NDP already being annoying in new Parliament

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Trudeau said (exactly) what he said. No amount of clarifications and explanations will change that.

Accept these facts and move on, there is no amount of post-comment rhetoric that will change the official record

Well, whatever the "official record" from 2014 shows, the fact of the matter is that the current and official position of the Liberals is that all party members are welcome to have anti-choice views and to express anti-choice sentiments, but votes relating to the Charter are not free votes.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The Dippers are doing what they believe is in the best interests of their constituents. Certainly a stab in the heart of the true believers that feel that JT is infallible.

Mind you, I do get a kick out of the comment of Trudeau's exceptional accountability, if memory serves, didn't he state that MPs could vote their conscious on the abortion issue provided that the Lib Party would never accept a pro-life candidate?

That said, spare me the holier-than-thou nonsense

That's the thing with the holier-than-thou argument. You always fall short of it yourself at one pointe or a other.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Well, whatever the "official record" from 2014 shows, the fact of the matter is that the current and official position of the Liberals is that all party members are welcome to have anti-choice views and to express anti-choice sentiments, but votes relating to the Charter are not free votes.

Thanks for the lol.

So the general low-down is that the Liberal Party MPs can vote their conscious, provided that they hold the same conscious of Der Leader.

Normally, that is the political ideology that one would expect from North Korea, not Canada, but hey, Sunny Days, right?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Isn't that basically the job description for the bronze-medal party?

That is generally the expected function of such, but JT is taking a page from Chretin's playbook on the issue... The difference I see this go-around is that the base issue (abortion) is such a hot button that I am surprised that he would wade into the fray so willingly.

... Be interesting to see if it comes back to bite him in the backside

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That is generally the expected function of such, but JT is taking a page from Chretin's playbook on the issue... The difference I see this go-around is that the base issue (abortion) is such a hot button that I am surprised that he would wade into the fray so willingly.

Amusing, too.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Could you explain to me how voting to accept the idea that life begins at conception is "anti-choice"? Do you also feel that the U.S. giving black people the same rights as others was somehow "anti-choice"?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Is that willingly or unwittingly?

Therein lies the debate. Obviously you and Gerry disagree.

There is no debate. It is obvious life begins at birth. Life beginning at conception is more like religion. No proof is required, just belief.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Opposition for the sake of opposition has become a hallmark of Canadian governments. Dysfunction gets us nowhere ... and majorities get us dictatorships. Isn't it time to learn co-operation and playing well in the sandbox again?

I t would be irresponsible of the opposition parties to 'play nice' and go along with most of the Liberal's hair-brained schemes. The Liberals are intent on changing things just for the sake of changing with never a thought to whether they really NEED changing or not.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I t would be irresponsible of the opposition parties to 'play nice' and go along with most of the Liberal's hair-brained schemes. The Liberals are intent on changing things just for the sake of changing with never a thought to whether they really NEED changing or not.
Why would you assume I am accusing one specific gang of schoolyard politics?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So, the baby is dead before it is born?
Ask your leader I am sure he can explain . I am equally sure he can explain why he can accept Holy Communion well refusing his elected members to vote their conscience on this matter .