, though:

Why the departure from using Red in the design?

I only ask, because the name is "Canadian" Content, and Red is our national colour (and internationally recognized). When I think "Canadian", I think of "Red". Red, White, and Blue, seems to depict Canada. I know the new flag design tried to depart from the concept of the US red/white/blue, but a flag with red oceans on each side of a red leaf is lame (but that is an old lost battle).

I do like the orange/blue/white combo, as far as design esthetics go.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I like it too Andem, good work.

Will we have a link directly to our In Box for PM's?

That's about all I can think of.

Isengard

Electoral Member
Looks nice, I like it. Just one thing, I don't really like the orange used for the title bar... I dunno which colour you should use though, maybe another blue, not the same you already have but something that would go with it...

Keep up the good work! :)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
bevvyd said:
I like it too Andem, good work.

Will we have a link directly to our In Box for PM's?

That's about all I can think of.

The "you have no new messages" will be a link to the PM inbox. The mailbox will also be redesigned.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I tried incorporating red into the design, but it didnt seem to go very well. Quite out of place. As I continue to work on the different parts of the whole design (thread listings, post listings, search pages, etc), I might change different parts of the whole design and add other things.

Also, I have not yet found a nice place for a login box, which you must have noticed was missing! I will be playing around with the design so it turns out to be a pleasure to the eye :)

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
It looks great. Andem I have to hand it to you web guys...

I have work for you. Do you moonlight? :wink:

One curious thing right now about logging in is I check the box to log me in everytime automatically, yet it doesn't.

This just happened since my new hardrive a couple of weeks ago. (I lost EVERYTHING, including backup.)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hi vista. I'm not familiar with moonlight, but probably not difficult for me.

As for the always logged in thing, try changing your Internet Explorer, Opera or Mozilla settings to change the security level or privacy level (in IE) to low.

Usually, IE isnt setup to default save cookies.

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
vista said:
Curious. The computer was shut down. I fired it up and came here... still logged on. No IE changes yet made. Curious.

Go to your COOKIE folder and see if you can locate the one for "whatever"@canadiancontent.net ("whatever being your username, or possibly something else), Delete it, restart your browser, and come back to the forum.

If using Windows XP, should be located at:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourcomputerusername\Cookies

If Using Windows Me or 98 it should be:
C:\Windows\Cookies

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Ok I just did that and I'll what happens next time I restart.

BTW, during the same session last night, I closed all browers then came back here and wasn't logged in. This morning I came over here and I was.

???

Could it be because I received a Topic Reply Notification in my e-mail box?

Soda

Aug 30, 2004
Cochrane, AB
one thing that i noticed, if i may comment, in other forums that i have seen/belonged to there was an option to see all posts since my last visit... just a clicky that you could tap and it would take you to another page that contained all posts since my last visit. In that way, the entire front page was made up of "Important Announcement" thread snippets with "more" links to the entire topic.... I just find that to be user friendly and very clean....

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Thanks for all of the compliments / comments / suggestions.

Vista: I'm recoding some of the functions of the board and I'll be patching up a lot of stuff, including upgrading to the latest and greatest version of phpBB with all of the new fixings (but remaining the unique options implemented over the years unique to CanadianContent).

w00t.

I'm working on it some more tonight, and I'll throw some of the workload onto Shmad. :)

Anything else anyone can think of?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Alright guys, there is now a preview available at http://www.canadiancontent.net/beta/ so you can see what the whole thing is going to look like. Feedback still required... there are still some blank spots here and there where the style has not been completed.

Take a look and feedback!

(I took last night's backup so we can have a preview. All forums are locked there.)

PS. Please use the logo at the topc of the pages to navigate back to the forum main page).

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
Looks good!