NDP recordings proof of power grab, Tory MP alleges

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
The Leader at the time of the Sponsorship scandal, and "Mr. Brown Bags" are BOTH
criminals. Only one of them has his stink on this overthrow of the current government
though...

'Overthrow'? A tad extreme. The Liberal and NDP parties have every right to form a coalition. And frankly, seeing as how those two add up to 44% of the popular vote (add in the Greens and you've got your 50%), they'll represent more of Canadians than a Conservative government will.

I just wanted to add that I think that the entire reason this is happening is because the Conservative Party of Canada used the Canadian economy as a pawn in the promises they made to get into power. That they even suggested lowering consumption taxes was irresponsible at best, incompetent more probably.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
For God's sake, seeking a coalition is not against the law. They are doing it in plain daylight. To have a successful coalition you first have to have a majority of supporters. Harper's mistake was trying to govern like he had a majority when he didn't.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
For God's sake, seeking a coalition is not against the law. They are doing it in plain daylight. To have a successful coalition you first have to have a majority of supporters. Harper's mistake was trying to govern like he had a majority when he didn't.

Good day Juan, like the famous saying "don't let power over power your brain, in short don’t let it get to your head.....
The biggest mistake people often make when in position of power they underestimate their indispensability, and Harper did just that.................:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Does anyone actually think the Liberals & NDP have a plan for our economy, other then throwing billions to mismanaged auto companies?

Yup, I do. And if they didn't have a plan before, if they want this plan to go through, they'd best have one made up by now.

What has Harper and the Cons done so far?

"Oh we're just super.... we cut 1% off the GST and that prepped us for this economic situation.... we're pro's, don't worry."

Yeah ok there.... great friggin plan.... that solves about as much as they took away..... 1% of the overall problem..... what about the rest of the problem like banks stopping with loans, thousands losing jobs?

"Oh, well we had more jobs created overall then lost last year, so we're still doing good."

Yeah great.... all the while the greater majority of those jobs created were part time minimum wage jobs that are pretty well worthless to live off of.

Are we to forget the sponsorship scandal so quick, Socrates? Take your bloody blinder off for a minute.

That's why I'm glad the NDP and other parties will be involved, not just the Liberals or just the Conservatives.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Yup, I do. And if they didn't have a plan before, if they want this plan to go through, they'd best have one made up by now.

What has Harper and the Cons done so far?

"Oh we're just super.... we cut 1% off the GST and that prepped us for this economic situation.... we're pro's, don't worry."

Yeah ok there.... great friggin plan.... that solves about as much as they took away..... 1% of the overall problem..... what about the rest of the problem like banks stopping with loans, thousands losing jobs?

"Oh, well we had more jobs created overall then lost last year, so we're still doing good."

Yeah great.... all the while the greater majority of those jobs created were part time minimum wage jobs that are pretty well worthless to live off of.

That's why I'm glad the NDP and other parties will be involved, not just the Liberals or just the Conservatives.

I don't think Harper has done much but I'm not naive enough to think that this coalition has some magic plan to lift us from recession. This is a global issue effecting all the large economies, the coalition will be rather limited in in correcting that.

How can the coalition create more high paying jobs short of expanding the government 10 fold? The manufacturing sector is disappearing and those types of high paying jobs are likely gone for good.

All I have heard is that there will be a bailout of the auto manufacturers, which might help Ontario for a bit but what does that do for the western or eastern provinces?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
How can the coalition create more high paying jobs short of expanding the government 10 fold? The manufacturing sector is disappearing and those types of high paying jobs are likely gone for good.

Those jobs are gone only because we do nothing to protect them.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Those jobs are gone only because we do nothing to protect them.

That's your opinion of what's happened to the big 3 auto manufacturers here in Canada? You don't think the problem might have something to do with mismanagement, inferior products & building giant trucks which no one wants?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
That's your opinion of what's happened to the big 3 auto manufacturers here in Canada?

