MS/Giant Anti-Spyware beta released

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Kanotix. I will give it a try. I just added a second hard drive yesterday as you said in another post it would be better to have 2 hard drives with an O/S on each one instead of partitioning. I got an 80 gig one on sale. I have nothing to lose and lots to gain.

But Kanotix you can boot off disk but I think I will put it on my new harddrive.

But there were a few others I may want to try but I figure I will try Kanotix just to get the feel of it and heck if I like it I will keep it. It is really great how with Linux you can get a version that suites your needs instead of the one "generic" version from microsoft.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

Hopefully I can ditch XP. I should of stayed with windows 2000 as XP Pro was not much of an upgrade, just a waste of money. Plus it looks the same to me. It is the same platform as NT and 2000 anyways.

I like to control my computer and not have Bill Gates controlling it for me.

I will post later to let you know how I make out.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Kanotix. I will give it a try. I just added a second hard drive yesterday as you said in another post it would be better to have 2 hard drives with an O/S on each one instead of partitioning. I got an 80 gig one on sale. I have nothing to lose and lots to gain.

But Kanotix you can boot off disk but I think I will put it on my new harddrive.

But there were a few others I may want to try but I figure I will try Kanotix just to get the feel of it and heck if I like it I will keep it. It is really great how with Linux you can get a version that suites your needs instead of the one "generic" version from microsoft.

Hopefully I can ditch XP. I should of stayed with windows 2000 as XP Pro was not much of an upgrade, just a waste of money. Plus it looks the same to me. It is the same platform as NT and 2000 anyways.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Judland

Electoral Member
Oh, I like Kanotix very much. Works wonderfully for us and the support community is very good.

Yes, Quicktime should run fine for you. You need to install a decoder separately, but that's just because the Quicktime format is proprietary and should not be distributed with an OS deemed as open source.

I can tell you where to do that, when you're ready.

Of course, if it's Quicktime via a webpage, note that the movie will not play in the browser window itself (well mine doesn't). It's played via Xine, an outside application. But where the window appears shouldn't be too much of a concern.

E-mail or PM if you have any questions. I'll help if I can.

Good luck and have fun!

Judland

Electoral Member
Oh, I like Kanotix very much. Works wonderfully for us and the support community is very good.

Yes, Quicktime should run fine for you. You need to install a decoder separately, but that's just because the Quicktime format is proprietary and should not be distributed with an OS deemed as open source.

Of course, if it's Quicktime via a webpage, note that the movie will not play in the browser window itself (well mine doesn't). It's played via Xine, an outside application. But where the window appears shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Good luck and have fun!

Judland

Electoral Member

Good luck and have fun!

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Thanks. :)

I chose it as you mentioned it was a good one for a beginner and you could boot it off a disk. So It seemed like the best one to start with. Hopefully I will get it on sometime tonight.

By the way what browser would you reccomend? or does it come with one? I have Firefox and IE at the moment. Thanks

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I chose it as you mentioned it was a good one for a beginner and you could boot it off a disk. So It seemed like the best one to start with. Hopefully I will get it on sometime tonight.

By the way what browser would you reccomend? or does it come with one? I have Firefox and IE at the moment. Thanks

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Judland

Electoral Member
Kanotix has, by default, comes with the web browsers Mozilla Firefox and KDE's Konqueror.

By the way, you may want to take a quick look at my site: http://www.virtualsky.net/daves

Click on the "This Week's Episode" button. Right now, I've got a step-by-step how-to on installing Kanotix from the CD. It does not include setting up a dual boot system, but it may help you feel more comfortable in the whole installation process.

For dual booting, just don't install the boot loader over top of your system's existing MBR. When prompted for a reply in this regard, choose "the other option." I've only set up a dual boot system with W98, never with XP, so this process is something I've never had to go through myself. Again, if you're going to try an installation (rather than just booting from the CD), back up any critical data first.

Check out the Kanotix community forum, at http://kanotix.mipooh.net/ Do a search for messages relating to dual booting. There's most likely more information regarding this process there.

Judland

Electoral Member
Kanotix has, by default, comes with the web browsers Mozilla Firefox and KDE's Konqueror.

By the way, you may want to take a quick look at my site: http://www.virtualsky.net/daves

Click on the "This Week's Episode" button. Right now, I've got a step-by-step how-to on installing Kanotix from the CD. It does not include setting up a dual boot system, but it may help you feel more comfortable in the whole installation process.

For dual booting, just don't install the boot loader over top of your system's existing MBR. When prompted for a reply in this regard, choose "the other option." I've only set up a dual boot system with W98, never with XP, so this process is something I've never had to go through myself. Again, if you're going to try an installation (rather than just booting from the CD), back up any critical data first.

Check out the Kanotix community forum, at http://kanotix.mipooh.net/ Do a search for messages relating to dual booting. There's most likely more information regarding this process there.

Judland

Electoral Member

Judland

Electoral Member
Actually, I know we're off track from the original topic of this thread, and I apologize. But I can recall how I set up my first Linux PC.

I went and purchased a second hard drive, taking my W98 drive out of my system completely. I thought, I'll store the W98 drive in a safe place in case this Linux thing doesn't work out.

That was almost three years ago and just last month I plunked that old W98 drive into a 200MHz PC I had laying around the house and reformatted it with Linux. I never even started W98 up after that. I plum forgot about that drive until I found it again buried on a bookshelf. :)

Judland

Electoral Member
Actually, I know we're off track from the original topic of this thread, and I apologize. But I can recall how I set up my first Linux PC.

I went and purchased a second hard drive, taking my W98 drive out of my system completely. I thought, I'll store the W98 drive in a safe place in case this Linux thing doesn't work out.

That was almost three years ago and just last month I plunked that old W98 drive into a 200MHz PC I had laying around the house and reformatted it with Linux. I never even started W98 up after that. I plum forgot about that drive until I found it again buried on a bookshelf. :)

Judland

Electoral Member