NASA: We will find aliens within 20 years

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
They'd have to have a major hard-on for the old ultraviolence to cross light-years of space just to smack us.

On the other hand, considering we broadcast "Mr. Ed" to the universe, we probably deserve it.
On the other hand, maybe we don't taste all that great

Did what? Broadcast "Mr. Ed?" Yep, to our eternal shame, that's on us.
Then we followed up with My Little Pony.... Is any species that full of horse shyte really worth the effort?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
On the other hand, maybe we don't taste all that great

Then we followed up with My Little Pony.... Is any species that full of horse shyte really worth the effort?

Great! they're going to come and farm us. That'll teach us...giant alien karmic retribution.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
British scientist Professor Stephen Hawking, the Director of Research at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology within the University of Cambridge and perhaps the greatest scientist in the world today, has warned about making contact with aliens, calling it dangerous:

Stephen Hawking warns over making contact with aliens

Prof Hawking recently came up with a formula for England to win the World Cup (which was either ignored or the lads couldn't fathom it out)

Aliens almost certainly exist but humans should avoid making contact, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.

In a series for the Discovery Channel the renowned astrophysicist said it was "perfectly rational" to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere.

But he warned that aliens might simply raid Earth for resources, then move on.

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," he said.

Prof Hawking thinks that, rather than actively trying to communicate with extra-terrestrials, humans should do everything possible to avoid contact.

He explained: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."

In the past, probes have been sent into space with engravings of human beings on board and diagrams showing the location of our planet.

Radio beams have been fired into space in the hope of reaching alien civilisations.

Prof Hawking said: "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.

"The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

The programme envisages numerous alien species including two-legged herbivores and yellow, lizard-like predators.

But Prof Hawking conceded most life elsewhere in the universe is likely to consist of simple microbes.

In the recent BBC series Wonders of the Solar System, Professor Brian Cox, a physicist from the University of Manchester, also suggested life may exist elsewhere within our solar system.

He said organisms could be present under the ice sheet that envelops Europa, one of Jupiter's moons.

Professor Cox added: "Closer to home, the evidence that life could exist on Mars is growing.

"We will only know for sure when the next generation of spacecraft, fine-tuned to search for life, are launched to the moons of Jupiter and the arid plains of Mars in the coming decades."

BBC News - Stephen Hawking warns over making contact with aliens

Last edited:

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Or they can wipe us out.

Who says an advanced intelligent life has to be peaceful.
ahh the workings of a military mind.
If that was their intention and they would have enslaved us long ago...

one sec , i'm not up on Scientology but isn't that exactly what they claim?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well you would hope that when we find them, they can teach us as a species to get along.

If they have the ability to get here I doubt they'd come to do us a favour. More advanced civilizations tend to take advantage of the lesser ones if our example is anything to go by.

Why's that? At just over 4½ billion years old, Earth's just a young 'un in the universe

Not too young. Thats about 1/3 of the age of the universe. When you look at it like that it isn't really young or old.

Its possible something will be found in the next 20 years but I doubt it will happen in that time frame.

I prefer the orion slave girls. ;) :p

I thought it was an interesting twist when it was revealed they were the ones in charge. I guess in a way thats a smart way to do it. Your enemies will attack your underlings rather than you.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Prof Hawking recently came up with a formula for England to win the World Cup (which was either ignored or the lads couldn't fathom it out)

You probably had to divide by 0 or go to an alternate universe where all the other nations were wiped out by alien attack to make that happen.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
ahh the workings of a military mind.
If that was their intention and they would have enslaved us long ago...

Not necessarily. You can want to do something and just not be able to do it. Inter-stellar travel looks pretty hard to do in a reasonable timeframe. Its possible that they can see us and just can't get here yet. Or perhaps they have seen us and have absolutely no interest in us. They could be ignoring our calls. It is a bit ego centric to think that if there is intelligent life out there that they would want to visit or talk to us.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Not necessarily. You can want to do something and just not be able to do it. Inter-stellar travel looks pretty hard to do in a reasonable timeframe. Its possible that they can see us and just can't get here yet. Or perhaps they have seen us and have absolutely no interest in us. They could be ignoring our calls. It is a bit ego centric to think that if there is intelligent life out there that they would want to visit or talk to us.

NASA is working on a Warp Drive.

NASA - Status of "Warp Drive"

Gene Roddenberry had a time machine....

So...maybe they have come but realize we are so behind technologically that any interaction with us would change our path and we're clearly not ready for it....

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
NASA is working on a Warp Drive.

NASA - Status of "Warp Drive"

Gene Roddenberry had a time machine....

So...maybe they have come but realize we are so behind technologically that any interaction with us would change our path and we're clearly not ready for it....

In theory both warp drive and time travel are possible but putting them into practice is another thing altogether. Hell, just using a warp drive would in a way cause you to 'time travel.' You may return to find hundreds or thousands of years have gone by when it seemed like a much shorter trip for you. That can be a bit of a problem.

Never much cared for that "prime directive" stuff. I always found it to be rather condescending or patronizing to acknowledge the intelligence of a species then say "but you're not 'ready' for us." I preferred Kirk's method of making it up as you go. If you see a problem, fix it. What gave him the right to? No one, but no one was stopping him either. The philosophers can debate that stuff for the rest of eternity.