MSNBC not happy with Texas book choice

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Conservatives put stamp on Texas textbooks
New social studies curriculum stresses religion over evolution

AUSTIN, Texas - A far-right faction of the Texas State Board of Education succeeded Friday in injecting conservative ideals into social studies, history and economics lessons that will be taught to millions of students for the next decade.

Teachers in Texas will be required to cover the Judeo-Christian influences of the nation's Founding Fathers, but not highlight the philosophical rationale for the separation of church and state. Curriculum standards also will describe the U.S. government as a "constitutional republic," rather than "democratic," and students will be required to study the decline in value of the U.S. dollar, including the abandonment of the gold standard.
MORE

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
This is a bit much isn't it?

Conservatives also included a plank to ensure that students learn about “the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association,” The New York Times reported.

And this is just pure irony:
Numerous attempts to add the names or references to important Hispanics throughout history also were denied, inducing one amendment that would specify that Tejanos died at the Alamo alongside Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie. Another amendment deleted a requirement that sociology students "explain how institutional racism is evident in American society."

Oh my...

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Texas is part of Bible Belt. Given its choice, Texas would vote to set up a Fundamentalist Christian dictatorship, similar to Taliban in Afghanistan. So why would anybody be surprised by this move by the Christian Taliban?

Up until very recently, homosexuality was illegal in Texas, punishable by 10 years of imprisonment. A few years ago Texas police, acting on an anonymous tip, raided a house, broke open the door, stormed into the house and caught a couple in consensual homosexual act. The couple was charged under Texas sodomy law and spent time in prison.

The couple appealed the sentence and Texas government fought tooth and nail to keep the anti-homosexuality law on its statute books. Eventually sanity prevailed and a Republican dominated Supreme court declared the law to be unconstitutional (the three conservative Republican judges voted to uphold the law).

Whereupon the religious right in Texas (the same crowd which pushed through these draconian measures) was hopping mad, and vowed to restore the anti-homosexuality law as soon as possible.

All this really explain what kind of place Texas is. The religious right, Christian Taliban rules with iron fist there. So this outcome is not really surprising.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
This is a bit much isn't it?

Quote:
Conservatives also included a plank to ensure that students learn about “the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association,” The New York Times reported.

And this is just pure irony:
Quote:
Numerous attempts to add the names or references to important Hispanics throughout history also were denied, inducing one amendment that would specify that Tejanos died at the Alamo alongside Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie. Another amendment deleted a requirement that sociology students "explain how institutional racism is evident in American society."

Oh my...

I purposely quoted an MSNBC (Extreme Liberal) article for shock value...
and...just to show what the perception of biased journalism projects.

An article from a different unbiased source might have painted a different picture.....but they are hard to find these days...

And thirdly, I felt a bit trollish and I wanted to get a rise out of our local Blue Blood Troll...:smile:..........and it worked:lol: lolydo

Last edited:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
All the same, it is out there. Really out there. The parts I responded to are part of the public record. Whether a media outlet produces those or not, the content is what it is.

It's no different than if Greenpeace was directing curriculum for an environmental science textbook. One outlook, and the students miss out on context. That is selling their education short. A shame really.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I purposely quoted an MSNBC (Extreme Liberal) article for shock value...
and...just to show what the perception of biased journalism projects.

An article from a different unbiased source might have painted a different picture.....but they are hard to find these days...

And thirdly, I felt a bit trollish and I wanted to get a rise out of our local Blue Blood Troll...:smile:..........and it worked:lol: lolydo

Jebus Moe Christ, Sleeper..................."lolydo"!!!?

:lol::lol::lol:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
SirJosephPorter, you were totally discredited about your views on the so-called (by you) Bible Belt on another thread.

Like Einstein said: The best sign of insanity is repeating the same thing and expect different results.

And Heaven knows yoe repeat the Mother of all insanities: Joan of Arc enough times to declare you as certifiable.

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Jebus Moe Christ, Sleeper..................."lolydo"!!!?

:lol::lol::lol:

Heheheh!:hal

SirJosephPorter, you were totally discredited about your views on the so-called (by you) Bible Belt on another thread.

Like Einstein said: The best sign of insanity is repeating the same thing and expect different results.
Quite so YJ Quite so;-)
That Blue Blood ***** manages to twist and turn every thread into his own personal rant that we all know so well and I could have probably typed his post for him...:smile:
He is that predictable....same old same old
And all his little lap dogs pant behind him in agreement....
Bible Belt, religious right, homosexuality, are all too common terms used ad nauseum but there is a new one on me (Christian Taliban) , although I have to admit I have quit reading most of his posts a long time ago unless a new phrase catches my attention..:p

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

And Heaven knows yoe repeat the Mother of all insanities: Joan of Arc enough times to declare you as certifiable.

In your mind only, YJ. There was no way I was discredited about Bible Belt.

And what does Joan of Arc have to do with the subject, other than that she is a strong proponent of the Bible Belt. Though she is not from Texas, I assume she would enthusiastically welcome it if Texas were to secede from USA (their governor recently talked about seceding) and declares itself to be a Fundamentalists Christian Theocracy.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Apparently teaching about Thomas Jefferson and any mention of the historical period "The Enlightenment" is out, teaching about religious freedoms and their importance in the Republic is out, teaching about taxes and government regulation in, teaching about gun rights, in.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
In TexASS they still believe Columbus "discovered" America!

But of course. according to Texas, there was nothing in USA when Columbus came here, the whites developed a pristine pure wilderness. You can be sure that the word 'Indian' is never mentioned in the new textbooks, except in a disparaging manner.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
But of course. according to Texas, there was nothing in USA when Columbus came here, the whites developed a pristine pure wilderness. You can be sure that the word 'Indian' is never mentioned in the new textbooks, except in a disparaging manner.

Those fools, everyone knows it was St. Brendan, sailed his little round boat all the way to N. America and south to Jacksonville, Fl area. Yup it was the Irish.
:blob:​

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It is "interesting" when a story like this one comes out to watch what the different news organizations focus on....one really has to watch the story from different sources to filter out the bias of different reporters out there and then deal with their own personal bias afterward.

Some jump to conclusions not even in the story even going so far as making up stuff
Some are pretty extreme:lol: