NDP calls on ethics boss to investigate Raitt

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't care what anyone says, I smell conflict of interest.

Although a $550 upgrade is really bad bribe, at the very least, someone should have used their head and said, "No thanks".

Does not seem to be any evidence that she accepted a free upgrade. Or is there?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-laytons-funeral/article2203285/?from=sec3683

The revelation comes as the opposition accuses Labour Minister Lisa Raitt of conflict of interest. The Ethics Commissioner has been asked to investigate an allegation she accepted a free seat upgrade from a senior Air Canada official while in the midst of stick-handling the dispute between the airline and its 6,800 flight attendants.

Last week, NDP labour critic Yvon Godin sent a letter to Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson asking her to investigate the allegation. “Electronic flight records show that the Raitt [sic], and her Chief of Staff Douglas Smith, were given complimentary upgrades to business class, approved personally by Duncan Dee, Air Canada’s Chief Operating Officer,” he wrote.

In his letter, Mr. Godin notes the upgrade was allegedly granted on Sept. 25 –“just days after threatening Air Canada employees with back-to-work legislation.” However, Ms. Raitt has denied taking the upgrade to sit in business class.

She told The Globe she used her own points for the upgrade, worth about $550. “I am confused by this one,” she said. “I don’t know what this one is about. I also read that I am on vacation in Hawaii, which I am not.”

Ms. Raitt was in San Francisco meeting with the longshoremen’s union; the House was not sitting last week because of the Thanksgiving break.

Air Canada has also denied giving her an upgrade. In addition, the airline has said that it did not hear from anyone in the Minister’s office requesting one.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Does not seem to be any evidence that she accepted a free upgrade. Or is there?
There is apparently a confirmation, according to CityNEWS.

But there may be some confusion.

Seems Raitt travels frequently, and gathers credit that she can use to upgrade.

She claims she used her own upgrade credit.

NDP accepted Air Canada upgrades for Layton’s funeral - The Globe and Mail

The revelation comes as the opposition accuses Labour Minister Lisa Raitt of conflict of interest. The Ethics Commissioner has been asked to investigate an allegation she accepted a free seat upgrade from a senior Air Canada official while in the midst of stick-handling the dispute between the airline and its 6,800 flight attendants.

Last week, NDP labour critic Yvon Godin sent a letter to Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson asking her to investigate the allegation. “Electronic flight records show that the Raitt [sic], and her Chief of Staff Douglas Smith, were given complimentary upgrades to business class, approved personally by Duncan Dee, Air Canada’s Chief Operating Officer,” he wrote.

In his letter, Mr. Godin notes the upgrade was allegedly granted on Sept. 25 –“just days after threatening Air Canada employees with back-to-work legislation.” However, Ms. Raitt has denied taking the upgrade to sit in business class.

She told The Globe she used her own points for the upgrade, worth about $550. “I am confused by this one,” she said. “I don’t know what this one is about. I also read that I am on vacation in Hawaii, which I am not.”

Ms. Raitt was in San Francisco meeting with the longshoremen’s union; the House was not sitting last week because of the Thanksgiving break.

Air Canada has also denied giving her an upgrade. In addition, the airline has said that it did not hear from anyone in the Minister’s office requesting one.
Seems the facts prove she did nothing wrong.

She's innocent.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
T

She's innocent.
What is so ridiculous about this entire episode is how puny and childish the NDP are being, especially in light of the fact that Smilin' Jack had no problem living in subsidized housing while he and wifey were each receiving living allowances.

What's next for the Dippers? Gonna have spies out to record the time that a Harperite gets a free refill on their coffee? Maybe a third piece of bacon with their Lumberjack Slam?

What idiots... It is impossible to take these fools seriously

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There is apparently a confirmation, according to CityNEWS.

But there may be some confusion.

Seems Raitt travels frequently, and gathers credit that she can use to upgrade.

She claims she used her own upgrade credit.

She's innocent.

I read that article today at work - had to hunt for it. So she was also accused of something else but was in Hawaii at the time - Now the NDP members that accepted the upgrades offered by AC to the family - Smells bad in my opinion.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What is so ridiculous about this entire episode is how puny and childish the NDP are being, especially in light of the fact that Smilin' Jack had no problem living in subsidized housing while he and wifey were each receiving living allowances.
He was also one of the all time highest users of city limo services. While claiming he road his bike to city hall all the time.

