Narcisse

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
This Sunday we're going out to Narcisse to look at the snakes. It's actually like a huge snake orgy out there. They wake up and crawl out of their hole and the first thing they do is mate. After that they wander off to spend the summer doing snake things.

8)

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I don't think so rev 8O Snakes give me the creeps!!!! Yes I know they are good for the garden, thats why I let them live when I encounter them in the garden. I know its wrong to vilify the poor snake, but its ingrained, I work on it. Perhaps it has something to do with seeing my mother and her 4 brothers all scramble for the same high point, blood curdling screams and shrinks 8O upon encountering the garter snake. 8O

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Perhaps it has something to do with seeing my mother and her 4 brothers all scramble for the same high point, blood curdling screams and shrinks Shocked upon encountering the garter snake.

lmao. I can see it for poisonous snakes. but garters? Our siamese use to bring them into the house as gifts.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
There was a mini snake pit on the farm. They used to come into the house to eat the mice. That's something I could have done without. Of course I could have done without the mice too....

I've never had a fear of snakes though. We have no poisonous ones around here, so they are really just another form of pest control.

There's a guy in town here who has a couple of Boas. he brings them to the bar sometimes. Those are even cooler than garter snakes.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Narcisse

Reverend Blair said:
There's a guy in town here who has a couple of Boas. he brings them to the bar sometimes. Those are even cooler than garter snakes.

Years ago I had the chance to get up close and personal with a large Boa. It was in a pet store in Vancouver, and having that snake wrapped around me was an amazing experience. The trick is to be relaxed; a Boa will constrict if you're tense, relax if you're relaxed. An octopus is the same way. Snakes have never bothered me, either. I wouldn't have one for a pet, but I like 'em.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
i would love to see that rev. snakes hold a special place in my heart. while hiking in the desert, i have had rattlers jump up and greet me, have laid back on rocks in the grand canyon and had a whole 'orgy' of bull snakes come out and sun with me. they were amazing, about 12' long and maybe 4" at the thickest. i guess i had disturbed their home.

they love me for some reason, don't know why, and i am eternally grateful to be able to enjoy them without being squeamish. had rattlers actually wrap their body around my ankle once, that was weird...they are wonderful creatures.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
galianomama said:
i would love to see that rev. snakes hold a special place in my heart. while hiking in the desert, i have had rattlers jump up and greet me, have laid back on rocks in the grand canyon and had a whole 'orgy' of bull snakes come out and sun with me. they were amazing, about 12' long and maybe 4" at the thickest. i guess i had disturbed their home.

they love me for some reason, don't know why, and i am eternally grateful to be able to enjoy them without being squeamish. had rattlers actually wrap their body around my ankle once, that was weird...they are wonderful creatures.

That is 'way cool, Galianomama. Kind of like the bear guy who would go fishing with bears, once the mama bear even left him to 'babysit' her cubs. Some people just have that certain ability with animals, obviously you are one of them.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
No, twila it was garter snakes 8O I have asked my mother about the orgins ophiciophobia :p It was passed down from their mother, based on religious myth. But to even see this once as a young child, let alone many times, 8O it leaves an impression on you that is hard to shake.
So now when it comes to snakes I have two opposite thoughts at the same time when I encounter them. Fear and sense :p sense wins out now, but I still get the fear. Actually, it is a lesson on how easy it is to vilify something. :wink:

side note: Ever notice how you can learn something new around here just about every day. Now I know the name of the phobia for the fear of snakes :p

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
yeah, it is pretty neat. the thing i love about the snakes is, this whole 'relationship' started when my life turned. even the guides couldn't believe the snakes i attracted!

hey pea - member the guy with the koi?

this moron up island tried to scare us with garter snakes that would go into the koi pond....thrust them into our faces and then throw them into the woods. what an idiot. anyways, we just looked right back at him and wanted to rip his head off. god, he was weird. these garter snakes loved the warm water, the tall reeds, etc.

i know he will get his. :twisted: i put a spell on the snakes.....

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
peapod said:
No, twila it was garter snakes 8O I have asked my mother about the orgins ophiciophobia :p It was passed down from their mother, based on religious myth. But to even see this once as a young child, let alone many times, 8O it leaves an impression on you that is hard to shake.
So now when it comes to snakes I have two opposite thoughts at the same time when I encounter them. Fear and sense :p sense wins out now, but I still get the fear. Actually, it is a lesson on how easy it is to vilify something. :wink:

side note: Ever notice how you can learn something new around here just about every day. Now I know the name of the phobia for the fear of snakes :p

Cool. You have one smart 'Mom' P. A link: What's your fear

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Reverend Blair said:
This Sunday we're going out to Narcisse to look at the snakes. It's actually like a huge snake orgy out there. They wake up and crawl out of their hole and the first thing they do is mate. After that they wander off to spend the summer doing snake things.

8)

Yeah...I took the kids out there a few years back...a bit of a walk through mosquito-land to get there...but it shouldn't be that bad there right now...

Still, it was worth it, and somewhat nostalgic, as I had a great time catching the little buggers in the ditches when I was a kid... 8)

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
come on! that is down right creepy :p going to visit a snake pit. Now I just saw a little family of quails, just dashed through my garden....now thats cute 8). Another bad memory I have of snakes, is when we were on a field trip through the enchanted forest in grade 4, we happenstanced upon a garter snake, who had a frog in his mouth. He was sallowing him. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! we debated if we should try and rescue the frog, most distrubing to watch, yet are eyes followed the whole ugly business. The frog went down like a real canadian frog, not even a small croak, or rib-it. :p

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
It's a good thing you didn't try to save the frog, Pea...it would have irrevocably upset the balance of nature, and such a delicate balance it is, that it would have undoubtedly shifted the entire ecosystems in favour of the frogs, and once they were done with the snakes, guess what?? We're friggin' next... 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Have you ever seen the movie "Frogs", Vanni? The frogs get a little tired of having their legs chopped off and stage a bit of a rebellion. Pretty creepy in places.