Moving to BC, but where???

mavric772

Feb 22, 2008
Well then! How much would I have to spend for a lot 100x100 near Kelowna? How much is the household income that can afford a lot that's more than $50,000?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
vacant land in the kelowna area starts at 170 000, for a lot which doesn't specify a size other than being 'under 1 acre', according to mls.ca.

alypipes

May 8, 2008
southeast bc
I used to live between Nanaimo and Ladysmith, sold my house for just over 250k, the same house in Nanaimo was 350k and in Victoria probably 800k. Nice place to live but I'm a skier/sledder and missed winter.

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
Just wait a little, Real Estate is poised to come tumbling down here in Canada just as it has in the US, UK, Australia, Spain and every other Bubble market on this planet. Inflation is going up, interest rates should follow and credit is getting harder to come by. All recipes for lower Real Estate prices. Great for those who have money saved up, not so great for those who have nothing to put down.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The economy is taking a tumble, not just real estate.
Anyway, I would think that pretty much anywhere in BC would be open to you if you're a qualified 1st responder. If you're looking at city life, I would suggest that you find something a little out of town but near public transitCan save $ on fuel, insurance, etc. that way. Most of the oil work is going on next door in Alberta, but accomodation is getting to be a rarity. The Okanagan is expensive and it's a zoo. The Kootenays aren't bad nor are some places north. The lower mainland is a zoo.

Here's a faq link from the BC gov't about working as a paramedic here.
A little more info.

jasonk

Jan 13, 2011
Re: I need some help!!

Hi,

I'm from Windsor Ontario. I lived in Creek Side near Whistler BC back in 1998 for a year and a half "LOVED IT", but got depressed in the winter time due to the lack of sunlight and the grey clouds with all the rain. I've been reading allot of articles and already made several trips back with my girlfriend to the Okanogan reign. I loved Osoyoss and Summerland. I've been looking for some acreage to build a house and hunt, but a lot just outside the city would do. My price range is like $50,000 and all the properties I researched are no ware near that. If you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I'm a robot programmer and my future wife is a math teacher and has been in Windsor for 11 years. I love the outdoors and think BC in general is Gods gift to Canadians. P.S. the first thing I'd do is buy an ATV and boot around some awesome trail with my fishing pole.

Thanks,

Joe

Are you still interested in robot programming? Please contact me at 1-800-889-3370.
Thanks,
Jason

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I live in Kelowna, it has all the modern conveniences of any place in the Province including
an international airport. In spring you can ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon.
I have grandsons who in fact work on the rigs in Alberta and northern BC they drive or fly in
and out all the time, some of my friends also work on rigs in the Middle East and fly home.
We have all the golf, skiing, pools for swimming, boating and what else would you like to do.
Our Junior football team is one one the best in the country, We have a major Junior hockey
team along with some of the best schools in the province. Kelowna hospital is a regional
institution and we have a branch of the University of BC and a trades college here as well.
Great place to live and the weather is pretty good too year round. Today is one of those
after snow days. We don't get real cold, and usually we don't get that much snow in the
valley itself, but by the last few days you wouldn't know it.
Check out kelowna it is in the center of the Okanagan Valley and the biggest center in the valley

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Richmond, East Hastings, Surrey, all good locations to go... hahaha....

Depends what you want. If you want to live in multiculturalism than go to Richmond, Surrey; et al. If you want actual Canadians as neighbours and want to interact with (non-consumer) Canadian culture than I recommend cities on Vancouver Island and the Valley (Kaleowna, Penticton, et al).

Myself I frequently go between Van island, Prince George and Penticton and I wouldn't recommend Prince George.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Richmond, East Hastings, Surrey, all good locations to go... hahaha....

Depends what you want. If you want to live in multiculturalism than go to Richmond, Surrey; et al. If you want actual Canadians as neighbours and want to interact with (non-consumer) Canadian culture than I recommend cities on Vancouver Island and the Valley (Kaleowna, Penticton, et al).

Myself I frequently go between Van island, Prince George and Penticton and I wouldn't recommend Prince George.
Ya! Prince George gives me the trotz.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Chilliwack has amongst the most affordable real estate and rents in BC. It's about 60 miles from Vancouver, which is long for a commute, but fine for a day's shopping, major entertainment, sports events. The city has good schools, libraries, public recreational facilities.. while retaining a small town feel. It's in the Fraser Valley, in the Coastal Mountains. Get used to the rain (we live in a temperate rain forest).. from November to April or so.. and its a good place to live and raise a family.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ya. Move to the lower mainland. Don't even consider the Kootenays unless you are a rabid environmentalist, then its OK. You will feel right at home. Loggers, miners and other rapers and pillagers of natural resources need not apply.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Hello all,

I am wanting to move to BC shortly (from Australia) with my wife and children.

