More reasons for stupid baby names

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Don't know what my parents were on when they decided to name me and my 2 siblings.

Keith, Karen and Kenneth.

Made for a lot of stuttering when my mom got pissed off at us I'll tell you. K-k-k-k-k-k-k.....come here you!

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I've always preferred the common simple names like John, Bill, Tom and George. I also don't mind others that are common today, like Bibical names. What I hate are pretentious sounding names and names not given the common spelling. The poor kid has to spell his name his whole life.

Exactly. Parents who give their children cutsie names or who spell common names in an exotic manner are not doing their children any favours. As you pointed out the kids will be correcting the spelling of their names for their entire lives. Even something as seemingly innocuous as calling a child by his or her middle name instead of the first name cam be annoying. I know; I am a middle name child and have been correcting people all of my life. I find it especially annoying when people at banks and other businesses call me by my first name when they really have no idea who I am.

Parents should also be aware that their is no guarantee that the name they give their child will be the one used. Nicknames are common and I expect "Celestial Moonbeam" will end up being called "Celest" by her friends. Even traditional names can end up being a problem if the parents don't consider the initials. I once knew a young girl called "Betty June." Her friends referred to her by her initials.