Missing boy safe at home

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
They had a sighting yesterday in the pass so not confirmed but if hes in the bush he wont be able to hide much.we have lots of traffic in the bush doing this triple 7 powerline including 4 choppers,then you have forestry helitack flying steady and lots of volunteers prowling the bush including the quad club.Most roads into the bush here are now gated also and there is no way around these gates short of cutting the lock.I think hes hiding in town.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Just heard on C.B.C. radio that he was returned to his home at 3:00 this morning. This is better than Christmas folks!

That is the best news possible! I will admit that when I heard that the boy had been abducted(and allegedly by a guy with a lengthy criminal record), I didn't hold out much hope for the boy being found alive. Thank goodness that wasn't the case. I hope with all my heart that he wasn't physically abused in any way, and that his mental scars won't be too deep. Maybe due to his young age, this won't affect him too much when he gets older.:(

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In my mind, something is fishy here. A person gains entry to a house in
the middle of the night and abducts a three year old. Five days later he/she
does the same thing in reverse and drops the kid off, again in the middle of
the night, but this time through the police tape, I saw footage of this kid
playing happily with other kids with no apparrent symptoms of his ordeal.

I'm happy the kid is back but I can't help but feel something is missing
here.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I agree its wonderful news however there is something nagging me here. They put out
a message to the accused, and he did what they expected he might do. Now follow the
bouncing ball for a moment.
First of all we heard how the Amber Alert was mishandled, we heard they were searching
far and wide, in BC, Alberta, and Washington State. They speculated he could be hiding
in deep woods or back roads or far from Sparwood.
Well it turns out the suspect was hiding under their nose and heard the radio plea to
return the boy. It may be they knew he was close by, in that case why the hell didn't they
set up a trap at the family home, just in case the child was returned there in the wee hours
of the morning? That is what happened and now they have to start a second expensive
search for the suspect and God knows how it will end. It could have ended last night with
the return of the child and the surrender of the suspect/
In any event I hope the child is able to get past this without serious damage and that they
get the suspect off the street without bloodshed

I was wondering how he got away with returning the boy right under the noses of the RCMP too, DG.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In my mind, something is fishy here. A person gains entry to a house in
the middle of the night and abducts a three year old. Five days later he/she
does the same thing in reverse and drops the kid off, again in the middle of
the night, but this time through the police tape, I saw footage of this kid
playing happily with other kids with no apparrent symptoms of his ordeal.

I'm happy the kid is back but I can't help but feel something is missing
here.

You are quite right #Juan, there is a lot missing here, everything the cops feel would jeopardize the investigation or chance of conviction. I think the cops got the message to Hoppy that he could drop the kid off in the middle of the night without fear of immediate arrest and for a very good reason. I guess I just don't find the case particularly baffling. So far the results have been perfect - the suspect has been identified, everybody in the world knows who he is, now is the time to relax and when he least suspects it he'll get nabbed.

I was wondering how he got away with returning the boy right under the noses of the RCMP too, DG.

When there's a hostage in the balance, and you're not sure of the temperment of the suspect, it's wise to humour them! :smile:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
While I'm Happy to hear the child has been returned there are so many holes in this story-I think there's a lot we haven't been told.

If there is any hope of successfully prosecuting Hoppy, I would hope there's a LOT we haven't been told. Actually there's not much to tell, now, the kid is safe and seemingly unharmed and I'm sure when Hoppy is captured they will let us know. Guess a lot of people have a "slow" life which leads to nosiness.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I dont know why so many think something fishy went on here.the kid was abducted and returned,the guy was just arrested a few weeks ago for squatting on someones property and to put him behind bars for awhile is going to take lots of evidence,something they didnt have the first time he tried this. Every man,woman and dog here is looking for this guy right now.
He would be smart to turn himself in before some of the elk valley or pass boys get ahold of him.
My scanner is going steady with possible sightings so lots and lots of feet on the ground and eyes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Global Calgary | Randall Hopley arrested in Alberta

Police are searching for an accomplice. I hate when creepers find one another.