We will need a house as I think our family is a bit big for an apartment, plus used to having our own bit of space. Upon arrival we will be looking to rent a house for a while, at least until we feel settled and have a better idea of the place. Problem is we are not sure where to start looking.

In Aus, the real estate agents also manage rental properties and you can get plenty of info from them but it appears that in Canada its usually handled privately by the owners on an individual basis.

I guess I am looking for suggestions of good places to settle with a young family wher we can rent something around $1,000 - $1,400 per month, probably 4 bedrooms etc..

Any ideas would be welcome!

Cheers,
Kev.

Here is a Business opportunity!
Buy a Kootenays Home 5 Acres Mini Storage Convenience Store business for sale on Businesses For Sale .com

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
Anything within a 50 mile radius of Vancouver is YUCK. The most insane traffic in the country. A couple million people squished into a sardine can.

Anywhere in B.C. is is great outside of the Vancouver Metropolitan area.

As a longtime resident of Greater Vancouver I have to disagree about traffic. It is nowhere the worst in the world. It is normal for a a large area with 2.2 million people. Step across the border, go to Toronto or Montreal for more complicated traffic. Actually, any large metorpolis across the world has worse traffic than the lower mainland of BC.

Hello all,

We will need a house as I think our family is a bit big for an apartment, plus used to having our own bit of space. Upon arrival we will be looking to rent a house for a while, at least until we feel settled and have a better idea of the place. Problem is we are not sure where to start looking.

In Aus, the real estate agents also manage rental properties and you can get plenty of info from them but it appears that in Canada its usually handled privately by the owners on an individual basis.

I guess I am looking for suggestions of good places to settle with a young family wher we can rent something around $1,000 - $1,400 per month, probably 4 bedrooms etc..

Cheers,
Kev.

North Vancouver, Vancouver, West Vancouver and all the other little former towns and cities that comprise Greater Vancouver are expensive. Even outer areas such as Abbotsford are not so cheap. This is a beautiful part of the world and the people just keep coming. A note about quaint city of Victoria. It is on Vancouver Island and it is VERY EXPENSIVE to go back and forth the the mainland. I do not think groceries are less expensive there either. No matter where you live there are going to be issues but if you want to be able to drive into Vancouver then the Islands, interior and northern areas of BC are out of the question. We live in an old apartment building with a river view: 2 beds and it cost us $1200.00 per month in New Westminster. Best to go online to Vancouver Craiglist vancouver, BC apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist or Greater Vancouver Rental Properties Directory Greater Vancouver BC Rental Housing and other such helpful areas get a good idea. Surrey, though cheaper, has large East Indian population with Sikh youth who fancy themselves "warriors" though they are just thugs. There are huge problems in parts of Surrey and Delta. East Vancouver is a huge no-no. Various areas of Vancouver are unsafe really, like in any large city, so do your homework well.
Peoples' ideas of where is a wonderful place to live are as diverse as their palates. Some think greasy fast food is good nutrition so be wary about suggestions and always do your own research. We are not traditionally hysterical flag-waving patriots for we know who we are already though some of the younger generations are being influenced by the American hype and are more excitiable.
Good luck to you and yours. Most of us are just content to be quietly Canadian.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Start in sunny Surrey if you want to golf year round.
Besides our bedroom suburb (Vancouver) is just across the river! :lol:

SURREY, BC, Canada -- Fraser Valley Guide: Cloverdale, Crescent Beach, Fleetwood, Guildford, Newton, Ocean Park, Port Kells, Port Mann, South Surrey

LOL what do they call that river that seperates China from India??

The Fraser River.. :lol:

(Richmond from Surrey for all you thick headed folks)

Hello all,

Cheers,
Kev.

British Columbia is just about the most beautiful Province in Canada, but the worse to live if you ask me, at least if you live in the lower mainland.

Jobs to not pay very well and not to many of them in the region.

Over priced housing, unless you buy in Chilliwack and smell cow sh.it all day.

Endless traffic, and endless construction..

The only province to actually charge for health care services each month.. Alberta is 100% free.

Rain, rain and more rain..

HST 15% on everything.. before it excluded necessities such as diapers, now the government got greedy as usual

New art gallery, towers and roof for BC Place passes Vancouver council

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-co...bc-place-pavoc-development.html#ixzz1BD9QItjs