Moody's predicts Alberta's credit rating will fall due to record deficits

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It comes as a big surprise to the Flosster... he still doesn't understand why Ontario has more debt per capita than California despite having less than 1/10 their population
ON is more like 1/3 of CA's population.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Gee, is that the same Moody's that put their seal of approval on the sub-prime mortgage scam? I think one needs at least a shred of credibility if one is going to go around issuing credit ratings. Although I don't really understand how that kind of credit rating system works. Take the US for example. Several credit rating agencies around the world downgraded the US credit rating from AAA to AA+ in 2011. How the hell does that work? If China ever called in all its chits, the US would be completely screwed. The US is already so deep in debt that every single corporation, every single small and medium unincorporated business and about half of the American citizenry would have to divest themselves of every single last asset they had just for the US to reach the break even point. And that's not even counting the deficit.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
ON is more like 1/3 of CA's population.
... and Canada's as well.

Anyway, we've had several terms now of spendthrift Liberals in power, here and there doesn't seem to be any ceiling to he debt. Ontario missed a good opportunity to fire the Liberals recently because the Conservative Party here insists on running well to the right, convinced of the righteousness oif their cause. The Ontario public, though, inhabit the middle, not the very right and didn't bite. It looks as if the Tories are going to make the same mistake the next time around, too.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
oh, there is a shocker.
I wonder if Notley is related to Harcourt and Clark (BC premiers).
Is it a family thing or a party thing?

Party thing. They like o party with OPM.

Ah. I think I heard of the course. The "How to kill jobs, chase businesses out, make gov't huge, and cause massive public debt 101" course. It seems more popular than I thought.

Prereq rot freeloader 110.

Flossy has never struck me as somebody that understands basic economics. Most on the left don't. Unfortunately for Canada, the right has lost that understanding as well

No the true conservatives know, it is just that the social conservatives don't much care about such things as long as they can push their agenda.

Gee, is that the same Moody's that put their seal of approval on the sub-prime mortgage scam? I think one needs at least a shred of credibility if one is going to go around issuing credit ratings. Although I don't really understand how that kind of credit rating system works. Take the US for example. Several credit rating agencies around the world downgraded the US credit rating from AAA to AA+ in 2011. How the hell does that work? If China ever called in all its chits, the US would be completely screwed. The US is already so deep in debt that every single corporation, every single small and medium unincorporated business and about half of the American citizenry would have to divest themselves of every single last asset they had just for the US to reach the break even point. And that's not even counting the deficit.

Nah. They can just file for bankruptcy protection. Maybe pay 10 cents on the dollar. See if you owe the banksters a little they got you by the balls and will squeeze hard. BUT when you owe the bastards way more than you are worth you got their slimy little balls in a vice and they will do whatever is necessary to keep you from going under.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
The borrowers, both Provincial and Federal couldn't do a better job of turning this country into a 'have-not' country if they had planned it all out. I wonder if that's what they did?
Borrowing and spending leads to taxing. Won't 'spend and tax' just make us all ecstatic?