N.D.P. drops bitch

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is not about free speech its about being at odds with the fundamental principals
of the NDP. This is not the Provincial Office's problem it is the local constituency who
did not vet the Candidate. There are a series of questions asked by all parties when
a person throws their hat in the ring. How much does the candidate know about the
issues and the parties position on those issues. Is the person suited to be a member
of the house in government or the opposition.
I went to the opening of the campaign office and talked to candidates and asked questions
and frankly, I had some reservations myself.
I go to campaign headquarters and public forums its good to know what people do or do not
know.
The fact is Dix acted immediately after he was filled in on what happened.
I will vote NDP in this election I have all ready said that, but I have an adopted daughter and
three grand kids who are Native, I was offended by her comments. I have a number of family
that have joined our clan through marriage who are French I was offended by the comments.
Lets be clear there is a difference between being critical of a specific situation, but to use the
forum to just make generalities different matter.

You've got me a little confused, you said several times you will be voting N.D.P. but I'm at a loss as to how you can make that decision when you don't know who the candidate will be. Am I being presumptous in thinking this woman was running in your electorate? I vote for the person whose philosophy is closest to mine, if I can determine who that is. The actual parties are all pretty much the same. Get elected, stay elected, get the fat pension along with all other perks possible!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually she is running in the riding south of me. The two constituencies shared the expense
apparently and put their office on the boarder of the two riding's. I know who this woman is, I
know the Liberal Candidates too. Steve Thompson is not a bad person, nor it Norm Letnick in
my riding. They are both Liberals and I refuse to vote for that crowd.
I do not know who the Tory is in her riding, but the one in mine is a neighbor lives quite close
less than a mile. The problem is i don't want John Cumin's anywhere near the House.
The problem is really that the constituency should have asked the right questions or did some
work to find out what this candidate was all about. The title is a bit nasty as well she is not
really a bitch either, just very ill suited to be the Candidate.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What I find interesting is that we only ever get to vote for the lesser of the evils in every GD election. I wonder if that is on purpose. How come nobody with integrity ever runs for office? Are they weeded out from the start? Is a prerequisite to becoming a politician is that you have to be an azzhole, crook or other type of slime ball? And if so, who is really behind all this BS?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is a misconception that all politicians are crooked or even azzholes as you call them.
The problem is we have a democracy. That means we have an open system where anyone
has the right to run. People are human some get elected and they shouldn't because the
real azzholes you and me only half listen to the message of which they speak.
If they were all corrupt we would be living in a nation like Columbia where they are corrupt.
We as a society are frustrated cause no one has the answers to our modern problems.
I think there is a hard lesson for us all "IN some cases there are no answers"
I know a lot of politicians from different parties no less. They all had a grand idea of how
things could change. When they got into office they found out things are not that simple.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There is a misconception that all politicians are crooked or even azzholes as you call them.
The problem is we have a democracy. That means we have an open system where anyone
has the right to run. People are human some get elected and they shouldn't because the
real azzholes you and me only half listen to the message of which they speak.
If they were all corrupt we would be living in a nation like Columbia where they are corrupt.
We as a society are frustrated cause no one has the answers to our modern problems.
I think there is a hard lesson for us all "IN some cases there are no answers"
I know a lot of politicians from different parties no less. They all had a grand idea of how
things could change. When they got into office they found out things are not that simple.
Yes, I agree with much of what you say. I have known a few who were idealistic about making changes but something happens once they get there. They won't talk about it, like they are sworn to secrecy. I've also know some very smart people who had integrity, but they never had a chance to get elected. They ran on policies and issues, their opponents ran on personality and slogans. It is almost as if people do not want anybody of substance running the show.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
How exactly is this a free speech issue? She was free to make her comments, and she did. As always, free speech doesn't mean free of consequence for making your opinions known. Sometimes that means people won't choose to associate with you, and sometimes it means you'll be fired. That's exactly how it should be.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How exactly is this a free speech issue? She was free to make her comments, and she did. As always, free speech doesn't mean free of consequence for making your opinions known. Sometimes that means people won't choose to associate with you, and sometimes it means you'll be fired. That's exactly how it should be.
Basic failure to understand that one's speech is free vis a vis the government. Pretty standard.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Actually she is running in the riding south of me. The two constituencies shared the expense
apparently and put their office on the boarder of the two riding's. I know who this woman is, I
know the Liberal Candidates too. Steve Thompson is not a bad person, nor it Norm Letnick in
my riding. They are both Liberals and I refuse to vote for that crowd.
I do not know who the Tory is in her riding, but the one in mine is a neighbor lives quite close
less than a mile. The problem is i don't want John Cumin's anywhere near the House.
The problem is really that the constituency should have asked the right questions or did some
work to find out what this candidate was all about. The title is a bit nasty as well she is not
really a bitch either, just very ill suited to be the Candidate.

Well maybe "bitch" isn't quite appropriate, but I think it's damn close for anyone who publicly denigrates an ethnic minority and secondly I thought "bitch" might draw a larger readership.-:) Nothing too exciting about "N.D.P. drops woman"-:)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The fact is Dix acted immediately after he was filled in on what happened.
I will vote NDP in this election I have all ready said that, but I have an adopted daughter and
three grand kids who are Native, I was offended by her comments. I have a number of family
that have joined our clan through marriage who are French I was offended by the comments.
Lets be clear there is a difference between being critical of a specific situation, but to use the
forum to just make generalities different matter.

I tend to distrust people who say they are pro "Insert your favorite minority" and give as a reason that they have an extended family member in that category......politicians do that all the time :lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I tend to distrust people who say they are pro "Insert your favorite minority" and give as a reason that they have an extended family member in that category......politicians do that all the time :lol:

Yep, I think you should judge the person, forget about the ethnic group. I don't dislike any ethnic group per se, I do dislike the behaviour that seems to be a trait of some of them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Canada has been eroding Canadians Free Speech for a number of years. On a number of levels actually.

what is this.... you and Bear get knocked on the head too many times by your drill sergeants? Her free speech was not curtailed in any way. She can carry on and run for the mla position as an independent. She can carry on with the stupidity flowing out of her mouth. At no time, and no where has she been prevented from running for MLA because of what she said.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Because a group should not be able to discriminate against an individual, based on their opinion, color, sexual orientation, sex..
So, the Conservative Party shouldn't be able to "discriminate against" a dedicated Marxist? Or a bloodthirsty racist? Or a candidate who promises that he will work to take the vote away from women?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It's a damn good thing they got rid of her in the early going. In Canada we are supposedly past the time of racial discrimination.

B.C. NDP candidate quits over racist remarks on 1st campaign day - British Columbia - CBC News

Why not let her cnstituents handle her. Intelligent people recognize tht individual candidates can have their own ideas which do not necessarily translate to the party line.

good to see the NDP take quick action concerning this situation. Stupid remarks.
Bye bye charlie.

if it was the liberals, they would have found a way to stuff it under the table,
and make excuses for it, and blame someone else.

1. Can you be sure that her past beliefs are her current beliefs?
2. do you not trust her constituents?