More Greed to hit the Olympics

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Some people have more guts than a slaughterhouse. Just heard on the news that restaurants in Vancouver during the Olympics will be charging a minimum of 18% gratuity for tables of 6 or more diners. Where do these people come from with all these balls? Tips are supposed to be a voluntary show of good service. 10-12% is plenty. Especially considering the cost of meals these days.

Some restaurants down here do that, you can still cross out the 18% figure if you want and input anything you want. Tips are never mandatory. They are a gratuity for good service.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I wonder if Vancouver Olympics will bring in as much money as the Super Bowl and Pro Bowl did?

Not likely. However, it's a sure bet it will spend more. I don't think it was meant to be a "profitable venture" (in terms of money only), and there is no doubt they will achieve that goal, possibly beyond anyone's wildest "dreams."

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Some restaurants down here do that, you can still cross out the 18% figure if you want and input anything you want. Tips are never mandatory. They are a gratuity for good service.

That is the way I see it. For a waiter to expect a tip is crass and presumptuous to say the least.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I heard on the news today that some dork is asking $7000 for the remainder of Feb from whoever wants to park in his yard. Another wants $2000 for Feb and March. Man talk about gouging. The neat thing is the neighbor of one of these gougers across the road is charging $5 a day or something like that. lol

Canaduh

Derailing Threads
Mar 7, 2008
Southwest WA
I wonder if Vancouver Olympics will bring in as much money as the Super Bowl and Pro Bowl did?

It brings a lot of new infrastructure such as roads, housing, sporting venues etc that the Superbowl doesn't. So comparing them simply by monetary value isn't fair, even if I do agree they are a waste of money.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I heard on the news today that some dork is asking $7000 for the remainder of Feb from whoever wants to park in his yard. Another wants $2000 for Feb and March. Man talk about gouging. The neat thing is the neighbor of one of these gougers across the road is charging $5 a day or something like that. lol

That is very noble of that guy who's charging the $5 but down there in that "jungle" he's going to get himself killed. People who will put up $7000 need their heads looked at. Personally you couldn't pay me $7000 to attend the 2010 charade.