Minimum wage should be $0

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
we pretty much have one now in Canada with social assistance, most if not all first world nations have one in some form or another.

When my son was very ill and under doctor's orders not to work he collected this "social assistance" for a few months, let me assure you it was no assistance just a social detriment. They give you almost enough to eat, lucky he was able to live with us while he recuperated. If you happen to need something like a pair of shoe laces or a pocket comb you are screwed. For people who refuse to work I'm all in favour of it, but it's no way to treat a decent human being who is unable to work.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
When my son was very ill and under doctor's orders not to work he collected this "social assistance" for a few months, let me assure you it was no assistance just a social detriment. They give you almost enough to eat, lucky he was able to live with us while he recuperated. If you happen to need something like a pair of shoe laces or a pocket comb you are screwed. For people who refuse to work I'm all in favour of it, but it's no way to treat a decent human being who is unable to work.
agreed, it isn't, and neither is it anyway to treat a single woman alone who is raising kids...the kids deserve to eat not pay for what some consider to be "the sins of the parents". We pay now, or we pay later but regardless we as a society are going to "pay".

we waste so much money that could be going to help those less fortunate and building a stronger more productive society...part of the problem is those most likely to judge and condemn understand psychology/human nature the least yet they are the loudest and often the most ignorant and persistne when it comes to human nature...thus the mess we create

pretty much self-fulfilling

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Anybody willing to work 40 hours a week should be paid a wage that allows them to rent an apartment, buy a car, put food on the table, have cable and internet, take a modest vacation annually, buy a few presents for family and friends, and put a little by.

If you can't get that for working, what's the point?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Anybody willing to work 40 hours a week should be paid a wage that allows them to rent an apartment, buy a car, put food on the table, have cable and internet, take a modest vacation annually, buy a few presents for family and friends, and put a little by.

If you can't get that for working, what's the point?

I doubt anyone disagrees with that. I think the real question is whether raising the minimum wage is the way to achieve it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The sad part of it is, when minimum wage does reach $20 an hour or $30, the number of people who believe we'll actually be better off. Can't they learn from the past. When I first started working the minimum wage was $1 an hour or less and the poor folks then were actually better off than the poor folks today. A family then could live (after a fashion) on $1 an hour and the vast majority of families only had one wage earner. You could rent a good house for $30 a month.