Mount Poly tailing pond breaches............................

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
A catastropic failure of a tailings pond in North America pretty rare. I'm interested to find out what happened. Looks like it was a sudden breach.

Hmmm, on further reseacrh I don't think I was right about this. Juts finished reading a paper on tailings dam failures. The author estimates that the chance of failure of a hydroelectric dam is less than 1 in 10,000 per year. The failure of a tailings dam he estimates at somewhere between 1 in 700 to 1 in 1750, making tailings dams several times more likely to fail. Gl.obally the author estimates 2 to 5 major dam failures globally a year. Quite a few failures even here in BC.

This is one of rthe reasons mines are more and more wanting to use natural water bodies as tailings ponds--much more geotechnially stable, and saves them a bundle of money.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It will now just turn into a big game of damage control and passing the buck.

The tailings pond was obviously a poorly inspected substandardly engineered and pushed beyond its limits.

One employee who was in charge of the pond recommended so many thousands of tons of rock brought in to reinforce quit just last May because this company refused to fix the problem and decided to gamble with the environment at the cost of the people of British Columbia.

The company was awaiting a discharge permit from the Province.

There were very very deep frosts last winter. This is purely the result of global warming.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I'm curious. Has anyone done a 'study' of the effects of the raw sewage from BC's capital city on the fish populations in the ocean?

A few studies were done. They are easily available online. Most concluded that there was a toxic zone directly around the outfall (not surprising). One noted that certain persistent pollutants were accumulating on the sea floor around the outfall area.

When it gets brought up publicly the City of Victoria starts acting a lot like Alberta does when the discussion of the oilsands comes up.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Still takes copper to makes and distributes that fancy shmancy newfangled electricity stuff to run everything including a rescued from recycling PC with stolen XP to complain about society with.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
A few studies were done. They are easily available online. Most concluded that there was a toxic zone directly around the outfall (not surprising). One noted that certain persistent pollutants were accumulating on the sea floor around the outfall area.

Pharmaceuticals and phosphates.... Not a pretty addition to such a sensitive ecosystem

When it gets brought up publicly the City of Victoria starts acting a lot like Alberta does when the discussion of the oilsands comes up.

AB and Sask actually do something about it... Where's Victoria, BC and the ecotards on their position?

... That's right, pointing fingers at everyone else in an attempt to deflect the issue

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Pharmaceuticals and phosphates.... Not a pretty addition to such a sensitive ecosystem

AB and Sask actually do something about it... Where's Victoria, BC and the ecotards on their position?

... That's right, pointing fingers at everyone else in an attempt to deflect the issue
Is that why you are deflecting the topic away from the Mount Poly debacle? You have money invested in that disaster?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is that why you are deflecting the topic away from the Mount Poly debacle? You have money invested in that disaster?
Which part was the most disastrous? Last winter's frost or waiting on a discharge permit knowing it will relieve pressure?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I was listening to an interview the other day and a former engineer stated clearly
he told them a few years ago the pond was not built to hand the volume of water
in the pond.
Everyone is playing duck and cover because this is going to be the finger pointing
to Land G and other pipelines. No they are not connected but the various social and
environmental movements will connect them soon