That's good news for all concerned. Just hope people with a "hanging mentality" don't go off half cocked, and are vigilant about getting all the facts. They didn't choose the most flattering photo to plaster all over the country for the whole wide world to see. First of all they should determine if he is a pedophile or merely a person with a child's mentality. I suspect it COULD be the latter. Guess a shrink should be able to figure that out.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's good news for all concerned. Just hope people with a "hanging mentality" don't go off half cocked, and are vigilant about getting all the facts. They didn't choose the most flattering photo to plaster all over the country for the whole wide world to see. First of all they should determine if he is a pedophile or merely a person with a child's mentality. I suspect it COULD be the latter. Guess a shrink should be able to figure that out.

Leaving the kid unharmed and returning him alive both go against the theory he is a pedophile to me. Most of them don't really have any concience about their deeds.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Leaving the kid unharmed and returning him alive both go against the theory he is a pedophile to me. Most of them don't really have any concience about their deeds.

In the 1980s, Hopley served two years in federal prison for sexual assault. In 2002, he served a three-month conditional sentence for break and enter charges.

Just two months later, Hopley served a one-month conditional sentence for theft under $5,000.
In 2006 Hopley received a nine-month conditional sentence for another break-and-enter in Sparwood.

One year later, Hopley was again in trouble with the law on charges of break and enter, unlawful confinement and the attempted abduction of a person under 16 years old. He served 18 months, pleading guilty to break and enter charges. The other charges were dropped.

In April 2011, he served a two-month term for an assault that took place in Sparwood.

Read it on Global News: Global Edmonton | Who is Randall Peter Hopley?

There was another story I was unable to obtain that stated Hopley had a bunch of childrens clothing and sex toys in a cabin and that the family who owned it was so disgusted they demolished it. I haven't been able to find that link.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
In the 1980s, Hopley served two years in federal prison for sexual assault. In 2002, he served a three-month conditional sentence for break and enter charges.

There was another story I was unable to obtain that stated Hopley had a bunch of childrens clothing and sex toys in a cabin and that the family who owned it was so disgusted they demolished it. I haven't been able to find that link.

Certainly raises more questions than answers. I think it safe to say he has a problem.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

No doubt there is some truth in the reports, and he could very well be a dangerous offender who deserves to be hanged, but it can also be dangerous to make that assumption based on a conviction from the 80s and then someone's finding based on believing that what they found is consistant with the conviction. David Milgaard served 23 years in jail based on just that sort of thing. Did Hopley place the sex toys in the cabin?

Certainly raises more questions than answers. I think it safe to say he has a problem.

That much can be said with all certainty! :smile:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
He was found on the Alberta side of the border but very close to the Alta/B.C border right across from summit lime works at Drains rock quarry here in the pass.About 2 miles into Alberta on the north side of the highway,guess he was bunking down there or something.

The old liberal govt. would have him out in a week,on house arrest maybe,Stevies been beefing up the prisons since he took power.
So no matter how long he gets,I hope they put out a warning when the let him out on where he is going to reside.People have a right to know when the let a guy like this out of prison and where he is going to live.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He was found on the Alberta side of the border but very close to the Alta/B.C border right across from summit lime works at Drains rock quarry here in the pass.About 2 miles into Alberta on the north side of the highway,guess he was bunking down there or something.

The old liberal govt. would have him out in a week,on house arrest maybe,Stevies been beefing up the prisons since he took power.
So no matter how long he gets,I hope they put out a warning when the let him out on where he is going to reside.People have a right to know when the let a guy like this out of prison and where he is going to live.

I agree, so far he's been charged with two breaches of probation- with any luck he should be out for the weekend. (I'm guessing it's going to be a long time before all the charges are laid)

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I agree, so far he's been charged with two breaches of probation- with any luck he should be out for the weekend. (I'm guessing it's going to be a long time before all the charges are laid)
I think he's going to be in protective custody for a bit,from what I heard lots of the search teams were heavily armed and i'm talking locals.This is the pass and the Elk Valley here.2 coal mining communities that have been through their share of tough times.
This was the last pass through the Rockies to be discovered because the Crow had a curse on it and bad things allways happened in the pass.

Last edited: