NDP cause of gas rate hike?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
How did this happen when the Conservative were elected with a majority?

Didn't Harper warn of this problem if the NDP were elected and formed a coalition government?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Of course it's all Jack Lenin's fault. Who else?

It's good for the economy for me to have to pay $125 to fill the truck. I don't need the money. It should be twice that really.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
No no, its not Jacko's fault, its Harpo's. No wait, its because Lybian oil is off the market. No wait, its because the price of crude is up...or down...or something like that. No, wrong its because of flooding in the Mississippi.....

I wish the news would just for once give a truthful answer.

The reason gas is up again, $1.395 in parts of Ont this morning, is because of the futures market! Whenever profit seems to be dropping the oils corps buy heavily into oil futures, this drives the price up. The futures market is one of those things that allows prices to be artificially inflated and controlled. It is just as bad for the economy and the average person as the derivative market. These 2 segments of the markets are the worst thing governments have ever allowed and really should be ended.

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA

Didn't Harper warn of this problem if the NDP were elected and formed a coalition government?

---------------------------------

Are you unaware of the complicated effects the various civil wars in the Middle East and Africa countries have upon the price and availability of oil worldwide? If the NDP had that much power Canada would be a very different nation which takes the welfare of the average Canadian and small business owner into account rather than serving the agendae of the corporations. NDP does set the price or availability of oil. Do we not have our own resources which we are forced to export? Such self-serving stupidity.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

He warned that there would be a gas hike if the NDP were elected.

He never said there wouldn't be one if they weren't elected.

It's all in the fine print. ;)

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
---------------------------------

Are you unaware of the complicated effects the various civil wars in the Middle East and Africa countries have upon the price and availability of oil worldwide? If the NDP had that much power Canada would be a very different nation which takes the welfare of the average Canadian and small business owner into account rather than serving the agendae of the corporations. NDP does set the price or availability of oil. Do we not have our own resources which we are forced to export? Such self-serving stupidity.

Oops, i meant to say the NDP does NOT set the price nor the availability of oil.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
PoliticalNick is right on this one. The whole thing is artificial pricing and the
speculators are having a field day. The time has come not to regulate the
price of oil but the speculators. Perhaps we should have a regulating body
that would control the price in North America. The companies could only
apply twice a year for a raise and it could not be more that four cents at a
time, and it could not exceed a specific level within a five year period.
Would this be fair and equitable? Perhaps not but then things are not very
fair or ethical now either. The other good thing is the governments could
say they are not regulating oil, just placing regulations on speculators in the
public interest. It might take the curse off the whole thing.
As for the NDP causing the oil price to rise, anyone who believes that will
believe anything, and they would have to have a brain more scattered than
that of Sarah Palin.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No no, its not Jacko's fault, its Harpo's. No wait, its because Lybian oil is off the market. No wait, its because the price of crude is up...or down...or something like that. No, wrong its because of flooding in the Mississippi.....

I wish the news would just for once give a truthful answer.

The reason gas is up again, $1.395 in parts of Ont this morning, is because of the futures market! Whenever profit seems to be dropping the oils corps buy heavily into oil futures, this drives the price up. The futures market is one of those things that allows prices to be artificially inflated and controlled. It is just as bad for the economy and the average person as the derivative market. These 2 segments of the markets are the worst thing governments have ever allowed and really should be ended.

Exactly. That's what drives food prices, coffee prices, gas prices, coal prices, hog prices, steel prices, foreign exchange, etc etc etc.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sometime interesting....

Canada is the only major industrial nation in the world to not have any of it's oil for set aside for strategic reserves. We have ZERO in our names.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sometime interesting....

Canada is the only major industrial nation in the world to not have any of it's oil for set aside for strategic reserves. We have ZERO in our names.

You are dead on with this, petros. I heard this on a program the other day and immediately thought - huh? what's with this. Why don't we have reserves set aside for emergency purposes? I think it is something that our new government better start talking about. Every province should have a reserve set aside for emergencies, don't you think?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I heard this on a program the other day and immediately thought - huh? what's with this. Why don't we have reserves set aside for emergency purposes? I think it is something that our new government better start talking about. Every province should have a reserve set aside for emergencies, don't you think?

We really don't need any reserves set aside for any emergencies.
We are a country that is very large and we have tankage all across the country which is being used continuously for regular operational purposes. There is always more than enough for any emergency you could ever conger up.

Besides, what would store, gasoline, deseil, jet fuel etc etc and how much, where, how do you protect it etc etc ... Too many problems, never ever had a reason and can't think of one either.