Yes.

You don't think the problem might have something to do with mismanagement, inferior products & building giant trucks which no one wants?

The far east has many ways of subsidizing its industry. For example China refuses to float its currency. We are being slaughtered because we're being idiots. A country must protect it's jobs and resources.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Yes.

The far east has many ways of subsidizing its industry. For example China refuses to float its currency. We are being slaughtered because we're being idiots. A country must protect it's jobs.

The domestic auto sectors troubles cannot be solely blamed upon Japanese subsidies etc. Honda manufactures cars here in Ontario and they certainly aren't in as dire of troubles as GM etc. I can think of a few reasons why:

- They aren't crippled by a massive pension plan which is horribly mismanaged
- Consumers like their cars
- The cars are far more reliable
- Their cars generally consumer less gas
- More ecologically designed and developed
- The company isn't mismanaged by out of touch executives who can only think massive profit margins by building monstrous SUV's.
- Company isn't dragged down by the 19'th century unions representing the domestic builders

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The domestic auto sectors troubles cannot be solely blamed upon Japanese subsidies etc. Honda manufactures cars here in Ontario and they certainly aren't in as dire of troubles as GM etc. I can think of a few reasons why:

- The company isn't mismanaged by out of touch executives who can only think massive profit margins by building monstrous SUV's.
- Company isn't dragged down by the 19'th century unions representing the domestic builders

- They don't have a decent sports car
- They don't have a decent truck

I agree with your union comment, tho.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
- They don't have a decent sports car
- They don't have a decent truck

I agree with your union comment, tho.

US auto manufacturers do some things good but far too many things wrong. I agree they build work quality trucks and decent hotrods but their miscalculation in regards to north americans buying bloated SUV's for eternity was pretty dumb.

I think they should go bankrupt and rebuild without all the debt and liabilities they have now. The maybe the government should consider feeding them so money to start things up but as it is the government will be just patching a rapidly deflating tire.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That red ink is a little hard on the eyes, could you tone it down a touch. ;-)

Get used to it.....there is going to be gallons and gallons of red ink......according to the CBC news an hour ago, Dion will be PM, and an economic stimulus package worth "tens of billions" of dollars is part of the deal.

No doubt a very significant part going to Quebec, thus enhancing the position of the Separatists......can you imagine what has been promised the BQ for them to accept Dion (author of the Clarity Act) as PM????????

As for the tape....how the Hell did he get it?

If he used electronic eavesdropping without being party to the conversation, I think he is legal toast. And that would be unethical.

If he was party to the conversation, or got the tape from someone who was party to the conversation, the recording is both legal and, IMHO, ethical.

If you call me on the phone (or vice-versa) it is perfectly legal for me to record the conversation without informing you.......it takes recording by an uninvited third party for there to be any legal/ethical problem.

As I understand the law.

Whatever......the country is going to Hell in a handbasket, thanks to the Idiots in Parliament.......especially Dion and Layton.

Once again, dealing with the BQ is WAY beyond the pale, IMHO.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The domestic auto sectors troubles cannot be solely blamed upon Japanese subsidies etc.

Sure, I agree but it does play a huge role.

Honda manufactures cars here in Ontario and they certainly aren't in as dire of troubles as GM etc. I can think of a few reasons why:

So you want "good" jobs without pensions and unions?

Gee... that's... well um, stupid.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
US auto manufacturers do some things good but far too many things wrong. I agree they build work quality trucks and decent hotrods but their miscalculation in regards to north americans buying bloated SUV's for eternity was pretty dumb.

I think they should go bankrupt and rebuild without all the debt and liabilities they have now. The maybe the government should consider feeding them so money to start things up but as it is the government will be just patching a rapidly deflating tire.

It would at first appear that the big three misread the market, but who could have predicted the mess the economy turned into? And the gas prices? With the gas prices now dropping big time, who knows? Maybe the SUV market will pick up.