N.Y. cop not indicted in choke hold death

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Eric Garner was an alleged criminal, allegedly selling cigarettes without a lobbyist in Washington. Cigarettes kill, therefore Eric Garner was attempting murder. Therefore the police were perfectly justified in using a technique their own department forbids on him.

He was clearly a terrorist, and he deserved to die.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Eric Garner was an alleged criminal, allegedly selling cigarettes without a lobbyist in Washington. Cigarettes kill, therefore Eric Garner was attempting murder. Therefore the police were perfectly justified in using a technique their own department forbids on him.

He was clearly a terrorist, and he deserved to die.

It's worse than that. Eric Garner was attempting to avoid taxes on smokes.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Although i agreed that the case against Darren Wilson in Ferguson did not support a charge.. i thought there was a much stronger case for an indictment of Involuntary Manslaughter.. or more appropriately Aggravated Assault against Ofc. Daniel Pantaleo for his use of a choke hold that is clearly forbidden under NYPD protocols.

The police then, when faced with man who was clearly in distress did NOTHING.. no cpr, no aid.. nothing.. and let him go into cardiac arrets. That was pathetic and incompetent.

The whole video clip highlights a culture that has descended on many U.S. Police Forces.. and unfortunately some in Canada. In this case an unarmed, non-violent suspect of a minor offense.. selling cigarettes without a tax stamp.. is surrounded by a police.

Like a pack of wolves they threaten, confuse, enrage and humiliate.. knowing this will inflame the situation.. and then pounce in a co-ordinated attack. When something goes askew, like this, police seem incapable of reacting having completely dehumanized the suspect into prey of a big game hunt.

The reason you had this type police presence for such a minor infraction is the NYPD Policy of massive and overwhelming focus against visible minor crime on the argument that this will somehow disrupt major criminal activity from taking root.

The real reason is a matter of bookkeeping. The small crimes start to disappear from the courts, letting the Police Department trumpet major decrease in all crime.. when in reality it has just moved off the streets into more secure locations.

All of the Officers and Paramedics who attended this situation deserve to be severely disciplined for failing to render aid. Panteleo should be charged and fired. And frankly, like Ferguson, this reflects systemic, philosophical problems in the NYPD that go directly up to the Commissioner's office.

I would not be surprised if the Federal government moves in this case to charge Pantaleo with Denial of Civil Rights. I think they have to do something and the District Attorney Offices are just too closely alligned with Police to objectively prosecute.

It might only apply to quarter of police officers.. and the ringleaders are only a small percentage of that... but you have to get the thugs, punks and bullies out of police departments.

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Good

New York (CNN) -- A grand jury in New York on Wednesday decided not to indict white police officer Daniel Pantaleo in the July choke hold death of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man, according to two law enforcement officials.

During the fatal encounter July 17 Garner raised both hands in the air and told the officers not to touch him. Seconds later, a video shows an officer behind Garner grab him in a choke hold and pull him to the sidewalk, rolling him onto his stomach.

"I can't breathe! I can't breathe!" Garner said repeatedly, his cries muffled into the pavement.

The cause of Garner's death was "compression of neck (choke hold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police," the medical examiner's office has said. The death was ruled a homicide.

The New York City Police Department prohibits choke holds.

Garner, 43, was pronounced dead that day. Police had suspected Garner of selling cigarettes illegally.
The death led to demonstrations around the city and came weeks before the racially charged police shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

more

N.Y. cop not indicted in choke hold death - CNN.com

*correction, he was a 'strangler'. that's right, a 'strangler'.

sorry. :lol:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Should be interesting to see if anything comes from this. Besides further distrust of law enforcement.

I wonder how anyone could expect another person to submit when they are being strangled/choked and fear loosing their ability to breath.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
OK you run up on an individual.. 1. to intimidate and threaten, show of power..

2. A fella is standing there with a gun in his hand.. could be pointing down.. the minute he starts to raise his gun you shoot..

Please supply link to video you watched..

Unless you are just repeating others statements and you really never watched the video..

"A contentious fact does not become uncontentious by virtue of repetition."

Here ya go.
You No 1 reason is wrong.
Watch the video and tell me the Officer had time to speak.
But for video: Tamir Rice edition - The Washington Post

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Is President Obama's body camera idea going to solve this problem? It might have improved some of the questions around Michael Brown's murder. But could there have been any evidence good enough to indict Darren Wilson? Apparently clear and definitive video of a police officer murdering a non-threatening man in cold blood wasn't enough. The solution isn't cameras is it? The entire justice system in the United States is broken.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Is President Obama's body camera idea going to solve this problem? It might have improved some of the questions around Michael Brown's murder. But could there have been any evidence good enough to indict Darren Wilson? Apparently clear and definitive video of a police officer murdering a non-threatening man in cold blood wasn't enough. The solution isn't cameras is it? The entire justice system in the United States is broken.

The cameras would have immediatly cleared Darren Wilson and prevented Michael Brown from being elivated to some sort of choir boy hero.

I have no explaination in this case why the NYPD cops got off. In this case, it does indicate sever flaws in the justice system.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Non-threatening?... Really?

Are you under the impression that Mikey Brown was 'helping up' the store clerk (repeatedly) who was so clumsy and falling all over the place?

Ran to Wilson's assistance to apply first aid for a crushed eye socket that Wilson accidentally did to himself whilst putting on his sun glasses too fast?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Non-threatening?... Really?

Are you under the impression that Mikey Brown was 'helping up' the store clerk (repeatedly) who was so clumsy and falling all over the place?

Ran to Wilson's assistance to apply first aid for a crushed eye socket that Wilson accidentally did to himself whilst putting on his sun glasses too fast?

I was referring to Eric Garner when I said non-threatening. I admit it doesn't come off clearly, except for my reference to the video evidence.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
buckaroo rogue cop aside, bad decisions beget worse decisions...just like ol' mikey, the drunk teen girl running over the cop and the little kid...if buddy hadda gone peaceful-like, we wouldn't even be talkin' about him unless maybe he sued the city into bankruptcy and his fanboyz could cheer with glee.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Imagine if he tried to light that smoke, destroying evidence, interfering with a Police investigation, why perhaps the officer had a deep seated fear of being incinerated by the lighter.
Lucky he did not have a Stapler- Oh yeah, only in Canada.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
the idiot still could have sued NYPD I imagine...what's to lose man? take a goddamn ride 'downtown' again.

oh right. sorry.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
12 years old. Some are expecting a 12 year old to act like an adult. Yet, he wasn't old enough to enlist, drive, drink, or smoke. He wasn't even a teenager. He was 12 years old. A child.

If we find this ok, will shooting 5 year olds who happen to have water guns be ok too?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
12 years old. Some are expecting a 12 year old to act like an adult. Yet, he wasn't old enough to enlist, drive, drink, or smoke. He wasn't even a teenager. He was 12 years old. A child.

If we find this ok, will shooting 5 year olds who happen to have water guns be ok too?

You're referring to Tamir Rice, the twelve year old murder by police in Cleveland. This thread is about Eric Garner, an adult murdered by police in New York. It's hard to keep track of all the people the police are getting away with murdering.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Imagine if he tried to light that smoke, destroying evidence, interfering with a Police investigation, why perhaps the officer had a deep seated fear of being incinerated by the lighter.
Lucky he did not have a Stapler- Oh yeah, only in Canada.

Wouldn't life be so much better if there weren't any cops at all?.... They NEVER have done anything worthwhile or even the rudimentary elements of their jobs... They are all racist, lazy, corrupt, racist, trigger-happy, donut pounding, racist swine.

Utopia and harmony, that's what the world would be.