Nanny State gone Mad!!! Gun drawing causes arrest....

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
As a general rule, replicas made out of clear plastic and those that are a lot smaller than the real firearm are not prohibited replicas. Those that are brightly coloured might be prohibited, depending on other features. Also accurate replicas of antique firearms are legal.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
My point about the complaint being about a black man in the Jane and Finch area is that who and where the person lives makes no difference. The police must react the same way. They can't make assumptions based on race and neighborhood.

It is because idiots make the rules. In reality, the police should act differently when investigating a complaint in the Jane-Finch area as opposed to more affluent locales, unless of course they are as brain dead as the Waterloo force. It is not a matter of lettting your guard down, it is a reflection of reality. This is why Israeli airport security is so much more efficient than what we have; they are allowed to use profiling based on traits our useful idiots abhor. When I made deliveries to places on Scarlett Rd., Dixington, Jane-Eglinton, Widdicome, I took extra precautions that I wouldn't elseware. (And I won't say what those were)

A police officer gets a report of a 4 year old child playing with a hand gun by the neighbor's 4 year old kid.

Should they:

a) enter the house without a search warrant

b) take a number at the court house and after a few hours, they get their warrant to search the house

c) do nothing, reports of 4 year olds playing with handguns by other children shouldn't be taken seriously

Easy checklist for an idiot to follow, We have thrown reasonability out the window in favour of "what if's", If the educators, child welfare workers and police are all to operate as automatons we night as well just build robots to replace them, because that is what we expect of them and that is what they have become.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sorry.... I've dealt with Children's Services. They tend to go off half-cocked on folk who seem least likely to sue - folk who haven't been involved - but take the time to carefully investigate and be sure their ducks are all in a neat row in serious matters.

Maybe the teacher should have asked some questions before her alarm went haywire

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sorry.... I've dealt with Children's Services. They tend to go off half-cocked on folk who seem least likely to sue - folk who haven't been involved - but take the time to carefully investigate and be sure their ducks are all in a neat row in serious matters.
So have I, your assessment is bang on, from my experiences as well.

Given examples of them falling short on their duties, they have become even more intrusive and irrational, in recent years.

Maybe the teacher should have asked some questions before her alarm went haywire
From what I gather, she did ask questions. They were likely very uninformed and uneducated questions. Thus leading to an erroneous conclusion.

Don't mistake my position as defending the over all actions here. They were well out side what should be considered appropriate.

But like I said, I can fully understand why they reacted in such a way. Self preservation. Given the fall out they would face, if they did not react, they chose to err (Albeit, overboard) on the side of caution.

That's what happens when the squeaky public loses their collective sh!t, when firearms are involved.

Somewhere in all this madness, there is a happy medium.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So if I understand the source of your ridicule, if a little girl told you that she plays with her Daddy's gun, you would do nothing because 4 year olds claims about playing with handguns shouldn't be taken seriously.

Would anyone else react differently? How would you expect the police to react?
First off, the kid drew the gun and had said her dad shoots monsters with it. That would indicate to any kid, let alone reasoning adult, that the dad plays video games. Secondly, clarifying things with the kid before leaping to stupid assumptions would be the rational thing to do. Thirdly, cops could also have verified things with the kid. There's more but that should be enough.
All in all, this is a kneejerk reaction from some pretty stupid people.

Yes 'ifs', because we used our judgment based on 'ifs', daily.
And apparently ifs are overly frequent in forum discussions, too.

I agree. But if .....

My point was, that is anything did happen, people would be looking for peoples heads.
I got that. But people also tend to kneejerk a lot before thinking.

I agree with both thoughts, completely.
Fixed that for you. :D

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I'm still completely shocked by this whole thing.

First the whole reaction to an image of a gun for hunting monsters in a 4 year old's crayon should only be interpreted as make believe or part of a game. Any sane person with an IQ slightly larger than a shoebox would or should understand that.

Second it is a complete overreaction and in my opinion a false arrest of the father and unlawful detainment of the mother and I really hope they sue the a** of all involved.

Third, as far as I know there is still nothing in the Consolidated Constitution Acts that says we citizens cannot own firearms. In fact the only ones that tell us we can't are those that want to maintain power and control of us.

Finally.....WTF??? These teachers and administrators co-parent our children??? I wouldn't let most of them co-parent a goldfish and while others may be okay with that attitude I for one say an emphatic NO!! Their mother and I are my children's parents and only us. If anyone wants to dispute that there will be a huge problem in their lives.

This has just reached the height of ridiculousness as the 'nanny state' and 'big brother' try to take over our lives completely.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The idiocy just boggles the mind! I guess when I drew an alien when I was little, that meant that my parents weren't from around here! I'm surprised that we didn't end up in Area 51!:roll:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
C'mon guys, do you really believe that a drawing of a gun alone cause the police reaction? I'm critical of the police reaction too, but I don't believe that a drawing alone caused the police to believe the father illegally possessed an illegally stored hand gun. That said, I don't think the police asked enough questions first before handcuffing the father and strip searching him.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
C'mon guys, do you really believe that a drawing of a gun alone cause the police reaction? I'm critical of the police reaction too, but I don't believe that a drawing alone caused the police to believe the father illegally possessed an illegally stored hand gun. That said, I don't think the police asked enough questions first before handcuffing the father and strip searching him.

Well if it wasn't the drawing of the gun, it was the subsequent discussions with a 4 yr old (and I am curious how the law comes in on talking to a child in these circumstances without permission of a parent, because I sure as hell would not trust a teacher to act as a guardian in any legal circumstance unless I knew them VERY well).

This episode shows how systemically f***ed up things are in Ontario (and possibly other provinces):
- the teacher blew it in her overreaction
- the principal blew it in not getting more facts and intervening
- social services blew it, with the way they handled it
- the cops blew it, not only in jumping the gun on the arrest and strip search, but there are allegations they did not even tell him what the prospective charges were... which would be a blatant violation of his rights under Canadian criminal law.

Now some of the mistakes are forgivable on their own, some are not and the way the situation snowballed without someone stepping back and doing a critical assessment of exactly what they were looking at, shows a system that was a SNAFU waiting to happen... and that falls on McGuinty's gov't.

Now Mr Sansone deserves to a substantial settlement (including an apology) from the Ont. gov't.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Imagine. Harper is handing over more money to the RCMP. Great!. We are all doomed.