My Ice Road Days

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I have a bunch of random footage from my Ice Road days.

Recently I did a series of videos using that footage. The program I use offers licensed music, so I put a soundtrack on the video.
This is sort of a zen thing.
If people dig it, I have a few more.

i would have preferred a tropical trucking video, but thanks. 🚚 ;)

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Seems like Ice road season is getting shorter every year with real concerns this year in NW Ontario. Cement is one of their main priorities and mostly done with super sacks that are a pain to deal with. Most communities lack the infrastructure to deal with it in any other way. Cool weather this week will help but no way they get all that they need.

What they need is the helium filled air ships to become a thing after talking about it for quite some time now. I'm working on it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Seems like Ice road season is getting shorter every year with real concerns this year in NW Ontario. Cement is one of their main priorities and mostly done with super sacks that are a pain to deal with. Most communities lack the infrastructure to deal with it in any other way. Cool weather this week will help but no way they get all that they need.

What they need is the helium filled air ships to become a thing after talking about it for quite some time now. I'm working on it.
A helium airship is to expensive and too slow. When I hauled fuel up to the mines, I was told the cost associated was somewhere around $35.00 a liter. If they don't get their quota, that cost is substantially higher because you can't ship that much fuel. A super can bring around 30,000 liters in one trip. The only time I've seen a road not get its quota to the mines was when it lost a troubled lake crucial to the road. On my last ice road, we sat for 10 days because of warm temps in the last El Nino. They'll just throw more trucks at it, and it will get done.
You'd get the joke if the tundra had ice roads in June.
Yes. :)

Reactions: petros

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Quick search informs that the top speed of the Goodyear blimp is 73 MPH with an average speed well below that. For short hauls it might do the job.

Flying Whales mentions a 60 tonne capacity but don't seem to be operating yet. Appear to be getting support form the Province of Quebec

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Quick search informs that the top speed of the Goodyear blimp is 73 MPH with an average speed well below that. For short hauls it might do the job.

Flying Whales mentions a 60 tonne capacity but don't seem to be operating yet. Appear to be getting support form the Province of Quebec

They have talked about it endlessly, but I'm doubtful.

Reactions: bob the dog