It's politics,k that what politicians do.

There plan seems to be point out how bad Harperites are, and hope no one notices that's all they have.

What idiots... It is impossible to take these fools seriously
Hey, I'm no fan of the NDP, but until Goob's posted that, I was under the impression that she had accepted a free upgrade, provided by the COO of an airline that was about to face a strike.

Now, a $550 bribe is trivial, but with the facts available, it would have been a conflict of interest.

I read that article today at work - had to hunt for it.
Last I read, was the article from CityNews. Thanks for bring me up to speed.

Now the NDP members that accepted the upgrades offered by AC to the family - Smells bad in my opinion.
Not really, entirely different circumstances Goob's.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He was also one of the all time highest users of city limo services. While claiming he road his bike to city hall all the time.

Not really, entirely different circumstances Goob's.

The family was offered they turned them down - Others then used them. To me it smells - Not the family - they did what they believed was right. The others, well

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The family was offered they turned them down - Others then used them. To me it smells - Not the family - they did what they believed was right. The others, well

Politicking is all it is. Listen, if I were Lisa Raitt and I was going to do bad on the part of AC they better be ponying up a bit more that a seat upgrade. If the NDP wants to be taken seriously they better lose the Svend Robinson mentality and start acting the the official opposition.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

There plan seems to be point out how bad Harperites are, and hope no one notices that's all they have.

All politicians, regardless of stripe, are guilty in one way or another. I brought up Layton simply because it was his party reps that were making statements that are hypocritical (in my mind).

Regardless, the actual 'conflict of interest' issue is still so trivial in the grand scheme of things, it really makes me wonder what the NDP have to offer Canadians if this is what they consider to be an issue worthy of the press' attention, let alone spending money on an investigation.... Talk about stepping over a $20 bill to retrieve a nickle.

Hey, I'm no fan of the NDP, but until Goob's posted that, I was under the impression that she had accepted a free upgrade, provided by the COO of an airline that was about to face a strike.

Now, a $550 bribe is trivial, but with the facts available, it would have been a conflict of interest.

I see your point, especially in light of the pending strike.

Politicking is all it is. Listen, if I were Lisa Raitt and I was going to do bad on the part of AC they better be ponying up a bit more that a seat upgrade. If the NDP wants to be taken seriously they better lose the Svend Robinson mentality and start acting the the official opposition.

Great perspective! Kinda makes you wonder about the overall value of Canadian politicians in general... Being able to be bought-off for a lousy $600.

Was Svend the guy that lifted a piece of jewelery and claimed mental stress or some such thing?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Great perspective! Kinda makes you wonder about the overall value of Canadian politicians in general... Being able to be bought-off for a lousy $600.

Was Svend the guy that lifted a piece of jewelery and claimed mental stress or some such thing?

He was. I remember when he caused crap in China, then caused crap in Palestine, and caused crap at a G8 sumnmit. He was quite the drama queen, no homophobic pun intended. When he stole that ring it was fun watching what was left of his political career thunder in.

The NDP needs, scratch that, the opposition as a whole better get its stuff together or Canada will see many more conservative majorities.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
No doubt. Harper and crew must be pleased as hell that the opposition is making such a poor show of their opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if Harper takes a page from Chretien in orchestrating some strategic events and then calls a snap election 12 or 18 months before the due date.

I'm no fan of the NDP, but I would like to see some kind of effective opposition party in place, however, if this particular episode is any kind of indication of things to come, I think that the NDP will suffer severely in and outside of Quebec.

That'll leave the Green party and the Rhino's.... Go Rhino's!

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
No doubt. Harper and crew must be pleased as hell that the opposition is making such a poor show of their opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised if Harper takes a page from Chretien in orchestrating some strategic events and then calls a snap election 12 or 18 months before the due date.

I'm no fan of the NDP, but I would like to see some kind of effective opposition party in place, however, if this particular episode is any kind of indication of things to come, I think that the NDP will suffer severely in and outside of Quebec.

That'll leave the Green party and the Rhino's.... Go Rhino's!

It's not good having any party completely untethered. The NDp won't see a second term as opposition if they don't mature.