New explosions in London

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I realize what you're saying. But they didn't know he had no bomb until they shot him dead. That's the issue. I think it's unfair crtiicism towards the police that especially at the moment are not thinking straight. A tragedy nonetheless.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
RE: New explosions in Lon

Well they better start thinking straight or they are going to kill a lot of innocent people. Police is trained to function under the most stressful of situations. However, I think that they are adopting the American system now. Kill first, ask questions later.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Rookie cops are exactly that, rookies. That's one possible aspect. Pressure from superiors, living in a current environment where terrorism hit twice in such a short period of time is another.

And if you are walking around in a trench coat near the London tube after terrorist attacks you aren't exactly the brightest bulb in the box. He's another victim of terrorism, that's the way I see it.

As for your comments on the American "system", they are amusing.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
The Muslim Council of Britain said Muslims were concerned about a possible "shoot to kill" policy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706787.stm

Newsflash: It's not a possible policy, it is a policy that has been stated clearly in no uncertain terms.

Spokesman Inayat Bunglawala said Muslims he had spoken to this morning were "jumpy and nervous".

"I have just had one phone call saying, 'what if I was carrying a rucksack?'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4707781.stm

Umm... if a cop points a gun at you and yells "freeze!". Try freezing. :? Stand still with your hands where they can see them = good idea. Desperately try to run away = bad idea. Just remember those two simple things.

Apparently some passengers are reporting this guy was wearing a bomb belt with wires coming out. Of course early reports like that are often retracted later.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Just wait til school starts in the fall. Backpacks galore, let's hope a riot doesn't ensue because of a few demented people. But in the interest of safety.......

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

Truth is always amusing. This why the American public is not amused. They haven't seen the truth for a looooooooong time.

As for the victim that was shot today, he is not a victim of terrorism. He is a victim of paranoia and fear. This kind of action is like telling the terrorists that they have won. That is all what the terrorists wants you to do. Panic, police state, on edge. That's what is happening now.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

He'd better have had a bomb strapped to him. If he didn't, it's murder.

Think you might panic a bit if you were a South Asian in London right now and men started pointing guns at you and yelling, ITN and JTF? The cops were plainclothes.

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
Re: RE: New explosions in Lon

Reverend Blair said:
Think you might panic a bit if you were a South Asian in London right now and men started pointing guns at you and yelling, ITN and JTF? The cops were plainclothes.

Yes, very much so. Still, I maintain my previous advice as valid and wise - when told freeze - freeze for goodness sakes!

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

moghrabi said:
It is easier said than done JTF.

I can't imagine why. If five guys pull a gun on me and tell me to freeze, and I KNOW that if I make a move they're gonna pump me full of holes, I don't think I would be undergoing a major dilemma as to what to do.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

They were plain clothed. Humans tends to either fight or flight. He got scared and started running. Some people may freeze on the spot. Whatever happened to the poor guy, I still wonder why 5 bullets to th head. Remember the news are are saying he was shot by police sniper. What kind of a sniper is this that need to shoot 5 times to the head?

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

moghrabi said:
Remember the news are are saying he was shot by police sniper. What kind of a sniper is this that need to shoot 5 times to the head?

This is the first I've heard of a sniper. The reports I've been reading talk about 4 or 5 officers "bundling on top" of the guy. Why would they "bundle" on top of the guy? Was it an act of bravery to shield by-standers from the force of an explosion? He was apparently wearing a thick coat that looked padded, on a hot day.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

The original story this morning changed now to police nabbing the guy. But then nabbing him and 5 officers on top of him, why would you shoot him 5 times in the head?

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario

moghrabi said:
The original story this morning changed now to police nabbing the guy. But then nabbing him and 5 officers on top of him, why would you shoot him 5 times in the head?

Again I haven't heard anything about him being shot in the head specifically, but I guess he may have been. Either way, the obvious answer is they were afraid he was about to explode, so they made sure he was taken down before he could press the button.

Early reports had eye-witnesses reporting that he was wearing a bomb belt with wires sticking out. I guess we'll have to wait a bit before we get all the credible details.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: Strange coincidences

Remember this from 9-11? -
"In what the government describes as a bizarre coincidence, one U.S. intelligence agency was planning an exercise on Sept. 11 in which an errant aircraft would crash into one of its buildings."

The same kind of thing happened in London -
"At half past nine this morning we were actually running an exercise in London, based on simultaneous bombs going off precisely at the railway stations where it happened this morning."
-- Former Scotland Yard Official Peter Power on BBC, 7/7/05

K - Well heck, it happens all the time I guess, which is why these astounding statements didn't draw front-page coverage both in the UK and US.... and why Peter Power now backtracking on some of his earlier comments.
Nothing to look at here folks, please move along.

link to 2nd quote, other articles about London bombs,9-11 etc. -
http://www.wanttoknow.info/050713londonbombingcoverup

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Man shot dead by UK police not connected to bombs

19 minutes ago

Police acknowledged on Saturday the man they shot dead on Friday was not connected to bomb attacks on the British capital the previous day, calling the shooting tragic and regrettable.

"We are now satisfied that he was not connected with the incidents of Thursday 21st July 2005," police said in a statement.

"For somebody to lose their life in such circumstances is a tragedy and one that the Metropolitan Police Service regrets," the police said.

Police hunting four men who tried to bomb London's transport system on Thursday -- two weeks after suicide bombers killed 52 commuters -- shot dead the man who had been under surveillance and refused orders to halt.

The killing at point-blank range with five shots to the head in front of shocked passengers on a packed underground train triggered speculation that traditionally unarmed British police had radically changed their iron-fist-in-velvet-glove approach.

"The man emerged from a block of flats in the Stockwell area that were under police surveillance as part of the investigation into the incidents on Thursday 21st July.

"He was then followed by surveillance officers to the underground station. His clothing and behavior added to their suspicions," the statement said.

It added that the circumstances that led to the man's death were being investigated.

It is truly sad.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
It is sad, and at the same time quite surprising that something like this hasn't happened sooner...the culture of fear can only lead to these kinds of events, and hopefully now the Brits will have a period of introspection, and realize that this approach does far more harm than good...

I think the only reason that this hasn't happened in the States is because they don't shoot them in public...they 'disappear' their suspects to be tortured and shot by someone else...